I Woke Up on the 8th of February, 2021 with Constant Tinnitus :(

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by AnApeNamedJoe, Feb 15, 2021.

1. AnApeNamedJoe
      Ape-like

AnApeNamedJoe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8th February 2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown/misfortune
      Hi everyone,

This is my first post on these forums. I came across the site whilst trying to find information on tinnitus. I have read a few interesting conversations on here, including people offering good advice, so thought it was worth me joining.

I haven't suffered with tinnitus before, other than a few post rave/gig bouts of it 10+ years ago, that disappeared over night. I'm not sure what caused this current bout of tinnitus, I just woke up with it on Monday the 8th of Feb, and it hasn't left since.

In the time I've had this bout, it has affected my sleep quite a bit, as made me quite grumpy. I think it may have faded slightly since it appeared, but I'm not certain of that, I may have just grown slightly accustomed to it.

I had my hearing checked a couple of days ago, and they confirmed I have no hearing loss, and that I had a bit of excess earwax, and recommended using an olive oil applicator to help clear it out. Though they did say it doesn't appear to be that bad so they're unsure if the wax caused the issue. I have been using the treatment for a few days and it's not yet improved.

As I don't think it's the wax, or damage from loud music, I'm currently looking for other theories. I still have my fingers crossed that this will go away soon, and if it doesn't hopefully you guys can help me manage it.

Thanks,
      Joe

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. one-light
      Sunshine

one-light Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      stress/adrenalin + forgetting to breathe enough when online
      I know what you're saying about getting accustomed to it - some days when my tinnitus is up a notch and I've wondered if it is louder than several years ago, just that I've got used to it...

I would take this as an early warning sign - to protect your ears when attending gigs...

When my tinnitus is having a go - I will rest late afternoon 15 minutes, phone out of the way, no tv, deep relaxing breaths, think 'good thoughts' - then get up, say to myself ok rest over get on with it - then I will get busy doing jobs around the house for half an hour 'opening my mind', raise eyebrows slightly and focus on only what I'm doing, and keep busy, but not online - clears the mind of troublesome thoughts and the tinnitus is then down a notch...

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      AnApeNamedJoe
      Ape-like

AnApeNamedJoe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8th February 2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown/misfortune
      Hello fellow northerner,

Definitely, I completely agree. I was actually thinking that tinnitus may mean I probably shouldn't attend any gigs again. My raving days are well behind me, and the last concerts I went too were Classical/Neo-Classical and Jazz, so not exactly loud, but I wouldn't trade a night of great music for a lifetime of debilitating tinnitus.

I had actually seen these things, and was going to check if anyone on here had tried them:

https://www.flareaudio.com/collections/fb_ear-protectors/products/isolate-aluminium

Since my tinnitus appeared it has been going through peaks and troughs, ebbing between hard to hear and extremely distracting. Keeping busy definitely helps, anything that keeps me distracted. Though I can't turn off all electronics as I need some sound (music or TV) as a means of distraction, or the tinnitus starts to drive me a bit crazy. That is unless I'm outside. If I take the dog for a walk I don't seem to notice it, which is a great help. I just hope Boris lets those of us in the UK have a bit more freedom soon, so I can go hiking again, as I imagine that will help a great deal.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      AnApeNamedJoe
      Ape-like

AnApeNamedJoe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8th February 2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown/misfortune
      I have just heard from my extremely disinterested GP, whose 1 minute assessment of my symptoms is that I may have a virus, and that my tinnitus may be permanent, or may disappear after a week or 2. Which is essentially confirmation that it will either be permanent or it won't, which I could have guessed.

Has anyone else's tinnitus been caused by a virus?

However this turns out, I'll certainly be extremely careful with my hearing from this point onwards. I wonder if this means I shouldn't use my beloved Shure headphones?

5. Sayeed

Sayeed Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4/1/21
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unsure
      I just got tinnitus too. All I can say is ALWAYS get a second opinion. I have learned the hard way. One neuro said all good, the second opinion said wait a minute.