If You Could Control One, What Would You Choose

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Harris08, Sep 14, 2017.

?

If you could control one, what would you choose?

1. Air

2. Water

3. Fire

4. Wind

Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. Harris08
      Scared

Harris08 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      ?!?!?!?!?

2. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

threefirefour Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      I want to be the last airbender

3. Mr Worried
      Dreaming

Mr Worried Member

Tinnitus Since:
      august 2017-july 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ripped the tag off a mattress
      No earth option?

bummer

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Harris08
      Scared

Harris08 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I was gonna put it but everyone will choose earth

5. Bobbie7
      Wishful

Bobbie7 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Extreme stress, sinus infection
      Too bad "anger" is not on the list. If it was, I would wish to temper it in some individuals.

6. Lex
      Blah

Lex Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad decisions
      Good thing it isn't and you can't. :)

7. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      What do you mean by "control"? If you mean "decide who gets it", then I guess "air" would be the most valuable to control.

• Like Like x 2
    8. Bobbie7
      Wishful

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Lex - This message is for you.

Bobbie7 said: Pertaining to a Thread: If you could control one, which one would it be?

Too bad "anger" is not on the list. If it was, I would wish to temper it in some individuals ... Bobbie7 replied....

@Lex said in response: (see above post) Good thing it isn't and you can't. :)

@Lex also said (see above post) : You can't teach an almost 70-year-old new tricks.

Your statement above is nothing less than disrespectful and you show a lack of decorum and decent behavior.

I have chosen to remain quiet despite your continuing negative comments but have decided to be silent no longer.

I recently paid @Michael Leigh a compliment to which you added your "laughing" emoticon.

Apparently you chose to mark this message as "funny" so I am so happy it pleases you as I wish all members here happiness. You should only have 1/100th of the goodness which @Michael Leigh has and you will at least be considered a somewhat decent person. You have negatively commented on some of my posts and you are a troublemaker. You chose to disparage me as an older person simply because you did not agree with my views.

YOU, with your actual bizarre face as your avatar are an obnoxious twit beyond description. You are an example the most UN-ladylike person I have met thus far in my life. Have your parents instructed you that to pepper your expressions with "f" this and "f" that is entirely inappropriate, especially amongst civilized people? Apparently, they have neglected their duty. You are a vile and repugnant person.

Once I posted a statement against suicide and YOU were brazen in your mockery of me as an older person. Shame on you!!! You have NO respect at all for those older than you and I wonder if you treat your grandparents in this manner as well????

You are a fly in the ointment of decency and all that is good. Perhaps your troublesome tinnitus of late is actually Karma attending to you. Consider that!

• Winner Winner x 3
    9. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      I would like to be able to control my tinnitus and hyperacusis. Even just some lowering would be a breath of fresh air, less fire in my head and wind hurting my ears. I would be able to take a shower without the water sounds hurting my ears.

As a added control, not having my tinnitus get any worse. Then I would have the courage to take on other health concerns, use needed drugs, and be able to write a better post.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Funny Funny x 1
    10. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @Bobbie7

Dear Barbara,

It is always a pleasure to read your posts as they are written so well and flow effortlessly throughout the page, even on this unhappy occasion. It can’t have given you much pleasure to write but I fully understand your reason and agree with everything that you have said.

When I first met the person in question, her conduct was not like it is today. She was polite and well mannered and I thought what a delightful person. How could I have got it so wrong? I was brought up to have manners and respect towards people especially to one's elders and refrain from using bad language. In my opinion, for a man to use bad language it is most ungentlemanly. When a woman uses it especially in public, I see it as: ugly, grotesque and most unladylike behaviour and think as you do. How on earth could one’s parents be proud to see their child behave in such a repugnant way.

Take care and wishing you all the best.

Michael

• Like Like x 2
    11. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I don't think I could be mad at another T sufferer. If they say something I disapprove of, I know their T might be unbearable, making it more likely for them to lose their cool.

• Hug Hug x 1
    12. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      With respect @Bill Bauer It has nothing to do with us being mad at a particular person. Barbara and I can rise well above it. We just find such behaviour in this individual appalling because it's all to do with character. I believe one should conduct themselves in a decent and polite manner and refrain from using bad language especially to one's elders and show respect, this is the issue here. It doesn't matter if one's tinnitus is screaming loudly it is not an excuse to behave in such a way - sorry. I read the posts that @Bobbie7 Barbara is alluding to and frankly, the language was vitriolic, disrespectful and made for quite unpleasant reading and certainly something I would be ashamed of, if I knew a close friend or family member was to express themselves in such a way on a public forum.

Michael

• Like Like x 1
    13. TheDanishGirl
      Sad

TheDanishGirl Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017 (H since 06/2017)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      long term noise exposure (headphones), maybe some stress.
      Wind! No doubt....

