If Xanax Works to Help Me Sleep Will a Non-Addictive Anti-Anxiety Pill Help Too?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Marie79, Mar 18, 2016.

tinnitus forum
    1. Marie79

Marie79 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/1/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      So Xanax helps but I know I can't depend on that if this tinnitus lasts (had it 2 months now).

Has anyone had any success with a more long-tern anti-anxiety pill like Buspar?

2. Fangen
      Playful

Fangen Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2nd, 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma (loud concert for 1h)
      From my understanding, I could be wrong so don't take my answer as definitive, the others I have spoke to have problems to go back to non-addictive anxiety pills once they have been on the stronger ones. Everybody is different so it could very well be a single case, but for them they have been on stronger AD for longer periods on and off, and the light one doesn't seem to impact them since their brain and body has already been used to the stronger one. Kind like booze, once you have gotten used to drink a lot, your tolerance goes up and a single beer or drink doesn't impact you the same way as it would have if you had low tolerance.
      It is worth to try the non addictive one and see what it can do for you.

3. Martin69
      Artistic

Martin69 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      (Health) Anxiety
      I am currently thinking about Lexapro or Zoloft against anxiety.
      Have prescriptions for both. I stopped Remeron one week ago and I am not in good shape.
      So will go back to Remeron in the evening (as sleep aid) and see about Lexapro and Zoloft.

Of course a Xanax (benzo) would be the best, but high addiction and tolerance.
      So be careful.

4. TeresaD
      Fine

TeresaD Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @Martin69 I was wondering if you started your SSRI and which one you decided to go with? I'm currently contemplating on whether I should go with Lexapro or Zoloft and wanted to know how you're doing. Thanks!!

5. Ears Hurt

Ears Hurt Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Whiplash or Buzzer (abuse from ex)
      @Marie79 I have been taking Valium on and off. When I try to go to something less addictive, it doesn't seem to work as well. It does however help give me a break from the stronger medicines. It doesn't hurt to try it. You can always go back to the Xanax.

• Useful Useful x 1
    6. Cheza
      Wishful

Cheza Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barking dogs/stress
      It might be worthwhile to consider an over-the-counter sleeping remedy. After one night of torment with screaming T that kept me up until 3:00 a.m., I went to the local drugstore and asked for a recommendation. The pharmacist suggested generic doxylamine succinate, the same thing that's sold in Unisom.

Dosage is 25mg per pill, but based on what I read in the reviews on Amazon, many people get benefit from splitting the pill in half. I did that, and slept through the night for the first time in 2 years. I take half a pill almost every night about an hour before bedtime, then I drink a cup of Celestial Seasonings Sleepytime Extra tea at bedtime. I now sleep 7 to 8 hours every night.

I don't know how addictive doxylamine succinate is long-term, but constant sleep deprivation is detrimental to the mind and body. Getting 7 to 8 hours of sleep helps me to cope with the tinnitus.

7. Beste
      Disappointed

Beste Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/16/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo/Clonazepam, Stress
      Remeron works magic for me. And bear in mind that I have been dealing with chronic insomnia for the last 6 years.

8. Tommi_boi
      Relaxed

Tommi_boi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/04/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      Just my two sense, I kinda believe that any drug is gonna have some kinda of side effect, so I try not to touch any, even aspirin - I'd rather ride most conditions out unless I absolutely have to !

Safest way to not aggravate T with drugs

I feel for u, I had insomnia for a few months and know how tough it is!

9. Sgguy46
      Jaded

Sgguy46 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      maybe insomnia causes tinnitus

10. Beste
      Disappointed

Beste Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/16/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo/Clonazepam, Stress
      My chronic GAD+chronic insomnia+benzo withdrawal caused my T. For the God's sake I'm only 24 why my brain acts as if it belongs to an grumpy hundred years old nanny.

• Funny Funny x 2
    11. Martin69
      Artistic

Martin69 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      (Health) Anxiety
      I haven't taken Lexapro or Zoloft yet. I am on Remeron just as sleeping aid. But this is only 7.5 mg, which is nothing. But it helps me for better sleep. So I take 7,5 mg two hours before bed time.

Regarding Lexapro and Zoloft, I would take Lexapro. My psych doc recommended Zoloft since there is higher flexibility with dosage (a wider spectrum). But if I read side effects, Zoloft has T as a higher chance than Lexapro. Of course we all already have T, so we cannot get it anymore. But I don't know if it can further worsened. My T is already bad enough. Don't want to get more tones.

I have a prescription here for Lexapro. But I don't know if I should take. My anxiety is somehow manageable. For me the main issue is loud T (which is unmaskable) and low energy.

12. TeresaD
      Fine

TeresaD Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thank you for answering. I have a prescription for Zoloft but haven't started it yet because I'm scared it'll make my T worse, but my anxiety is out of control....ugh

• Agree Agree x 1