Identifying and Targeting Possible Tinnitus Genes

Discussion in 'Research News' started by Danny Boy, Sep 6, 2015.

1. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Danny Boy Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Update August 2015
      We’re pleased to announce a new partnership project with the University of Leicester. This project will aim to identify a possible tinnitus gene using microRNAs which are recently discovered small biological molecules present in any human or animal cells. Several hundred microRNAs have been discovered through research so far and many of them are shown to contribute to hearing loss.

If a possible tinnitus gene can be discovered in this way this research could pave the way for pharmaceutical treatments for tinnitus as well as expanding understanding of tinnitus.

This one year project will cost a total of £39,857, and to date £27,000 of grant support has been secured with the remainder of £12,857 being contributed from existing BTA research funds, generated from your kind donations

http://www.tinnitus.org.uk/tinnitusgenes

• Like Like x 5
      • Agree Agree x 1
    2. markoana

markoana Member

Tinnitus Since:
      50, 60 thousands in UK, that is disgrace, underestimation of this problem. Public is definitely not aware of this, so no one have obligation to invest in this kind of research. Terible

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Well, when I had hyperacusis nobody ever heard of it...Really horrible having a condition nobody heard of. Thankfully I don't have it now.

• Like Like x 2
    4. markoana

markoana Member

Tinnitus Since:
      I have made a thread about idea of organizing World T. Day, to put awareness of this condition on higher level, but as many member here told me, t. community is apathetical and not interested to do something (beside a few groups of ppl here, and few individuals as u Danny, that are trying to do something for this)..

So firstly we have to be mad on ourselves, than on goverments, health system, health org. etc...

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Sadly, even funding from these tinnitus charities are extremely low and the likes on facebook is even lower. So it's difficult.

6. markoana

markoana Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Exactly... sometimes I think that there is no more that 20.000 ppl wordwide with severe t. And about 1.000 of them are ready to do something abt it...

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Well, statically speaking...In the UK there are 600,000 people with severe tinnitus and 7 million with moderate to mild tinnitus.

8. markoana

markoana Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Statically, add to that 1 million with severe t from Germany, and 5 million from USA... rest of West Europe lets say 2 millions. That is 10 million, half of them is between age of 20 to 40. Where are those 5 millions, do they use internet, facebook. How it is possible that they do not care to share information on forums, social networks?

Especially if we know that doctors do not help them, like they did not helped us...

Wrong statistic or what?! :S

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Well, there's 65 million people worldwide with severe tinnitus.

10. markoana

markoana Member

Tinnitus Since:
      I know, but I cut it to the just 10 mill in developed part of World..and i do not see them anywhere on internet to take a part of anything. On TT there is just 7-8.000 members, fb page 500 members...

How to explain other 64.999.000 ppl with severe T. who they are talking with, where they got informations, asking a questions, taking advices?

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Most of those people are over the age of 50 and I'm guessing they don't use the internet. My nan's 56 and doesn't use the internet and she has tinnitus.

12. markoana

markoana Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Well mu granny is 71 also has t (genetic hah), but no, ppl over 60 have it quite common as part of ageing.

But T. in 20s is something else....and if 65 millions is total number, at least 15 million are under 45 and use internet...so still confusing

13. Mark662
      Transparent

Mark662 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1988
      If they read forums like this, they soon realise there isn't much they can do to ease their suffering and just put up with it for the rest of their lives.

I am guessing not many readers of this particular forum become members. There are at least 400 people viewing the forum at any one time, day or night, and only a handful of members logged in.

It by no means diminishes the scale of the problem. Quite simply, I believe most sufferers put up with it, but would rather not have the condition in the first place. Who wouldn't?

14. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      Also I think if you are over 50, which is a large percentage of the tinnitus group, then they possibly have other health conditions which are deemed to be more serious than tinnitus. If someone has a heart condition, diabetes, high blood pressure and T. I think they will care less about the T no matter how severe it is. However, on the flip side, my dad has all that I mentioned plus Hep C and loud T ---and he still hates his T just as much as the rest of us.

• Agree Agree x 1
    15. markoana

markoana Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Yes but we talk about official statistic that 65 million ppl have SEVERE t.
      So logical is that at least 15 million are under 45 years...it is huge number...

@Mark662 I can not be completely agreed with u, this forum is the only place that gives any kind of hope. In Research and Treatment topics. Place where u can inform and have discussion about aut63, SF34, about Trobalt that gives results and definetely does something in the brain that affect t... Hifu, rTMS, and other useful staf...

This forum simply say to you-staaaay :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    16. Mark662
      Transparent

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1988
      I've been hoping to rid my head of this noise for 25 years.

