If Tinnitus Is a Symptom of an Underlying Condition...

Discussion in 'Support' started by Natalie Roberts, Mar 2, 2016.

tinnitus forum
    1. Natalie Roberts
      Depressed

Natalie Roberts Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Pregnancy or mild hearing loss.. Who knows.
      I keep reading everywhere that tinnitus is not a disease itself but rather a symptom of another underlying condition. So, if this is the case why do ENTs blow us off instead of search for the underlying condition!?!

I mean in my case I have super mild hearing loss that I didn't even know existed until my hearing test.. And then there was the pregnancy. So they just assumed it was one of those two things that caused it. But what if there's something else? Would be nice to find a dr who would take us seriously and actually try to find the underlying cause. Sorry! Feeling frustrated so had to vent.

• Agree Agree x 1
    2. attheedgeofscience
      Uninvolved

attheedgeofscience Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Childhood
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head Injury
      They - ENTs - rule out the underlying serious causes (treatable or not). They rule out the treatable causes (objective tinnitus). After that, you are left with subjective tinnitus which usually originates within the cochlea and is non-treatable (all-in-all).

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    3. Natalie Roberts
      Depressed

Natalie Roberts Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Pregnancy or mild hearing loss.. Who knows.
      They didn't rule out any conditions for me. They looked in my ears asked me some questions and said maybe it will go away, maybe it won't and sent me on my way.

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. ceauses97
      Speechless

ceauses97 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/12/15
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud music/chemotherapy/hypercalcemia
      To clarify, tinnitus isn't exactly a condition we know much about. There are several question we still don't have the answer to. But in all honestly, if your tinnitus came under pregnancy I wouldn't take it as a concidence, there is probably a strong connection with some kind of nerve damage. Your only hope is for the body to fix the damage itself.

• Like Like x 1