I Was Stupid and Around a Loud Child Last Night. Please Tell Me This Is Just a Spike!

Discussion in 'Support' started by Zinnia, May 11, 2017.

1. Zinnia
      No Mood

Zinnia Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      Almost 4 weeks ago I was given noise induced tinnitus by a stranger. Since then I've been careful protecting my ear with an earplug around loudness but I screwed up last night! A 2 1/2 yr old child was being loud - not screaming but almost yelling - and I didn't protect my ear! (It went on for a minute or so) I had the wrong musician's earplug in, but it wasn't even in all the way. I think it may have reduced no more than 10 decibels.

Today the T is louder and even higher pitched. I'm so freaked out and scared. Just to mention also I have had head & ear congestion the past few days...don't know if that has made my ear even more sensitive...?

For those of you with acoustic trauma T, have you had an increase go back down? I'm dying here... seriously since this has happened my life has felt like a surreal nightmare. Please tell me there is some hope that this is just a temporary spike... Have you had spikes go back down and how long did it take?

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. Johan Berndt

Johan Berndt Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound
      Stop protecting your ears to much. Yelling can't increase tinnitus, if the kid was screaming right into your ear, then it maybe can increase. Only wear earplugs if you need it, like on conserts. "Normal daily sounds" is a part of your life, you can't protect your ears from everything because then they are going to get more sensitive.

I was also afraid of sound, like you are (since my tinnitus started January this year). And exactly like you, when I was exposed to something loud, I got scared that it maybe increased my tinnitus. And the more I thought about it, the louder I heard the tinnitus. But for a month ago I started to care less about my tinnitus, the tinnitus can't stop me from living my life as I want. And it haven't got any worse, even if I got exposed to sounds that was loud. Today, I'm feeling that I'm getting better and better, and care less and less of my tinnitus :)
      Trust me, the day you stop to care about your tinnitus, that day you are going to get better and better :)

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    3. Candy

Candy Member Benefactor Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unidentified
      Often after I've been around loud kids I get a spike which eventually settles...mine know to keep their voices down but my nephew is a toddler and he can be loud...

• Like Like x 1
    4. Julien87
      Not amused

Julien87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure (concert)
      Hi, it's just a spike.
      You're welcome!

• Like Like x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    5. Kibakiru
      Creative

Kibakiru Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 28 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown | PT: Unknown
      My work involves screaming children and it's yet to permanently damage my tinnitus. The worst spike I got was from a kid who screamed in my ear the lyrics of some Disney song (because apparently my ear is a karaoke machine for kids). That lasted for around 3 days but, to be fair, I was recovering from a cold so I was congested, so that probably made it stick around longer. It's more than likely just a spike. The worst thing you can do is panic about it.

• Like Like x 2
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Zinnia
      No Mood

Zinnia Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      I wish I could just stop caring about it so it could get better! ..... I need to try harder but my mind has been so wrapped around it. I'm not sleeping much and really a mess.

Plus I want to find the sweet spot where I do/don't need to protect my ear. I've read about T and H becoming worse from further loud sounds and to me the yelling seemed loud enough to do that.

How intrusive is/was yours during the day?

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Zinnia
      No Mood

Zinnia Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      Thanks :) Knowing you work around kids and deal with it makes me feel better. I work around kids too.

Do you feel like you have hyperacusis ?

• Hug Hug x 1
    8. Kibakiru
      Creative

Kibakiru Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 28 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown | PT: Unknown
      I'm glad It gives you a little comfort! I think your spike is just hanging around because of your congestion. Some spikes can last a while and the best thing we can do is just relax and continue on with life, even though it may seem hard to do.

I have mild Hyperacusis but it was a lot worse in the beginning. It only started to improve when I forced myself to stop over-protecting my ears. The only times I use earplugs now are when I'm walking next to busy roads and such.

I hope you feel better soon!

9. tiniturtle

tiniturtle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/19/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Paromomycin
      I'm around loud kids all the time. It hasn't made things worse. Spending time and playing with them is actually a healthy distraction.

10. Linda_na

Linda_na Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      One time noise exposure
      @Zinnia We are on the same boat. My tinnitus has doubled since two days ago when my friend’s brother (an infant) cried next to me. I don’t know what to do. Just hoping it will pass.
      Is yours still loud?

• Hug Hug x 1
    11. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Yes, most spikes are temporary. Some temporary spikes can last over three months. It makes sense to become concerned that your spike is permanent only if it doesn't Begin fading after a month.

• Agree Agree x 1