I Only Hear My Tinnitus in Quiet Places — Does This Mean Anything?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Carol27, Dec 14, 2019.

1. Carol27
      Thinking

Carol27 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I am not sure.
      Does this mean anything? Ever since my tinnitus started I am only able to hear it in quiet places. Does it get worse? better? I am very confused. Does it mean that it can fade away? I just want some kind of hope. Has it gone away for anyone here completely? I've read some success stories here but mostly all speak about them learning to cope with it. I've come across some people who it has gone away for them and never returned.

Also, I've been hearing a vibration noise in my ears on top of the ringing. Is that normal?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    2. Michael B
      No Mood

Michael B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      '11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      @Carol27 It's hard to say with any certainty if one's tinnitus will remain the same but you're off to a good start with it being fairly quiet. It may very well stay that way and if it does chances are in time you'll no longer think about it.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Carol27
      Thinking

Carol27 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I am not sure.
      I can't stop crying. I feel like my life is falling apart and I feel like I won't be able to live like this.

• Hug Hug x 3
    4. Michael B
      No Mood

Michael B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      '11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      I'm sure others will provide support and insight into this but what helped me in the early days was listening to music, particularity New Age. I found it very relaxing and still go to it on occasion. I remember keeping busy; distraction is key. Night time is another matter but there are those who recommend sound machines to help get your mind off the sound. I still use one myself. (no headphones)
      The true healer, Carol, is time. Like the hands on a clock, you don't realize you're healing but each new day, week gets better. Crying is normal, I've done it myself in the early days as have many.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    5. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      It just means you have a mild version of tinnitus. How it evolves is probably more dependent on what the root cause is, which, according to your profile, is unknown to you.

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. MRItechssuck
      Disappointed

MRItechssuck Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Severe 10/17/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise, MRI
      I had mild tinnitus that basically went away or I habituated to it after a few years.
      After another trauma... mine is severe.

You feel so distraught because it is new... trust me... there are people much worse off.

Keep a fan on, especially at night , avoid quiet rooms, stop checking on the tinnitus... and before long you will forget about it. Be smart and avoid loud noises, and always bring earplugs with you... even to an MRI. :)

Good luck.

• Like Like x 1
    7. alex1975

alex1975 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound induced
      Sorry to hear that! My audiologist told me, as basic as this sounds, that tinnitus is my ears telling me they’ve had enough of loud noise and as long as I stayed away from it, I wouldn’t do any more damage and therefore my tinnitus shouldn’t increase.
      From here, if I were you, I would avoid loud bars, clubs or concerts. ut if you must then I would wear high quality ear plugs.
      Also, if you’re an anxious person, then perhaps it could be stress, which means that once you relax and give it time, it should go away...

• Like Like x 2
      • Winner Winner x 1
    8. mrbrightside614

mrbrightside614 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Carol. Let me say you are BLOODY LUCKY you can only hear it in quiet places. Enjoy your relaxation, your television, your radio. If you’re nervous about it getting worse, keep a pair of earplugs on you. The chances are in your favor of it going away in time. Consider yourself lucky you do not have intrusive tinnitus, which presents itself whether you’re paying conscious attention to it or not. Do not give it the audience and it will likely go away.

• Like Like x 2
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Carol27
      Thinking

Carol27 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I am not sure.
      Omg I really hope that is the case! Thank you for responding.

• Like Like x 1
    10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Carol27
      Thinking

Carol27 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I am not sure.
      I can't hear it when I am outside, however, sometimes I can hear it low when I am watching TV but its low to the point where I forget about it. Like there is time that I feel like I hear silence but then I tend to look for the noise and then its like "YUP I'M STILL HERE." The worse is when I am trying to sleep and when I am talking to someone and everything around us is quiet or when I am using my phone or doing homework.

And I am currently in finals week in college, so taking a test where the whole classroom is quiet is also very distracting.

11. Digital Doc

Digital Doc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      Getting to the quiet stage of tinnitus is a very good sign. However, take it as a warning that with further noise exposure this has potential to get much worse so protect your ears from further damage like your life depends on it, because it totally does.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    12. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      I like this way of putting it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    13. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      It shouldn't.

You are at the stage that many get to after 1-2 years of healing.
      There is a high chance that it will. Just make sure to not harm your ears again.
      Yes. But normally after being loud it fades so that people can hear it only in quiet rooms.

When it is quiet like that, it is reasonable to expect habituation, where you stop noticing it, and stop having a strong reaction to it when you become aware of it as you are trying to fall asleep.

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...eone-else-who-has-tinnitus.26850/#post-307822

• Agree Agree x 2
    14. Don Tinny

Don Tinny Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2017 (worsening)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert with ear plugs
      Just enjoy life without loud events. You only hear it in quiet places so it's not a big problem and mild tinnitus it's pretty common.

The real problem is that you need to take care of your ears. Believe me. Most days I hear my tinnitus everywhere!!

15. Digital Doc

Digital Doc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      Thanks. Too many stories of things ending really badly from this T. I view my "residual ring" on good days as a reminder to play by the rules, and avoid loud noise like the plague that it is.

• Like Like x 1
    16. vermillion
      Whistles

vermillion Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fluconazole
      - I Only Hear My Tinnitus in Quiet Places — Does This Mean Anything?
      - It means that you are lucky.

• Agree Agree x 1