I Need Some Answers from Those That Have Had Tinnitus for More Than 7 Years

Discussion in 'Support' started by Carlos, Feb 26, 2016.

tinnitus forum
    1. Carlos
      Artistic

Carlos Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Pollution
      For those that have had t. for more than 7 years and up. If youve had t. due to noise exposure, did your t. get gradually worse throughout your lifetime? Please be honest. Is it a never ending cycle that keeps causing more grief as the years progress? Did you develop hypercousis? Do you have to keep adjusting your life every couple years? My t. has gotten extremely bad after 7 years, I was able to habituate before but my t. is now moving over from just my left ear to my right, I think I can now permanently hear t. in my right ear and its killing me, I thought I would only have to deal with t. in my left ear but now its in both. I think Im developing hypercousis, I cant be in my school classrooms anymore, I think Im going to have to quit school. It took so much strength for me to build my life and live with t. and now its tripled in noise volume in less than a 3 month period and its moving over to my right ear. I dont know what to do, Im at the end of my witts with this. I cant handle this anymore, my life is destroyed, absolutely worthless now. I feel its game over, there are no more better days, only sleepless nights, and never ending tears.

2. Bobby B
      Fine

Bobby B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      long term NIHL and recent acoustic trauma
      are there moments in the day when you don't hear your T ?

3. Jack Mccarthy

Jack Mccarthy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      airplane flight cabin pressure
      Mine has only gotten slightly worse, but I've been on benzos for the past 8 years with a mild case in my right ear. I am suffering from the side effects, but it's either that or not being able to concentrate and do my job or sleep. I do have to try some alternative therapies and see if anything else will help. I am concerned that I may have to change careers one day and do something that doesn't require much concentration at less pay.

4. zeroday
      Mellow

zeroday Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Driving Truck
      My T has persisted for 20 years. A constant high pitched ringing that if I allow will overwhelm everything. When it developed it was off the chart. Like someone had their mouth to my ear screaming as loud as they could. It took 6-8 months to settle into my current T level and has not changed.

5. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      My tinnitus was stable for a decade until a noise trauma, and has been more or less stable for the six years since.

6. Dana
      Chicken

Dana Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not known, too many possible causes
      @linearb
      What was the cause of your T onset in 1998, if you can tell us?

7. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Hard to say. I'd developed visual snow, and in reading about that found a reference to the effect that people with visual snow often have tinnitus. I listened for it, and there it was.

Could be drug stuff, could be neurological, could be because I was a premature baby! I believe I contracted HSV-1 the summer before all that, as well. I went to a number of concerts in high school, but that wouldn't explain the visual snow.

8. Dana
      Chicken

Dana Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not known, too many possible causes
      So paying attention to audio percepts does bring the background sound into the front seat.

9. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      Carlos, I beat my T using a very simple method I learned here. Thank God for Tinnitus Talk.
      Your questions are good ones. And it's good to be concerned about loud noises.
      My T started in 1974 because I loved rock and roll. End of story. I screwed up. My T is forever. It got worse through the years even though I took precautions. It's a noisy world out there.
      I'm trying to keep this short. Unless you have infection problems or some kind of rare medical mystery, your case sounds like mine. Please don't be scared when I tell you this - I quit loud music and my T got worse through the years. BUT, here's the good news. A year and a half ago it was loud, I mean LOUD and the H was out of control Heck, if remember pulling tape off a spool and my ears went bonkers. The solution for me was simple, and WAY too good to be true. But it IS true .....
      I beat the worrying, the anxiety, and the tinnitus itself. OK, to be honest I still hear it 2 or 3 times a week, but that's better than 50 times a day. You've got nothing to lose. In my opinion, you're a candidate.
      Try it..https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/back-to-silence.7172/

10. Carlos
      Artistic

Carlos Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Pollution
      @I who love music Hello, thank you for responding with something hopeful. I just constantly think about suicide as the only solution, I don't think I'll do it but I have put myself in situations that are dangerous, hoping for an end. But it doesn't really matter...Are you the person who made the video? If so I messaged you, in the comment, Im the one with the fraternity letters on my sweater. Could you be more detailed about your experience for me please and how your process gradually started working for you. Were there relapses? I have no family, Im alone in everything I do and I just need some mentorship on this specific method, that is it. If you can help me that would mean a lot to me.

11. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      Success came to me in increased energy, better sleep, happier thoughts, and a feeling of hope. It didn't come in quieter T, or lower T, or changing frequency. I quit talking to myself about T. All done. All that matters is the number of new responses. I put 100% trust in the method and it worked.

12. Carlos
      Artistic

Carlos Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Pollution
      This sounds like you just habituated and chose to ignore your t., mine is too loud for this, thanks anyway.