I Miss My Normal Life

Discussion in 'Support' started by rubyroseware, Oct 14, 2015.

1. rubyroseware
      Alienated

rubyroseware Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music
      I miss being able to lay in bed in silence after a long day. I miss going to concerts, I miss swimming with my head under the water, I miss cuddling someone in silence and pressing my head against someone without hearing ringing. I miss being able to relax. I am never relaxed anymore.

I feel like someone has cursed me. I honestly want to die. No one takes me seriously in my family and neither do my friends. I am not strong enough for this

Please, anyone, HOW do I get used to this? How do I forget about it? All I can think about it is, even when I'm happy (rare at the moment) I still hear it. I am going mad

• Hug Hug x 10
      • Like Like x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    2. Kuriboh1981
      Terrified

Kuriboh1981 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/01/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear Infection/Slight hearing loss/Who knows at this point?
      I hear you. I was just told that my tinnitus is for life and it's really hard to deal with. I just want peace and quiet again...

3. Lorenzo74
      Mellow

Lorenzo74 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Hey @rubyroseware

You will be strong enough for this, and once you will settle down again with your emotions you will be able to learn to manage it again.. You are too young to think like that...

T has many limitations indeed, but there are many ways to make up for them and you just have to find them..

I have some moulded earplugs for swimming and they work great, and actually when I swim I don't hear it or feel it at all, in fact I go swim almost everyday and it also makes me more tired so that at night I find it easier to manage to sleep...
      I also have some musician earplugs when I go to the cinema and I just enjoy it as much as I used to do before T...
      I also started going to party a little as those earplugs allow me to listen to the music and hear also people speaking without too much fear.. I am just getting used to looking a bit weird with the plugs but I am sure my dancing once it gets going is much weirder than my earplugs :)

And once you will have someone to cuddle with I am sure T will be the last thought on your mind...

You have to learn to accept the sound and kind of forget about it.. I like to say "Forget about T, and maybe It will forget about you"..

I don't know how loud is your T, but as you were fine before this spike, I am sure you will be fine soon again.. You need a bit of patience, time and things to do to keep your mind and body busy... Do not spend too much time on here either as it can bring many negative thoughts or vibes as you may read other experiences.. But your is unique and you have to learn how to deal with it...

I really wish you well... take care..

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
    4. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Hi ruby,
      I know its hard for you at the moment and want it to go away .
      I promise you,in time you will think its just my naughty ears and to laugh and love life again.
      I now think to myself that is my ears having a rave but I enjoy my life and push hard to stay happy .
      We have no control over tinnitus but I have total control of what makes me happy.
      I would highly recommend talking therapy like CBT and that is a great support for you.
      Your at that time in life,finding who you are and what you want in life and emotions play a big part dealing with tinnitus so all the support is out their for you.
      This forum can be a good place for family members come and read up about tinnitus and what its like to live with it.
      Keep posting for support duck...lots of love glynis

• Like Like x 2
    5. Jesse Pinkman
      Badass

Jesse Pinkman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2011
    6. svg1204

svg1204 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/04/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Headphones maybe?not sure really.
      You can make it we are her for you ,your not alone in this and we are getting closer to a cure. If you or anyone here needs someone to talk to I created a group me group also you can text me or call me 4698036364

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      I have deep empathy for you and your suffering with T, the fear, the unknown, the sense of hopelessness. Most of us have been where you are now. But don't worry too much. This kind of tough time will pass. When I had T & H initially, I was overwhelmed and I was in despair like most others. But reading success stories has given me a sense of hope that in due time our perception of T can change and we will not be so stressful about T. I had so much trouble initially that I thought a life like that will not be livable. But after a few years, our perception of T does change over time and we will learn to live with it. I never thought this possible durimg my toughest time. But now I don't give a dime to T high or low.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    8. Carlos
      Surrender

Carlos Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I know exactly how you feel. Tinnitus robs so much, all at once, and nothing ever feels right. It feels like being in solitary confinement with a never ending noise. Im also looking for answers to help fix my peace of mind. Its extremely hard. I cant make friends or be in relationships, because this condition is almost unimagineable to someone who doesnt have it. Im trying to find people to meet and make friends that have tinnitus, but its hard. I truly dont know where to even begin to recover my life, everything reminds me of the past and how happy I was. I think a pet can help you, a dog. Someone to care for and someone to be there for you when no one understands and all you need is love and support, I think a dog can do that for you.

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. Purple Parrot
      Bookworm

Purple Parrot Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015 - 3/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multiple: anxiety, childhood ear infections, loud music
      The first couple of months were the worst for me. Hellish.

At the time, I never would have believed I could feel so much better, but I keep getting better & better. I actually think I'm even happier now than I was before tinnitus, because tinnitus has been a great teacher to me about mindfulness and acceptance.

Try not to freak yourself out online about tinnitus never getting better etc and stick to the positive "success stories" forum. This condition does get easier in time. I never believed that when I first got it, but trust me, time is all you need to feel better!

If things are getting unbearably tough, then a trip to the doctor wouldn't hurt. Anti anxiety medications can be a helpful short term solution to severe tinnitus anxiety. I actually found I didn't need to take mine that often - just knowing they were there if I needed them helped me to calm down.

Big hugs.

• Agree Agree x 2
    10. Christina

Christina Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/30/15
      I completely understand your feelings @rubyroseware. Life isn't as enjoyable with tinnitus and it robs us of the peace that we need everyday. It has taken away my career as a musician and the fear of it getting worse and overpowering everything plagues me daily. People without T just don't understand how blessed they are not to have to deal with this constant noise day in and day out. It's exhausting. Feel free to PM me if you need to talk...

• Hug Hug x 1
    11. Robert44

Robert44 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud concert
      Yeah, I understand everything you said. Things will get better in time. At some point you won't hear it all the time and that will give you a break. Most of the day I don't hear mine anymore. The mind has this ability to shut it out. I understand that you never have silence anymore. Make sure you sleep. Use masking if necessary. That's really important. It's true we have to go through this on our own. People just can't understand. Other people have worse conditions like being blind or totally deaf or living with constant severe pain. Hang in there it gets better. But i get what your saying

• Hug Hug x 1
    12. STi

STi Member

Never being able to hear silence again absolutely sucks...no doubt I miss it soooo much...My family don't understand nor do they seem like they care lol....only us with Tinnitus understand...U need to focus on other stuff..be around people.....I actually prefer silence and like watch TV at night.

13. hoper
      Lonely

hoper Member

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      @Lorenzo74 i bet you drive an 458 italia, no?

14. Lorenzo74
      Mellow

Lorenzo74 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Hey @hoper !!

Unfortunately I do not... :) Otherwise I would have probably known the possible cause of my T... :))

15. KyushuKris

KyushuKris Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2005
      ah don't worry you look pretty young, chances are they'll find a cure in 10-20 yrs, so hang on for that. Keep positive. You'll get mentally tougher as you get older.

16. Reinier
      Not amused

Reinier Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Explosion starting engine
      @rubyroseware you had tinnitus since 2014.
      Still no habituation )-;
      Perhaps sometimes habituation does not happen?
      Or perhaps there is habituation? After the initial post no additional posts.

17. hoper
      Lonely

hoper Member

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      hmmm then you must drive a fiat punto, no?