I Think I Am In a Deep Depression First Hand

Discussion in 'Support' started by Andersson, Jan 6, 2016.

1. Andersson
      Worried

Andersson Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2012
      Ever since my T got worse got unknown reason in beginning of November I have been having a really hard time, and it's not getting better.

I am quick to blame it all on T, it is a really big part, but now I start to wonder what is the biggest thing that I struggle with.

Even when in the shower where it masks the T, or when I am outside in town and sometimes I don't hear it as super loud, even then I cannot smile or find "calm".
      It's like my body is in a state of depression no matter what happens, except on Christmas Eve when I felt better, and then again Christmas morning. But then on the ride home it all came rushing back.

I tried natural supplements like 5-HTP, L-tyrosine for depression that helped many people It seems, but I feel they dont do much.
      Maybe I am in to deep of a depression that these does not work, and I need to take Antidepressants?

I can also look back, I lived the past 3 years with my T just fine, no issues really. But even then I was not happy with my life at all, but I did things to kill time like playing games, watching movies etc.
      Right now I cannot do any of those because I both focus on T which is above almost everything (maybe due to me focusing on it 24/7) and even if the T "feels" more in the background so I just hear the hizzing some times when watching a series I just cannot enjoy it.
      It's like all joy is just gone.
      Maybe the flu I had, then shot back just jumpstarted the depression I was headed for anyway in time, I don't know. And yeah with that T gets focus 24/7

I also have the problem with that some sounds are annoying, weirdly enough this have come and gone 2 times since November, I know its linked to my anxiety/depression etc. Now its been here for 2 weeks and speech hurt again some times, but music is fine, or voices in series etc. Its some real life voices that hurt if I am to close.

Maybe it's time to throw all the supplements and natural mood lifters like 5-HTP etc to the side and try an antidepressant. Because until now I just though, it's only my T that is bringing me down.
      But I am not so sure anymore, It feels like I really am in a deep depression and that T makes it worse as well.
      I hate trying antidepressants again, but maybe I don't have a choice right now.

I am taking walks, talking to therapist, seeing doctor etc but just that does not seem to help.

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. Martin69
      Artistic

Martin69 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      (Health) Anxiety
      @Andersson
      I think for about two years if it is ONLY T or a depression.
      My T onset was after a stressful period of years and finally I was totally exhausted with migraines, vertigo, total exhaustion and then T (caused by anxiety). I was at the lowest, lowest point in my life. Here in Germany, they call it "burnout", but many people just see this as a depression.

Nevertheless, now I am sitting here with a mix of severe T, anxiety, depression and exhaustion.
      I took Remeron for some months, but it hasn't helped much. It is good as a sleep aid.
      I am down to only 7,5 mg (the lowest dosage) and I am wondering if I should look into another AD - to lift up my mood and decrease anxiety a little bit.

I know of some people here who have good experience with Lexapro or Zoloft. It does not change your T, but lift up your mood and let you function again - which then can help in getting over T. I think about it every day if I should start with Lexapro. Don't know yet.

3. Sailboardman
      Frustrated

Sailboardman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/21/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sensorineural hearing loss right ear.
      @Martin69,

I took Lexapro for awhile and stopped because the side effects were making things worse for me. In fact my T got a little worse also.

Keep in mind, we all react differently to meds, so you may not have the same issues I did.

• Informative Informative x 1
    4. attheedgeofscience
      No Mood

attheedgeofscience Member Podcast Patron Mighty Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Resolved since 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (medication, head injury)
      If you have an ingrown toenail, would talking to a therapist help?

Tinnitus is a disease of the brain, not of the mind.

• Agree Agree x 2
    5. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Their are antidepresants that are better suited to people who don't cope well with side effects that are slow releasing and Effexor SR is one of them.
      Have a good chat with your doctor to get the right antidepresant for you.
      They do work so Don't suffer in silence....lots of love glynis

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    6. Teri
      Caffeine

Teri Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4/2014
      CBT, in my understanding, doesn't take the T away, it just changes the way that you perceive the T.

