I Heard Someone of Being Cured After Taking Anti-Fungal Drug?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Weswhat, Sep 15, 2015.

tinnitus forum
    1. Weswhat

Weswhat Member

Tinnitus Since:
      I read somewhere that someone was cured of tinnitus after taking anti-fungal drugs. She claimed the antibiotic she took that she thought caused her tinnitus might have destroyed the bacteria that helps keeps fungus/mold from growing in your ears. Anyone ever hear of such a thing?

• Like Like x 1
    2. glynis-harbron
      Feminine

glynis-harbron Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Ambassador Team Awareness Team Research

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Hi Weswhat,
      I have not heard about it but
      If the person has allergies the medication reduces mucous and help tinnitus if allergies are a trigger.......lots of love glynis

3. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound, though never proven
      I have heard of that, as well as a similar case of someone taking anti-virals. Given that Medicine doesn't even try to rule out potential reversible causes with us, I consider both these stories to be quite plausible. One of the things learned through HIV Medicine over the years was that conditions that had traditionally been sheeted home to "autoimmunity" (dermatoses particularly) had indeed turned out to have a causative organism, often fungal in origin.

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. erik
      Breezy

erik Manager Staff Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      I have also heard about some people being cured by doing absolutely nothing at all. There is no one size fits all. Everything is a possibility and nothing is a possibility.

• Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 2
    5. InfiniteLoop
      Sunshine

InfiniteLoop Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure. Long term microbial overgrowth?
      I am in my fourth month of prescription antifungals (Fluconazole) and hoping to cure my T. My T is very fluctuating, has very complex sounds, and has cyclical patterns. This second year since T onset I had additional subtle symptoms: some strange mouth taste and texture, and I was very fatigued. The ENTs and Infectious Disease doctors ignored my theories about the T and other symptoms being related to a long term low level systemic infection, so I have to medicate myself. I will know in a few more weeks, and perhaps I will have an awesome success story (or an epic failure). Wish me luck.

• Like Like x 6
    6. Cheza
      Wishful

Cheza Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barking dogs/stress
      Good luck! (y)

7. Poyraz

Poyraz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      February 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzos, Stress, Anxiety, Loud Music, Jaw Problems. Who knows
    8. bill 112
      Studious

bill 112 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      My T started from a fungal infection,an anti fungal solution was put in my ear as well as anti fungal anti-biotics.Within a week my T halfed in intensity and continued to do so before disappearing.One noisy night out and it returned :(

9. Poyraz

Poyraz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      February 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzos, Stress, Anxiety, Loud Music, Jaw Problems. Who knows
      I don't know if I got T from an infection but it has appeared dizziness for two night in a row and even one morning I woke up to puke. My ears came perfect. My doctor said that I might have inner ear infection and that may cause T. Should I try antifungals?

10. bill 112
      Studious

bill 112 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      I'm not sure what the course of action is for inner ear infections but I believe steroids and waiting it out is the usual treatment,well from what I see online it is.If it started after a virus I.e flu then I'd imagine it may help but that is entirely up to your ENT.

• Like Like x 1
    11. InfiniteLoop
      Sunshine

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Just a quick update to my previous Sept 15th entry on this thread. I am still on anti-fungal treatment, now in the eleventh month. I am following a low sugar diet, probiotics, natural antifungals and still some rounds of fluconazole. The last two months have been the best since my T ordeal started two years ago. The T cycles seems softer, and habituation has started to kick in. I still suspect that my T is not from hearing loss, and I am going to stay a few months longer on this treatment. ENTs and doctors are useless, they will not spend any time looking for root cause, either is hearing loss or unknown.

• Informative Informative x 3
    12. Cheza
      Wishful

Cheza Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barking dogs/stress
      I read that sort of comment over and over on this forum and elsewhere on the Internet, "ENTs and doctors are useless." It's very discouraging. I also read occasional comments from people with tinnitus who are very happy with their ENT or doctor, and it usually means their healthcare practitioner is willing to listen to them and make a sincere effort to treat the tinnitus as well as the accompanying anxiety, depression, or whatever other problems tag along with the T. Especially in the beginning of this affliction, it's incredibly important to have someone with specialized expertise.

It would be nice to have a resource link on this forum where people can list the names of an ENT or other practitioner who actually did them some good, kind of like a referral list. Then we don't have to waste our time with the ones who dismiss us with "go home and live with it," and instead we could go directly to the ones who listen to us carefully and have proven themselves to be helpful. The referral list could be broken down in categories such as ENT, otoneurologist, acupuncturist, naturopath, etc. For example, I think a couple folks in Australia have mentioned an excellent source for treatment there. That would be a good person to add to the list.

