If You Have Tried Residual Inhibition, Did It Temporarily Eliminate Your Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by JasonP, May 3, 2016.

?

If you have tried residual inhibition, did it temporarily eliminate your tinnitus?

1. Yes, I hear silence

9 vote(s)
    39.1%
  2. Only partially

12 vote(s)
    52.2%
  3. Not at all

2 vote(s)
    8.7%
    1. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      I tried it but it doesn't get rid of all my tinnitus. Only some. Most of my right ear it does. Basically, for me, it seems to get rid of all the tinnitus that can be masked. I haven't done it in a while because I am not sure if it safe. I definitely wouldn't want anyone else hurting themselves either.

2. jeanoroid
      Yeehaw

jeanoroid Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music / headphones
      How does RI work?

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      Go to google and type "residual inhibition" and then click on the .pdf at the top.

4. jeanoroid
      Yeehaw

jeanoroid Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music / headphones
      So in simple it essentially is intended to re-awaken the hearing-loss zone by blasting it with frequencies in that range?
      Not too far off from folks w/o reactive T being able to rectify using hearing aids I suppose..
      Pretty scary for folks with particularly reactive T like mine. dagnabbit!

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      Oh yeah, reactive T would be bad news I would think! :(

6. mikejohnno
      Thinking

mikejohnno Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 21st 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Clubbing
      (Sorry if this is in the wrong section by the way)

Hi

So I was playing around with the tone generator (http://www.szynalski.com/tone-generator/) and I found that as I pressed play and moved the scale up and down, my tinnitus in both ears would quieten at a certain point.

So I nailed it to when it did, and my left ear turns off (like a mute button) at around 800-1000HZ, and my right ears stops around 1200-1500HZ. I'm not certain that this is the sound at which they ring in my ears, it's just the tone it stops at.

Anyway, so what I then did was, I started at 1500HZ, and quickly scrolled down to 850HZ, then stopped. The sound in my sear was immediately quieter, like half of what it was. It stayed like that for some time. It did return later but I feel as if this is me retraining my brain or ears to get used to that frequency again.

Adding to this, sometimes when I do a hearing range test and move the tone from one end to the other, it also gives me peace very briefly, not for as long as my technique above.

Is this just residual inhibition? I thought that involved a longer process.

Cheers

M

7. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      No.

I think you are describing classical residual inhibition.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    8. SusanButcher
      Tired

SusanButcher Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Answering the topic question, RI temporarily stops the annoying component of my tinnitus, which is a constant tone at 1.6kHz in my right ear. There's a quieter musical burble around 1.2kHz that I don't need to stop because I actually like listening to it! I focus on this sound to tune out the 1.6k T when I'm trying to sleep. But that approach doesn't work on the nights when the 1.6k is bad.

9. illegalmonkey77
      Fine

illegalmonkey77 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/20/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Likely due to fluid in ears, and then it just stuck around.
      The very first time I listened to some pink noise in the 4 kHz range, after I turned it off my T was gone for like 5 seconds. I only listened for a few mins that first time. I haven't had the same thing happen since though so not sure what's up with that.

10. Jomo

Jomo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/4/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      going for a rim shot on the snare drum.
      In the beginning I accidentally found out about it by trying to find the sound on youtube to show someone. To my surprise the T was gone when I stopped playing it. I did it for a quiet a bit and I remember that night I had complete silence for a while until I went to bed. As time went on my T tone changed and it doesnt work as effective as it used to anymore.

11. pnda

pnda Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      This is not really a treatment as the effects only last some minutes at least in my case.
      I noticed that when I carefully listen to this sound starting from 8 kHz until it fades out, my tinnitus is gone either 80% to 90% or completely:

20Hz to 20kHz (Human Audio Spectrum)

Unfortunately this effect only lasts some minutes and I can literally hear it slowly coming back.

For some time I didn't understood what was going on then I found another video that is similar where some people were having the same effect.

Apparently this is called residual inhibition and works to some extend for at least 8 out of 10 tinnitus patients.

My tinnitus is only 3 and a half weeks old and I am not sure if I will continue this because I don't know if this will help or harm in the long run.

I am curious to know if residual inhibition works for other people on this forum.