There was no cure back then and still nothing today. At least the condition is starting to be taken seriously by those who can potentially cure us all of this evil.

Hope is all we have.

• Like Like x 1
    17. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      There is a cure for Hep C. But it costs $30-$50 thousand dollars!!! This article says its available in Egypt for a mere 900 bucks.

http://t.thestar.com/#/article/life..._available_but_only_if_you_can_afford_it.html

18. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      I feel bad for you, having it this long...But you will find relief very soon. I hope to god these drugs will make tinnitus a past condition.

• Agree Agree x 4
    19. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      And lets say 20 million people in China have severe T!

• Agree Agree x 1
    20. erik
      Cool

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      Yup its crazy. We have to pay for the high cost of R&D while other countries pay fraction of what it costs us. I asked me dad about the Hep C drug a few months back. At that time (and I believe still is or close to) it was $1000 per day for 90-day treatment. I am not sure if his insurance would cover it or not but he said, not worth it because his new liver (he had transplant in 2005) will probably outlast him. I doubt he'd want to go to Eqypt.

• Agree Agree x 1
    21. markoana

markoana Member

Tinnitus Since:
      There is theory that cure for almost everything is developed, but just not affordable for all. Magic Johnson case of HIV, "cured" after few years in 1990's? Now Hep. C.

All they wanted with Hiv, and Hep C. was develop of drugs that u have to take until the end of your life, and u will live. It is just question of time when HIV is gonne declared as chronic virus by WHO. Newest generation of Hiv drugs gives chance of living up to 50 years with virus, just if Hiv is diagnosed in some early years of infection, of course before AIDS stage.

So who knows...those games are far away from us

22. Mark662
      Transparent

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1988

Cheers Danny. I hope so. It has messed me up for far too long

• Agree Agree x 1
    23. jeff W

jeff W Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2012
      Prevention is a sureproof way of lowering tinnitus numbers.

24. erik
      Cool

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      Yup, that is the truth. Unfortunately, I don't think most people care much about prevention especially youth. Tinnitus is one of those conditions which is near impossible to comprehend and understand unless you have it. My Dad (who has had T for 30+ years) told me about T and noise protection for years. I really didn't understand or take heed in his advice. And you can't really explain what T is like. Now I have T, I fully understand what he was trying to tell me....albeit too late.

I doubt even if there was a prevention pill available that you could take before a concert or loud event to prevent hearing damage etc, if many would do it. I am talking about those without T. I'm sure everyone with T would take such a pill to prevent it from worsening.

• Agree Agree x 1
    25. ruben ruiz

ruben ruiz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I believe it was meds and stress
      I love Danny Boys optimisim...

• Agree Agree x 1
    26. markoana

markoana Member

Tinnitus Since:
      But there are still so many causes of T. u never know how it can hit u, where and why...Mine started in the middle of exams, while I was studying in silence for days... Acoustic trauma is for sure cause of t. in 50% or more %. And that can be prevented, but in many causes it can not...Very complicated condition to treat, analise, and to cure... :/

• Like Like x 1
    27. 111

111 Member

Research similar to this has been conducted already, using side effect network analysis, and the results are in the below link.
      It is quite an technical read but has some interesting points none the less.
      If nothing else at least you get a list of all the meds they used for this research and know to avoid them

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3910011/

We used a network pharmacology side-effect analysis to search for genes that are involved in tinnitus generation. We analyzed a network of 1,313 drug–target pairs, based on 275 compounds that elicit tinnitus as side effect and their targets reported in databases, and used a quantitative score to identify emergent significant targets that were more common than expected at random. Cyclooxigenase 1 and 2 were significant, which validates our approach, since salicylate is a known tinnitus generator. More importantly, we predict previously unknown tinnitus-related targets. The present results have important implications toward understanding tinnitus pathophysiology and might pave the way toward the design of novel pharmacotherapies.

28. jeff W

jeff W Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2012
      Also, if they could screen for the gene/genes and then in the future they could knock the gene out when IV treatments become sufficiently complex. I come across a lot of menieres sufferers with a CLEAR familial association, they say things like "I wouldn't wish my inner ear disorder on my worst enemy". Then they go and have children and pass the disease on (or at least the strong possibility of it occurring, which is a reasonably foreseeable). I think if medicine remains incompetent at repairing the ear, it may be best to breed out the gene with technology. Have you noticed the amount of sufferers from the nordic countries? Blue eyes and fair hair makes you much more susceptible to menieres (and i would presume a lot of other ear disorders) its funny that people find blonde hair and blue eyes more desirable, when in fact being of African descent drastically lowers your risk.

• Agree Agree x 1