Where I live it is very windy many days a year, and I hate it.....I rely on my bicycle and I hate cycling in very windy weather :D

• Like Like x 2
    14. Bobbie7
      Wishful

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Michael Leigh - I agree with Michael's statements and this person @Lex has illustrated her disrespect toward me on a few occasions not only by attacking my views but also by her negative manner and statements when she mentions that I am older (I am 72 years old). When someone is having a particularly bad day, when they are taking issue with a point someone has made and their purposeful intent is defending their view in an inappropriate way, they should remove themselves from the conversation rather than spewing vitriolic comments and being offensive.

If a person's tinnitus is "unbearable" as you put it, then they need to stay quiet if they are feeling nasty. Since I have been a member of this wonderful forum, my goal has been to try to be helpful, supportive and comforting. I have always been polite and will continue to be. If I disagree with someone, I will do so but in a respectful and considerate way and not with the intention of disparaging another.

On a different and final note, is it really necessary to use foul language so publicly for all to see in this forum? I think not... and yet it is a regular practice by this young woman.

I suppose after all is said and done, true character really does shine through!

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    15. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Posts that members are not happy with need reporting and delt with off the forum and not public tickle tackle on a tinnitus forum .
      However bad language needs reporting as not nice to read off any member.
      Love glynis x

16. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I am in a unique position of genuinely respecting the people who are older than me and at the same time being disturbed when hearing someone say "suicide is never an option." She made a valid point that the amount of suffering one can escape by committing suicide is higher for a 22 year old compared to that of a 72 year old. Of course she made her point in an incredibly insulting manner. I can't read another person's mind, but my guess is that she found your statement "suicide should never be an option" to be deeply and profoundly insulting (as did I), and she (wrongly) felt that it was appropriate to respond to an insult with an insult.

17. Bobbie7
      Wishful

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      You are entirely mistaken @Bill Bauer. What I said was NOT an insult! Having in the past been a facilitator of a local "sharing and caring" mental health support group for the parents and family members of people suffering from various mental illnesses, I understand (perhaps far more than you could ever) that many of their loved ones attempted suicide and for some of those... thankfully, their failed attempts were blessings in disguise. For those who were successful, those parents, husbands/wives and friends suffered unimaginable, interminable grief which I am sure you could not even begin to grasp. The fortunate ones who were unsuccessful in ending their own lives, after receiving appropriate treatment and therapy, were grateful they had survived their attempts. No @bob bauer ... what I said was absolutely NO insult and it is unfortunate that you took it as such. Perhaps some would have been more pleased with me if I had begun a thread under the title: Come Here All Ye Who Wish to Commit Suicide and Be Welcome!

As an example, look at some of the notable, long-standing courageous members of this forum and you will note they had contemplated suicide but ever so thankfully for their families and.. for us... had changed their minds and decided to continue on. They have Life... they have meaningful and full lives despite having severe forms of tinnitus. Yes, tinnitus is a miserable malady but then so is mental illness and I have known so many who despite their individual maladies, have chosen to live on (despite their failed attempts) and I might add.. are grateful they did !

Sorry to post once again @glynis, you are a good, well-meaning and highly respected person whom I admire.

However, concerning this present post, I do not wish to be told by the person I addressed this to that I have 'insulted' anyone and felt it necessary to respond. I hope you and others realize I have the best of intentions always, understand and feel great empathy for those who suffer - both from tinnitus and mental illness especially since I have been touched by both myself.

P.S. When my husband was a boy, his grandmother committed suicide...... jumping from the 6th floor of her building and its impact spiraled through many generations.

• Like Like x 1
    18. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Hi @Bobbie7 ,
      I hope your ears are ok.

My views regarding any member whom posts a message that upsets another should be reported and delt with quietly off the forum.
      This is not aimed at anyone and only my view so it does not escalate ...
      Your posts are always lovely to read.
      Love glynis x

• Hug Hug x 1
    19. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I know that you didn't Mean it as an insult. Nevertheless (and you can see the evidence of this when you read many of the responses that you got) this doesn't change the fact that what you said had insulted and disturbed many people (myself included). We found the ideas that you voiced to be profoundly disturbing, insulting and just plain wrong. What makes it worse is that unfortunately currently the public policy in most countries is dictated by people who hold the same dangerous views as the ones you have been voicing.

I do.

I disagree with you, but I can place myself into your shoes and understand where you are coming from. You don't seem to be able to see where people like me are coming from.
      Even if the reality is that that is what has actually happened?
      I guess the empathy you feel is not great enough to want to end the person's suffering.

We shouldn't get into an argument over this, as I have a feeling we are not going to change anyone's views.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    20. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      The point of this thread was:
      If you could control one, what would you choose?

Not:
      List your many grievances with other forum members.

:dohanimation:

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    21. Berik

Berik Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I would say wind; always make sure there's enough wind to cover the sound of the roaring T.

• Like Like x 1
    22. Spiral
      Balanced

Spiral Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      You beat me to it.

If I could control air, I would create a vacuum for no sound, eliminating the H.
      If I could control fire, I would stop the crackling inferno in my head.
      If I could control water, I would stop the trickling rain causing a spike.
      If I could control wind, I would stop the endless howling keeping me awake.

• Like Like x 2