I Now Have Something Worse Than My Tinnitus (Plantar Fasciitis)

Discussion in 'Support' started by another sean, Sep 21, 2018.

1. another sean
      Studious

another sean Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Long duration of low audio
      Plantar 'freaking' Fasciitis

In a nut shell, my feet get numb when I walk.

So it appears I screwed up my arches by walking barefoot on my hard wood floors for years. It started in one foot and then after favoring the other foot, it started there. So after walking for 5 minutes, my feet begin to get numb because the arch is getting inflamed and swelling and pinching a nerve. FML.

Like seriously, this is the true life trasher for me. I can barely move around my home. Can't get things done. It's been like this for 2 month. I thought I was building up some pretty good emotional strength after home bounding, life ruining tinnitus and panic attacks. But this takes the cake.

What have I done about it so far. Saw a Podiatrist. Convinced me to get custom orthotics costing $700. I feel they are worthless. My feet still get numb after 3 weeks of using them. I was told to stretch my hamstrings like 10 times a day. I can now touch the palm of my hands to my toes. Stretching helps but only for an hour. So then I tried Dr. Scholls inserts and they made my feet feel fantastic. No numbness at all. don't even need to stretch. But the Podiatrist said they are not a long term solution and they are just hiding the problem which I don't get. I saw the Dr. Scholls as a way for my arches to not get inflamed and to give them a chance to heal for a month or two. But he insists I should stay with the custom orthotics. So I went back to them and now my feet are numb and I can barely walk to my kitchen.

So lets recap.

Home bounding, career changing, no more music Tinnitus isolated from human contact. no prob, habituated and now its like im Snow White with wonderful birds tweeting in my ears. Life is good.
      Anxiety panic disorder, always felling like I'm gonna have a heart attack. Ha, bite me, haven't had an attack in 2 month.
      Screwed up foot arches, woah woah woah there partner. I draw the line and f'd up feet. This needs to go pronto.

Does any have any experience with Plantar Fasciitis and if so, what helped you?

• Hug Hug x 5
    2. Layla23
      Bookworm

Layla23 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      May 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bars/nightclubs/MRI
      I don’t have that but I can ask a friend about it (she has it and had to stop running because of it but is doing much better now)

• Like Like x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      another sean
      Studious

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      That would be awesome. Thanks!

4. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      It sounds as if maybe we all have some underlying nervous system dysfunction. My ring and pinky finger started going a little numb after onset of tinnitus as well as the emergence of fingernail pitting.

5. Nanny chocolate

Nanny chocolate Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unbelievable caused by audiologist!
      It gets better with time Sean. My husband had this and it took a few months with shoe inserts, not prescribed! and it is now completely better. He is back to walking and riding his bike. Don’t panic, it’s curable, just a literal pain for a while.
      Eve
      @another sean

6. Red
      Crappy

Red Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure (Headphones)
      Sounds like the beginnings of cubital tunnel syndrome. It's like carpal tunnel syndrome but it affects a different nerve which supplies sensation to your pinky and half of your ring finger. Do you hold computer mice for long periods of time?

7. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      It's probably how I rest on my elbow at work. Thanks for the input. I already suspected that. But that doesnt explain my nail pitting that started immediately when my tinnitus started.

8. coffee_girl
      Innocent

coffee_girl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      All my life, but got worse 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced / Concert
      I hope you feel better, do you have a form of support where you are? Perhaps friends and family, who can stay with you during this difficult time. Maybe you can try soaking your feet in a salt bath, perhaps it will make them feel better?

9. David Dubros

David Dubros Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I had Plantars for two months and had to google it to find out more.
      My GP said the Dr. Scholls were fine and they were.
      They cured it and it hasnt returned.
      This was six months ago.
      Your podiatrist is a thief.

10. dayma
      Pacman

dayma Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/6/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      UNKNOWN
      • Like Like x 1
    11. dayma
      Pacman

dayma Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/6/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      UNKNOWN
      I forgot to say that inserts you buy at running stores or your local stores are nowhere near as good as custom ones. AKA the ones you buy at the stores are junk to me.

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      another sean
      Studious

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks @coffee_girl . No real support. Lost both parents to cancer and most friends after tinnitus. I'll try the salt soak

Thanks for the input @Nanny chocolate and @David Dubros

@dayma did you get custom inserts thru a doctor? Or directly from a company? Also do any specific stretches or strengthening exercises help? and any particular shoes help? Your link is for splints, did they help you a lot?

• Hug Hug x 2
    13. dayma
      Pacman

dayma Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/6/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      UNKNOWN
      I have a doctor that does my inserts. They take a mold of your foot and send it away to get it created. The type of shoe matters but more so the inserts as you are just replacing the ones that come with the shoes.

The splints / exercise did not help for me. Only the inserts. I am sure this varies per person.

• Informative Informative x 1
    14. Morg

Morg Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Previous exposure to loud music, then caught a cold.
      I would choose plantar fasciitis any day of the week over my tinnitus...just saying :) At least if you sit down the pain goes away?

I've had it before for around a 6 to 8 month period. Probably from doing too much exercise DUE to my tinnitus. What helped was getting special insoles (high arches, even though mine are pretty flat) and then taking a bit of a break from doing as much walking and hiking as I was doing. It took some time to go away, but is pretty much gone now. My feet didn't go numb however, just painful with each step. I would think weight-loss would help, if one is overweight.

15. Starthrower
      Wtf

Starthrower Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Surgery
      @another sean I get it. I am an avid runner and got a Morton's neruoma on the ball of my foot. It was so painful. I got a cortozone shot which hurt like heck but helped the pain.

The plantar fasciitis takes time to go away. I know a few people who had this happen to them. Resting the foot and using the special inserts helped them heal. I need to find out more info on what they did. I think my friend got a special boot that took the pressure off the foot.

I remember not being able to walk on my foot for a while. It was awful feeling so much pain walking and not being able to run. Thankfully the shot worked and it never bothers me now.

16. Starthrower
      Wtf

Starthrower Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Surgery
      Here is some info I researched for you @another sean.

If your doctor can refer you to a good physical therapist it can really help you heal quicker. I just copied a few paragraphs from the link. There is a support board link there.

http://www.plantar-fasciitis.org/

"...In many instances, plantar fasciitis can be treated with home care. Changing your physical activities, resting the foot, and applying ice to the area are common remedies. Taking over the counter medications such as ibuprofen or acetaminophen can help reduce pain and inflammation that may have developed. An orthotic device placed in your shoes can also significantly help to reduce pain. In addition, orthotics can also help promote healing to reverse plantar fasciitis."

"Treatment for plantar fasciitis should begin with rest, icing, and over the counter medications. As mentioned above, an orthotic is a device that can be slipped into any pair of shoes and can often relieve pain and help to reverse the damage and occurrence of plantar fasciitis. They do this by adding support to the heel and helping to distribute weight during movement. In addition to orthotics, many people consider night splints for treating this condition. These devices are worn during the night while you sleep, helping to keep the plantar fascia stretched to promote healing. Physical therapy has also become a common option. With this conservative treatment alternative, a physical therapist designs a set of exercises that are intended to address your specific needs in order to promote healing."

17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      another sean
      Studious

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      That some really good info there. I will look for a physical therapist near by. Thanks so much for doing this Starthrower. I really appreciate it.

• Hug Hug x 1
    18. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Jack Straw Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection, Acoustic Trauma
      @another sean I am so sorry to hear about this recent development. I am glad to hear you haven't had an anxiety attack in the last two months though, that's fantastic.

I don't know much about this issue, but I hope you can find some resolution for it soon. Stay strong man!

• Like Like x 1