If Prednisone Helps My Tinnitus Spike, What Does This Indicate?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Earing, Jul 6, 2019.

1. Earing
      No Mood

Earing Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise
      I have what I would consider noise induced hearing loss and tinnitus. It seem to also be somewhat sensitive and reactive. My tinnitus is a high pitched hiss, and it gets louder and wider when it is triggered. I have the rare clear ring that will last about 4-10 seconds and then go away.

I did a short 5 day course of 50mg prednisone about 2 months after the damage. I noticed after I got off the prednisone and recovered from it my tinnitus was way better, and I was not nearly as sensitive. I was getting back to normal with the car radio and driving without earplugs. But I used a weed whacker with foam plugs and a 27 dB NNR pair of ear muffs on July 1st and my tinnitus went up to at least where it was when it first hit. So I started another 5 day course of prednisone a day or 2 after the spike. The second day my tinnitus was starting to back down and the reactive response has also abated.

What does this mean about the tinnitus?

I have sort of a triple threat. I have the noise trauma, I use a CPAP machine that clogs up my eustachian tubes, and I have to use a bite guard at night for grinding and clenching. I do think the real cause is noise as I have been exposed to loud crap all my life. I am 57.

I am also taking NAC, magnesium, B12, D3 and turmeric.

2. Laurie1961
      No Mood

Laurie1961 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      dental work
      Could be the foam rubber ear plugs were made with flame retardant treated foam rubber?

Prednisone is an anti-inflammatory mostly-- could be that the effects of the toxin responsible for the tinnitus is causing inflammation around your acoustic nerve that the Prednisone alleviates.

I had luck with something that reduces inflammation as well, that I believe worked due to it being a neurotoxin to a neuropeptide, Substance P that is involved with inflammation.

The responsible chemical in what I used is capsaicin and application behind my ears, back of neck and lower spine where a lot of substance P is produced, would give me significant relief. The body uses inflammation as a way to prevent further damage--sometimes it gets carried away and causes more pain.

What I used was hot sauce--but you can find the same ingredient in arthritis relief medicine. You could try a test to see if capsaicin application (when you are not using the Prednisone) has any effect and if it does then likely it is inflammation being relieved by the Prednisone too taking pressure off a nerve. There is an underlying reason, imho for the inflammation... You have to be a detective to figure out what it might be in your environment. I'm sure we have some common reactions to everyday toxins but everyone is different...

• Hug Hug x 1
    3. Samantha R

Samantha R Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I get reduction from prednisolone.
      I take Curcumin (with black pepper), and it brings my tinnitus way down, sometimes to almost silence.
      Try curcumin.

• Like Like x 1
      • Genius Genius x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Earing
      No Mood

Earing Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise
      Tumeric is the same as curcumin is it not?

5. Samantha R

Samantha R Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I believe Curcumin is an extract from Tumeric, and it is the curcumin extract that has the anti inflammatory properties.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Earing
      No Mood

Earing Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise
      I got this stuff from Costco in Canada. It is from Webber Naturals. It is called Advanced Turmeric. 500mg high absorption Anti-Inflammatory to help relieve joint pain. From webber's site:

Advanced Turmeric from Webber Naturals feature Meriva®, a patented curcumin complex that has been clinically shown to significantly increase absorption of curcumin, the key active ingredient of turmeric. Curcumin is extremely difficult to absorb, so it’s important to get more of it into your bloodstream. Clinical studies have also shown that Meriva curcumin supports a healthy inflammation response, joint mobility and flexibility, and also provides antioxidant activity.

• Anti-inflammatory to relieve joint pain when used in conjunction with conventional treatments
      • Featuring high absorption Meriva® curcumin
      • Provides antioxidants for the maintenance of good health
      • Suitable for vegetarians

ingredients
      Main Ingredients
      Each capsule contains:
      Curcuminoids-Phosphatidylcholine Complex (Curcuma longa, rhizome & Glycine max, sunflower) (33% curcuminoids) 300 mg
      (provided by 500 mg Meriva® Curcumin from turmeric root)
      Non-Medicinal Ingredients
      Vegetarian capsule (carbohydrate gum, purified water), microcrystalline cellulose, silica;, vegetable grade magnesium stearate (lubricate).

Suggested Use
      Helps relieve joint inflammation and associated symptoms such as joint pain *when used in conjunction with conventional treatment. Provides antioxidants for the maintenance of good health.

7. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      Pred is a steroid. Steroids can possibly cause jitters, and anxiety. Both the jitters and anxiety can possibly rattle the mind and then a spike is possible. We are all different and meds can affect us all in different ways....

8. sakrt
      Tired

sakrt Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Specific issues
      What's the difference from Curcumin in a bottle(drugstore) vs from bulk(bag) used for cooking? Convenience?

The spice does have quite a strong flavor and smell. Does anyone know if this excude out the pores like garlic does if you consume a lot? (Scent of curry) @JohnAdams

9. T Toledo OH

T Toledo OH Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/26/20
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Likely loud noise and earbuds
      What kind of toxin would cause the tinnitus?

You have noise induced tinnitus but also chronic sinus blockage, but my eustachian tubes are clear. Getting surgery this week. Is it possible the sinus inflammation is pushing against a nerve making tinnitus more prevalent?