I Took 50 mg of Niacin and It Brought on Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by brrice, Jan 17, 2019.

1. brrice

brrice Member

Tinnitus Since:
      when I took 50 mg niacin , 1 week ago
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I believe it was the niacin that brought it on
      Has this ever happened to anybody here.... I took 50mg of niacin about 1 week ago and continued with 50mg for a couple of days but the then realized the sudden tinnitus started after a couple days on Niacin. I stopped taking niacin and switched to Vit B100.

Should I not take Vit B supplements. I read about all the wonderful benefits of Niacin from cholesterol control, to anxiety relief and many others.

Now I am wondering if I get off these B Vit's all together will the tinnitus disappear.

I am on a very low dose of 5 mg Sandoz-bisoprolol for mild blood pressure control.

Would this tinnitus be an interaction of niacin with this beta-blocker?

Thanks to all who reply.

Brian

• Good Question Good Question x 3
    2. OnceUponaTime
      Wishful

OnceUponaTime Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      I have no answer to your question, but I hope your tinnitus goes away.
      I would stop the BVit's, and see what happends. IMHO
      Once

• Agree Agree x 2
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      brrice

brrice Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Update : My T has reduced 95% I researched the internet for a long time and found a conversation here

at reddit . About half way down the page :

musashiXXX
      221 points · 3 years ago

This is one variation of a Taoist exercise called "Beating the Heavenly Drum". The other variation (the first one I ever heard of) is when you push the Tragus (ear flap thing) over your Cavum (ear hole thing) with your index fingers, then with your middle finger tap the fingernail of your index finger. You cover both ears at the same time, but alternate between tapping left/right/left/right, sort of like a Newton's Cradle

This worked for me first try in the right ear. I had to do it several times on the left ear but I got it to work. I can't explain it but I am so relieved it worked. It may not work for others but what the heck give it a try.

• Like Like x 1
    4. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Welcome to the forum. Glad that you find something that works for your type of tinnitus. There are many roads leading to Rome. So with the many different causes of tinnitus. some people will find something that will work for their type of T but not others. So we can never say there is no cure for T. There are always the exceptions. Good for you and happy that you find relief. If your condition continues to improve, perhaps consider writing a success story. People may not have exact same T as you but just reading that you get help by doing a simple tapping over the ears will give people hope. This is so simple that people can always try it with nothing to lose. Congratulation and welcome again. God bless.

• Like Like x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      brrice

brrice Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks for your reply's . These techniques seem to offer some temporary relief at best, I was encouraged at first with some relief, but, today its back again. I guess I will just have to learn coping skills . Learning to deal with the anxiety of living with constant high pitch noise is going to be very difficult, because I have always loved silence more that just about anything else. I have not seen a Doctor about this maybe that should be my next step.

• Hug Hug x 1
    6. dnl
      Wishful

dnl Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Dec 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Wellbutrin/Bupropion
      I'm sorry that this happened to you. I take prescription niacin daily. It's an extended release tablet (500 mg). I started taking it after I got tinnitus and I don't think it has affected the volume of my tinnitus. Everyone is different. It's possible that niacin caused your tinnitus, but more likely, it could be the beta-blocker that you're taking. Those are known to be ototoxic/correlated with tinnitus onset.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      brrice

brrice Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks DNL , I never knew that Bisoprolol could cause tinnitus . I had never experience it before until it started 2 weeks ago. I had been taking this drug for 5 years. About 6 months ago I slowly reduced from 5 mg to 2.5 mg and I have been staying at that dose . I just looked it up and there is a lot of info that this drug may cause tinnitus . I need to talk to my Dr about getting off this drug. Thanks again.

• Like Like x 1