For example, during childbirth learning to breath properly and learning to focus your mind away from the pain really does help.

• Like Like x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Andersson
      Worried

Andersson Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2012
      Therapy helped me a lot when I got T, helped me lower it when my anxiety and depression got better and therapy was a part of that.
      I got a good Tinnitus therapist back in 2012 that I really connected with, but she moved far away.
      But my current therapist is not working out, so looking to find a new one but takes time within the healthcare system.

@Martin69 Yeah It's hard to know what's what. I just blame T for everything, but I lived 3 years with T that I heard over everything from start without any issues, so that tells me that It's a combination of a depression that was headed for me a long with maybe slightly worse T then I had when I got it, and the annoying H problems that are back that I also had when I got it when I entered a depression.

The thing is, first time when I got T I entered depression because of it, it was the final nail so to say (I had a very bad depression period 2008-2009 before T as well)

Now It's hard to tell which started which, or what is what.

@glynis I have been looking at like Effexor, but I have read the discontinue of it is like among the worst of all AD. I feel fluoxetine is the only one that I feel somewhat comfortable to try because It gave me few side effects since it's such long half-life. But it's been 3 years since I tried an AD, so might be different now.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    8. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      if playing video games, watching movies, and being social don't provide you any joy or distraction right now... this is not a good reason to stop doing those things. "Fake it until you make it". Force yourself to live a life which looks very normal outwardly, and then find faith that the internal experience will eventually change to reflect that.

I personally am very skeptical of antidepressant drugs, but I know that other people have had better experiences with them than I have.

• Like Like x 2
    9. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound, though never proven
      Statement of the year. Should be required reading for every wannabe therapist.

• Like Like x 1
    10. Lloyd Carter
      Wishful

Lloyd Carter Member

Tinnitus Since:
      August 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced Trauma
      I don't know why you're so against therapists. A large percentage of the people on this forum have some kind of anxiety issues or depression that predated their tinnitus. Most people that have this disorder don't really care about it. People that have decided that life is not going to be good until their level of tinnitus is reduced are going to be unhappy for a long, long time. The ONLY documented evidence of effective treatment of tinnitus (notice that I said treat, not cure or lower in sound level), is therapy. CBT, TRT, and other types of therapy.

@attheedgeofscience I applaud you for all the work you do on this site. I hope that one day science finds a way to cure this thing or lower it in volume. Until then, I do believe you should rethink your perspective on therapists. They can, and often do help. And without any kind of invasive drugs and side effects!

11. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      It took me over a year to get off Effexor, I would imagine most ADs to be some pretty awful shit. The Effexor did nothing for me but turn me into a complete idiot and worsen my T. These drugs are hard core poison, and as far as I know, are not proven to help anyone with depression. I find my mood to be better if I take a long brisk walk or run every day outside.

• Informative Informative x 1
    12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Andersson
      Worried

Andersson Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2012
      I was on fluoxetine for 10 months or so in 2008 for depression and it definitely helped me raise me somewhat and take of the worst panic. But ye I was not cure just because of that, I needed help with therapist etc to fix the things that I had problems with.

But then again I was really down in the dumps, so I needed help to raise my level a bit, from there I could start doing things again.
      I do go for brisk walks every day now as well though.

I do know that effexor and paroxetine is among the worst to try and come off though so would prefer not to try those.

Then again, we are all different, and it's hard to say what works for everyone ;/

13. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      I take a low dose effexor and will stay on it for good due to have a few permanent health issue but I' m a bubbly person by nature but times can be tough......lots of love glynis

14. Martin69
      Artistic

Martin69 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      (Health) Anxiety
      I started Lexapro now. I could no longer stand the anxiety. I hope it will help.
      T is horror these days, even before starting with Lex.

15. undecided
      Breezy

undecided Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown.
      Be careful with the Lexapro.
      Hope it doesn't worsen the ringing. Good luck.

16. Florida John

Florida John Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise, and possible head trauma