I Have Anhedonia from Dealing with Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by Grand05, Feb 21, 2020.

1. Grand05

Grand05 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ear infection
      Like, I want to try SSRI or other antidepressants but they make tinnitus and visual snow worse, see: https://news.ohsu.edu/2017/08/22/study-suggests-serotonin-may-worsen-tinnitus

How can I function and cope, if SSRI were my last resort I was hoping on, but they will never help me, because they will destroy my soul by increasing tinnitus (I took Effexor and I stopped, because of increased tinnitus that still hasn't subsided).

I don't find much joy in life, I developed severe depression and anxiety from tinnitus and visual snow, and I developed even worse anxiety from realising that SSRI can make this worse or other meds for that matter. I've read so many messages on this forum, and the more I read in general, the more suicidal I feel, knowing that it can get worse and nothing can be done. Lack of joy is called anhedonia, I googled that and I match that perfectly and that gave me more anxiety from realising that I fit it. I'm so deep in the grave, it's scary. I'm 23 years old, I'm afraid of things to come (or that nothing will actually change for the better). I'm also jobless, living with my unsupportive parents, it's hell, I really wish no one had to go through this.

• Hug Hug x 9
    2. PugDog1

PugDog1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Low iron, low b12, chronic sinusitis
      I was on SSRI and it didn’t make a difference to my tinnitus! It got me through a rough patch as well, I also attended some self help sessions with a therapist and it really helped to just have someone listen to me! Are you UK? If so you can refer yourself for therapy via the NHS x Hope this helps xx

3. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      Typically for tinnitus doctors prescribe benzos, or other meds like paroxetine or clonazepam (rivotril), but I don't know if they really work. You will have to go to a doctor to get proper information on the right medication and its dose.

4. HeavyMantra
      Bugridden

HeavyMantra Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Steadily worsening since 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Try exercise, cold showers, natural supplements. There is no evidence to support that SSRIs are more effective than these simple things.

• Agree Agree x 2