• Like Like x 1
    13. InfiniteLoop
      Sunshine

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Cheza @RaZaH

Update to my early April entry. My T keeps evolving on the right direction, and I am starting to believe that the antimicrobial overgrowth treatment (mostly antifungal) is really working. This is going to be a crazy story about the possible root causes for idiopathic T. For a long time I thought like most people that I have hearing loss related T, but reality can outplay fiction. Given how slowly this thing has been moving, I will think that I have at least another month of significant T. I will update in a few weeks. This time I really think that I am getting close to the end of my T journey.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    14. Marie79

Marie79 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/1/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      What is the anti fungal drug?

15. Cheza
      Wishful

Cheza Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barking dogs/stress
      This is what @InfiniteLoop said about the drug and tinnitus history:
      I think this type of approach might work if one also has similar accompanying symptoms. For the rest of us, not likely, unfortunately.

16. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Anti-fungal treatments can take a long time top complete, and even then you can be mopping up almost continuously, especially with difficult-to-reach locations.

17. InfiniteLoop
      Sunshine

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Marie79

I have taken multiple rounds of fluconazole in the last year. Right now, I am only on natural antifungals (goldenseal, olive leaf extract, oil of oregano, caprylic acid, black walnut, aloe vera, ginger, grapefruit seed extract, Pau D'arco tea, etc....) and some immune system enhancers (astragalus, cat's claw herb,echinacea). I am taking probiotics and deep in a sugar/carb free diet.

@Cheza:

I had no other symptoms besides tinnitus during the first year, and the other symptoms are very subtle and can be easily overlooked. Indeed, for a long time I believed that only hearing loss could be the cause of my problem, and I do have some very high frequency hearing loss in that ear (>8KHz), but I had the hearing loss for more than 30 years from an ear infection when I was a teenager. What I will question to many people with no clear cause of T, or weak causes is that they should check all possibilities. To me the main clue is the enormous variety of sounds that I have, the slow drones and the fast electrical tempos of my sounds. The very cyclical character: one or two days quiet with drones, and one very active day with high tempo and electrical pulsing current noises. It feels to me like the ebbs and flows of a colony rather than a "broken piano key" from hearing loss. This kind of T is very reactive to continuous noise: car noise, air conditioning noise, cooking noise, and it feels like the sound is going through electrical mud. Masking the fast tempo noise will turn into slow tempo noise. I do not think that this is the common experience for hearing loss T. Indeed, I was systematically ignored by any General doctors, ENTs, Audiologists and Infectious Disease Doctors, but just exemplifies the enormous bias and profound lack of understanding of this condition in the 21st century. Let's see how the story ends in a few months, but I believe that my very curable case of T from microbial overgrowth was turn almost into truly chronic case by medical incompetency.

• Like Like x 2
      • Creative Creative x 1
    18. InfiniteLoop
      Sunshine

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Update to May entry:

More progress on the right direction. I am increasing the dosage of all the natural anti-fungals. The end of my T is near. I can sense it after 28 months in hell.

• Like Like x 3
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    19. Sparkle92

Sparkle92 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/16, constant since 3/1/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus, Allergies, TMJ, Stress
      @InfiniteLoop i see you mentioned your t sounds fast. Mine is a fast sound too with multiple frequencies and changes often. I also hear it from the side of my head. Can I ask how your diet is working out? I am going to try it as well.

20. InfiniteLoop
      Sunshine

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Update to June:

Slow progress. Keeping on probiotics, prebiotics, natural antifungals and no sugar/no carb diet. I found a new natural anti fungal called Kolorex that seems to be working out really well (only 10 days on it so far). I could never imagine that I will have to go through this treatment for so long, and I am still on it because really believe that my T is not from hearing loss and that the microbial overgrowth is the best explanation given the overall symptoms.

• Like Like x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    21. InfiniteLoop
      Sunshine

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Update to July:

The strangle fight continues. Am I the only one in the world battling this kind of tinnitus? There are many cases of idiopathic tinnitus. I believe that in most cases the sufferer assumes that something is broken in the auditory path or the brain, and they stop looking for any causes. Even the common sense to facilitate habituation requires to accept it as is.
      More slow progress to report, the T is weaker, and the cycles softer... but they never end. I will keep on one more month with the treatment. Keeping the faith and the hope on a positive outcome.

