If You Were Cured Tomorrow, What Is the First Thing You Would Do?

Discussion in 'Support' started by bill 112, Apr 15, 2014.

tinnitus forum
    1. bill 112
      Studious

bill 112 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Well guys decided to start this thread out of curiousty to see if you were cured tomorrow whats the first thing youd do?Ha despite sitting in a silent room for 24 hours of course!!

2. cullenbohannon
      Thinking

cullenbohannon Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2014
      Ahhh that was gonna be my first answer lol. I'm going to think about this one

• Like Like x 1
    3. T Bone
      No Mood

T Bone Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/2013
      Tell my family, thank them for all the support they have been giving me, then go for a long walk and take everything in, then go to my bedroom, shut all the noise off close all the doors and have a nap in silence for the first time in 5 months!

• Like Like x 3
    4. here2help

here2help Member

bill 112, I have tinnitus and yet I think of myself as cured. I have felt this way for a long time. I wouldn't want to sit in a silent room for 24 hours because I can sit in any room I like for as long as I want to, and tinnitus has less importance to me than the sound of a space heater, a refrigerator, a passing car outside my home, or any other negligible, unimportant, non-threatening background sound. It may sound strange, but I can read, rest, or listen to music in a quiet room and feel completely engaged in what I'm doing regardless of what tinnitus is doing, and my level of engagement is no different than it was before I developed tinnitus. I know that some of us hang our hopes on a cure for tinnitus. I believe a cure has already been found and we are it. For many of us, everything we need to convert tinnitus into a meaningless background sound is already inside us. It may take some time to access that, and we may either do that on our own or with a little help, but the capacity to do so is present within us given some time and a strategy that is well-suited to our individual needs.

To answer your question, the first thing I'm going to do tomorrow is to keep a good thought for everyone here who is struggling with tinnitus, like I once was, and hope that each of us is able to eventually put tinnitus in the rear view mirror where it belongs.

here2help

• Like x 6
      • Winner x 6
      • Funny x 2
      • Helpful x 1
      • Informative x 1
      • Optimistic x 1
    5. bill 112
      Studious

bill 112 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Theres no way id go for a nap cause once I got into that bed youd have a hard time getting me back out of it!!haha

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    6. bill 112
      Studious

bill 112 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Im delighted that you consider yourself cured h2h and your proof that habituation is possible but lets say for pig iron that your T was completely erradicated you have to admit it would be a huge relief and a huge weight pulled off your shoulders.To never have to worry about it getting worse (which it did for me)not continually monitor sound as it may or may not make it worse.This forum is flooded with questions like if I eat this will it make it worse or if I dont do this will it make it worse a majority of people will admit that they do worry about it getting worse.But if T was cured meaning completely gone im sure that would be a huge relief to people.There are also people whose T is a lot more intrusive than lets say mine or yours and reading a book may not be as easy as it is for me or you.So my question still stands what would be the first thing youd do if your T was cured.Some people might respond that theyd love to read a book in peace.

7. here2help

here2help Member

bill 112, if my tinnitus was completely eradicated, it wouldn’t be a huge relief to me. For me, the huge relief came when I went from feeling torn apart by tinnitus to feeling just a bit of daylight between how I initially felt when tinnitus hit and how I began to feel as some time passed and I began to do things very differently. Much later, I became disinterested in tinnitus, regardless of what it was doing. But well before that, I felt something much more valuable than disinterest. I felt an inkling that I was eventually going to be OK. For me, that inkling or intuition was a huge relief and the rest was a matter of time, learning, and working at it in a consistent, daily way until I no longer needed to work at it at all.

Tinnitus hasn’t been like a weight on my shoulders in a very long time. I’d compare it to the weight of a very small piece of paper on my shoulders with nothing written on it, or to a piece of lint in the corner of a room. I’m no longer concerned about whether tinnitus will get worse because I have experienced it and gotten past it. I’m not concerned whether exposure to normal sound will exacerbate my tinnitus.

