I Think This Is a Spike

Discussion in 'Support' started by cherriesd, Mar 7, 2015.

1. cherriesd

cherriesd Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2009
      Hello

Firstly I should say that having had Tinnitus since 2009, I actually never thought I would need to visit a support forum again. I was advised by the ENT I saw at the time that they were generally not the most positive environments and so I gradually stopped and I would say I habituated pretty well and got on with my life. I know the triggers for my Tinnitus but I haven't let it stop me enjoying life - I adore music, and so I use ear plugs at gigs and in bars that are loud. So, everything was going along fine until last week, when my Tinnitus appears to have spiked..it seems A LOT louder than normal and my right ear (which I would say is my worst one) is itchy, full and painful. I have just started a new job (which must be pretty stressful because a small amount of Eczema, which I haven't had since I was a child) has appeared on my wrist but then, I'm also wondering if it's the fact that I went to acoustic night in a bar last week and maybe it was louder than I thought? The night before I went to see Simon Amstell doing stand up but I figured that wasn't loud enough to need my plugs...It's currently doing this lovely ;) thing that it sometimes does, where it tries to compete with other sounds (such as music) and gets louder over the top of them! Also, a colleague who sits behind me has a stand up fan on all day...but I 've heard people use that to help their T. I'm really confused by this spike and for the first time in ages, I've turned down a gig invitation :( I don't want to let it win but last week, it's just been maddening.

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. Paul201
      Pacman

Paul201 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Subwoofer
      Sounds like you are one of those t sufferers who has decided that they will not avoid noisy environments, brave soul. I cant say for sure as I do avoid noisy places but it sounds like it may be an accumulation of sound that has set it off and if you back off noise for a while, in theory, all should revert back to base levels, it seems to for a lot of people

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      cherriesd

cherriesd Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2009
      Hi,

Thanks very much for reply. Yes, you're right I don't avoid them, I am very careful though. When I first got T, I used to think I had to use ear plugs to dry my hair! Which I don't anymore. I've had so many wonderful times since, going to gigs and events that if you enjoy that too, I would say be mindful but don't cut yourself off from them totally. Thanks though, fingers crossed it gets better by Friday. :)

4. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I think acoustic shows and even stand-up shows can definitely be over the threshold for where my ears get unhappy, and some rock shows, especially in small venues, are loud enough that I will not put myself through them even with plugs & cans on.

But, it seems equally likely that the new job has you stressed out, and that's a contributing factor here. If you have other skin conditions going on it's probably worth considering if your eustachian tubes are inflamed.

• Like Like x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      cherriesd

cherriesd Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2009

Thanks for the advice..:) how would I be able to tell if they were inflamed? I'm going to the Dr on Wednesday so I guess I could ask then? I know what you mean about small venues..I like them but some places just have no idea how to set up sound equipment properly and there's just nowhere for the sound to go :/

6. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      do you get any ear clicking when you swallow / fullness? That can be a sign of inflammation/allergies... which definitely impacts my T.

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      cherriesd

cherriesd Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2009
      The fullness yes, and cold like symptoms, I get hayfever a ton too..hmm, maybe it's that then. Thanks for your help :)