22. InfiniteLoop
      Sunshine

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Huge breakthrough over the weekend. Now I am taking Kolorex every couple of hours and it is making a huge difference. This mess is starting to clear after 30 months. I wonder how many people have this kind of tinnitus and are doing nothing just because they are told there is no cure, their auditory system is broken and they should just live with it. Just like I was told! Note that my case is for people with unknown cause or very weak cause for tinnitus.

23. The Red Viper
      Angry

The Red Viper Member Team Research

Tinnitus Since:
      March 15, 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Current Theory: Leftover infection ETD + neck muscle injury
      Interesting. I agree that while most researchers are looking at noise exposure, there are many sufferers who just got T out of the blue, or after an infection, or something diametrically opposed to hearing damage.

24. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loop, do you think Kolorex alone is now doing all the heavy lifting?

25. InfiniteLoop
      Sunshine

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Final update:

Unfortunately my T is back to previous levels. I run out of patience and this is the end of the road for this thread. I thought that it was worth the effort to try a totally different path, but it has not paid off. This is not only about the microbial overgrowth hypothesis, but also about the diet effect. I have been in nearly no sugar and very close to paleo/ketogenic diet for more than one year. Overall, no clear effect. My T is very fluctuating in loudness, sound type, tempo and frequency. This randomness still continues and sometimes I get relatively long periods of improvement that they are followed by periods of worsening.
      The cause of my T still remains a mystery: the weekend that preceded my T onset had several loud events (ride in a convertible car, live band at a restaurant), and even a mild fall practicing yoga hitting my head against the floor (I did not have any pain). Somehow, I ended up with a high frequency loss in my left ear and that is probably where my T comes from (although my left ear was always worse than the right one because of an ear infection that I had in my teens). None of those events was remarkable, and completely forgettable on their own, but the consequences have been huge. They have changed my life and distorted my sense of reality. Healing and habituation have been way too slow.
      What is ahead? Not much. I do not expect anything significant on T treatments during my lifetime. Nothing really works for entrenched chronic T, and the only way forward is playing the endless mind game with yourself that is habituation.
      My audiogram is at:
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...re-are-any-useful-patterns.16989/#post-198604

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    26. GregCA
      Frustrated

GregCA Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Sorry it didn't work out, but you did the right thing in trying.

27. InfiniteLoop
      Sunshine

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Update to my "final" update of August 27th:

In spite of my announcement of finishing the treatment and abandoning any hope that my T is coming from a long-term microbial overgrowth (most likely Candida overgrowth), I have continued the treatment for the past month following the probiotics, probiotics, no sugar/no carbohydrates diet and natural antifungals protocol (Kolorex, undecyclinic acid, etc...). It has been another month full of up and downs, but I have recovered the lost faith on the root cause of my tinnitus. Still crazy oscillations in the T behavior, but the peaceful moments are quieter than ever. I will try another month....

28. stophiss

stophiss Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      too full a life
      Thanks for sharing your journey with us IL. Btw, my T came out of the blue as well after I felt a bit worn down however has stayed with me. Never had it before.
      Good luck

29. InfiniteLoop
      Sunshine

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Mid October update:

It continues to clear up. Now that the T is almost as weak as in the early weeks of this ordeal, it feels like a smooth stream of electrical particles ebbing and flowing inside the left ear. I am still following my self-treatment with plenty of Kolorex. Silence is around the corner... 32 months and counting....

30. Fungus
      Dreaming

Fungus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus?
      InfiniteLoop, I truly hope that your tinnitus disappears for good.....as there seem to be so many causes for tinnitus, there should also be a vast number of remedies (most of which won't work for any given individual).

I have constant 'goo' in the sinuses,ears etc. and had multiple antibiotics prescribed in the past, have permanently blocked Eustachian tubes, and have tried the 'lovely' goldenseal etc with absolutely no help whatever. I am exposed to moulds/fungi and zoonoses living on a farm and having a large amount of animals of various types.

I don't now take anything, nor do use any dietary manipulation, supplements etc as it seems to me they have nothing but 'placebo' effect if any effect at all. In a condition which can spontaneously fluctuate, then it is all too easy to ascribe an improvement to a serendipitous change associated with taking a product.

It seems to me that there needs to be developed a medication which can prevent or regenerate hair-cell damage (if this is, indeed, the final insult for developing tinnitus).

However, it is very helpful when folk are brave enough to post their downs as well as their ups when trying to cure themselves.

When I initially developed tinnitus I would have taken just about anything ('Bring on the eye of newt and bat's wing'), but not now. I still pray a cure can be found,but try not to let it be constantly on my mind.
      Fungus