I Think Rifampin Made My Tinnitus Worse

Discussion in 'Support' started by Sujin, Dec 25, 2016.

1. Sujin
      Curious

Sujin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No idea. Boi, I wish I knew. Loud noise from a party maybe?
      I have tinnitus in my left ear. It's not too bothersome, I'm able to ignore it.

The problem is - I think I now have it in my right ear - due to Rifampin?

I've been taking Rifampin (tuberculosis antibiotic) for 2 months, and my tinnitus has never been a problem till now.

Just a few days ago, my whole head had a humming noise. Now it has altered to a high pitch in my right ear (I think). I'm not sure if it's tinnitus or if there's something wrong with my brain or - I just don't know.

I've tried covering my right ear to see if I can hear it, but I don't know if I can hear it - or if it's my mind playing tricks on me ya know?

Perhaps it's a temporary side effect from the meds? I'm not sure, I just know it's bothersome enough to keep me up at night - and the tinnitus therapy videos on YouTube help tremendously.

I just noticed it today and I've had 2 panic attacks since. R.I.P me...

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. Master mind

Master mind Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Antidepressant
      Has anyone had any more experience with Rifampin?

3. AfroSnowman
      Balanced

AfroSnowman Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Nonnatural energy source
      Yeah I took Rifampin but I didn’t have any issues with it. It’s a real powerful antibiotic I wouldn’t be shocked if it is ototoxic. Unfortunately I think all treatments for LTBI are pretty powerful and with side effects. Of course keep taking it, TB is nothing to fool with.

One bit of advice, don’t listen for it. Let it be. If it is bad you won’t have to cover your ears to hear it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. Ryan Jones
      Curious

Ryan Jones Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Maybe wood saw noise
      Yes what @AfroSnowman said. Count yourself blessed if you have to cover your ears to hear the T.

• Agree Agree x 2
    5. Master mind

Master mind Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Antidepressant
      It is for Bartonella, which is causing tinnitus, along with visual snow, muscle twitches, brain fog, constant head pressure, anxiety and OCD.

6. jpscelza

jpscelza Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Lyme or anxiety
      Rifampin recently made my head buzzing go crazy after 8 weeks on it. I was taking it for Bartonella. I already had head buzzing from 5 years ago when I had Lyme and Bartonella. But it was low and I learned to live with it. However, now it Is loud and driving me crazy. I stopped taking Rifampin for two weeks but the pain came back and I went on another antibiotic but it wasn’t working. So I’m back on a low dose of Rifampin.

I think I’m going to stop and see if the tone of the buzzing comes down. I’m not doing well with this situation.

• Hug Hug x 2