I Was Watching "The Good Place" and Found This Inspiring Story About Tahini

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by AVIYT, Feb 16, 2020.

1. AVIYT
      Wishful

AVIYT Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Pregabalin
      Jameela Jamil who plays Tahini al-Jamil in The Good Place is one of us. Even better, she has achieved success despite the odds being against her.

("She told the podcast Films To Be Buried With: “I was disabled as a child. I was deaf until I was 12. I went to a special needs school until I was 11….
      “I had seven operations throughout my childhood. I’d either be half deaf or totally deaf."
      “I’d go for months and months or years with no hearing or then some hearing, and it was a very discombobulating time.”")

She also went through an abortion, suffered a really bad fall on stage for a different set that left her with a concussion, was hit by a car that left her with a spinal injury and has a whole host of health problems.

("Jamil was hit by a car and broke her back when she was 17.
      “I couldn’t walk again for over a year. I’ve experienced different types of disability, ” she says.")

Her estimated net worth was at $1.9 million in 2018 from The Good Place alongside other shows, but now it's estimated at $8 million.

("She was born with congenital hearing loss and labyrinthitis, which she has had several operations to correct. She stated in 2015 that she had 70% audibility in her left ear and 50% in her right ear. Jamil says she was "bookish and shy" at school. At the age of nine, she was diagnosed with hypermobile Ehlers-Danlos syndrome, a genetic disorder causing loose joints, joint pain, stretchy skin, and abnormal scar formation. As a teenager, she suffered from anorexia nervosa and did not eat a full meal between the ages of 14 and 17. She has stated that she believes her eating disorder developed due to societal pressure.

At the age of 17, Jamil was struck by a car while running from a bee, breaking several bones and damaging her spine. She was told that she might never walk again, but she slowly recovered after steroid treatment and physiotherapy, using a Zimmer frame to start walking.

On the 1 October 2018 episode of Good Morning America – complete with video footage – Jamil revealed that she lost a tooth, smashed her nose, broke her elbow and got a concussion when she slipped and fell on her face while running around the set with Olly Murs at a recorded event")​

She also revealed she survived a suicide attempt 6 years back.

Man, she's been through a lot. I really enjoyed the show, I enjoyed her acting and when I found out her story, it really inspired me.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 3
      • Like Like x 1