Don’t get me wrong, Bill. Most of the things you mentioned concerned me too at an earlier point, and it is normal to feel that way when we’re scared or overwhelmed. Will eating something make tinnitus worse? Will hearing something make it worse? What if it gets worse on its own? These are typical and understandable questions to ask at those times. Fortunately, they aren’t the sort of questions we are consigned to asking for a lifetime.

The other thing I want to mention is that it would be a mistake to think that my feeling the way I do is related to the intrusivity of my tinnitus versus, say, someone else’s tinnitus. It wouldn’t be possible to experience tinnitus as any more intrusive than I did. I like to use the image of someone pouring a gallon of water into a pitcher of water that was already filled to the top. I was full-up. Tinnitus brought me straight down, as it brings a number of us straight down, and there isn’t anything particularly special or singular about it. Learning to stand up is a different story, and we each learn how to do that in our own way and in our own time.

here2help

• Like Like x 5
      • Winner Winner x 1
    8. bill 112
      Studious

bill 112 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      H2h I was like you completely habituated and free from T.It didnt bother me in the slightest bit,I didnt worry about everyday noise or anything like that I led a completely normal productive life as I did before T.But guess what it got a lot worse even though I was smart about my ears.To me habituation is basically letting your guard down you think your normal and you act normal and then BAM!!Something stupid and small happens that wouldnt affect anyone elses ears but its affected yours.To me habituation is by no means a cure its just accepting it and moving on.But what if you no longer can move on.It gets to a stage where habituation is basically impossible.I get terrible headaches everyday and can barely be around noise I mean how is someone meant to function normally like this??Lets say there is two people with arthritis one has moderate pains in his fingers especially if he lifts something heavy so what does he do??He avoids lifting heavy things in the same way we avoid excessively loud venues and in return he reduces the pain in his hand and lives a normal functional life with tolerable moderate pains in his hands.He gets used to it or habituated but not cured.Now lets take the second man who has it so bad even moving his finger causes excruciating pain its going to be alot harder for him to function and habituate to the arthritis than the first man.All he wants is relief and unfortunately im that second man.

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. christine kauhane
      Sunshine

christine kauhane Member

Tinnitus Since:
      june 9th 2013
      Lie on the beach and take a nice peaceful sleep...:cool::sleep:

• Like Like x 2
    10. LeQuack
      Scared

LeQuack Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad luck and bad genes
      I would feel happiness again in a long time.

• Like Like x 2
      • Winner Winner x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
    11. Penelope33
      Torn

Penelope33 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2013
      I know the feeling, to be cured from tinnitus. I had no noise in my ears or head ever at all, until I leaked spinal fluid after a spinal block. This left me with a generator noise in my head for 3 days until a blood patch repaired me. I would sit in silence thinking and feeling huge relief. So happy to hear the silence again. Only 3 weeks later I got permanant tinnitus. Now my silence is gone and there is really nothing I can do. Create new silence, a noisy silence....our daily lives are filled with noise anyway. This t has caused me to want to end my life. But right now, I'm in a better place.

• Hug Hug x 2
    12. MattK

MattK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/13/2014
      lol... well that's the thing, I don't think I would do anything differently except maybe try to sit in a room listening for it. But my T does't interfere with my life anymore.

• Like Like x 1
    13. JTP
      No Mood

JTP Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      5/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Shit happens
      I probably would do something stupid and wake up with screaming tinnitus next morning.

• Funny Funny x 10
      • Like Like x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
      • Creative Creative x 1
    14. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      Not be afraid to go out and to play drums!!!!! :)

• Like Like x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
    15. LondonGirl

LondonGirl Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Invest in the company that cured it!

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Creative Creative x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    16. Saif
      Suicidal

Saif Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      I will be the happiest person and I would know that happiness is not only about money.

• Winner Winner x 3
      • Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    17. Catarina
      Old hag

Catarina Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2006
      What I would like to do is take a trip to the Scottish Highlands, walk out into the wilderness and just listen to the silence. Well, apart from the sound of bleating sheep in the distance and probably some birds.

• Like Like x 2
    18. Willie
      Fine

Willie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/20/2010
      Sleep for an entire day to be blatantly honest. :sleep:

• