I Wake Up with a Really Bad Spike in the Middle of the Night

Discussion in 'Support' started by wishingluck, Sep 21, 2015.

1. wishingluck
      No Mood

wishingluck Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure, but probably acoustic trauma
      It's been a couple of nights that this happens. So I get up, as I can't sleep because too loud, even with all the masking stuff: mp3 with falling rain sounds plugged in, fan on, audiobook on.

Terrible. It sounds like an higher pitched version of a heart monitor signal of someone who died. Fortunately, this damn thing subsides a lot about 20 minutes after I get up. It makes me think it's something related to blood pressure or vascular problems.

Also, the low pitched 'rumble' returned after a couple months vacation. This rumble is like a walk in the park compared to the hiss. It's much easier to mask.

I feel better now, but when I wake up with the latter in my ear I feel so pitiful and miserable, as I have never felt before, because of uncertainty and doubt.

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. Gosia
      Balanced

Gosia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      earplugs/ hearing loss
      Have you done the necessary medical check up to verify whether it's vascular ?

• Like Like x 1
    3. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Hi,
      It does sound like your picking up your Coroted artery pulse.
      Might also be worth buying a BP monitor and check your pulse when you wake up and check it again when your ears are quieter ......lots of love glynis

• Like Like x 1
    4. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Sorry to hear about your T making a pitch jump. Hope it is temporary. Some of us have this high pitch scream often in the morning waking up. I am one of them and it was miserable and panicky at first. But after some time, I learned not to freak out so much and keep calm. Now the brain is hardened to this sound and don't react to it high or low. As I am typing my T is screaming at top pitch even above the sound of a heavy rain in my sound generator of my work PC. Probably squeaky faucet sound has some chance of masking it better. LOL. But somehow, the brain just knows that it is part of my being now and it accepts this reality. No negative reactions forth coming to Mr. T. There is still a lot to life than T. Working now, but will be swinging by the river at lunch break and after work to catch a pink salmon. It is that time of the year for the pink salmon returning to the Fraser River and there are 6 million of them returning. I am not going to miss my fun of living for T. All the best to your spike. It probably will go away. God bless.

• Hug Hug x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      wishingluck
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      sorry guys, it's only now I am seeing all the messages! Good question, no I haven't! and have asked all the audiologists how do I make sure that it's not some other problems, none of them could tell me anything.

I had an MRI, nothing found, but somehow I feel like I am missing something. I don't even know if the MRI is the right one for me, I have heard there's different types.

These spikes never happen while awake. I do get some spikes while awake, but they are different, it's more like normal tinnitus.

Also, when I lie my head on the pillow, it feels as if there's something fizzy in the back of my head. This 'fizz' goes up and down when I move, chew, swallow, laugh, walk.

Thanks for the heads up! Time for me to get back in the fight with the health system!

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      wishingluck
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yes I bought it months ago for unrelated curiosity. I have been doing exactly what you suggested. My blood pressure is 'pre-high', about 122/70, and once I measured it during a night spike, it was 132/84.

Interestingly, I tried Vinpocetine last night during one of these spikes, and the spike went away. I bought it almost randomly because some said it helped their tinnitus, and as vinpocetine has basically no side effects, I thought I'd try too.

But later I learned that it lowers blood pressure. My god, I hope I am onto something here. If it's vascular maybe I have a chance. I don't want to fool myself too early, but I must exploit this possibility mercilessly.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      wishingluck
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hey billie48, thank you! Yes I have improved my reaction of terror to these spikes, but I must say I never wake up in the morning with a spike, it always happens in the middle of the night. I do get some spikes occasionally in the morning, but they are extremely short, more like 'normal' tinnitus.

I envy you so much (in a good friendly way) because you can go fishing salmon at the river!
      Wow! I love nature too. I live in a poor suburb but have a backyard with trees, blackbirds, squirrels. I can contemplate some pretty good sunsets even from where I live. I hope you capitalize on your fishing activity as much and often as possible! All the best.

8. glynis
      Feminine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      @wishingluck ,
      It does sound promising for you its your BP and picking your Carotid Artery pulse by your BP reading....lots of love glynis

• Hug Hug x 1
      • Creative Creative x 1
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      wishingluck
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      wow, Glynis. I will have to start investigating right away. If I ever get out of this, I will go out dancing on the streets and do all I can for other T sufferers. That's a promise.

• Like Like x 1
    10. glynis
      Feminine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Keeping my fingers crossed ..
      keep me posted..lots of love glynis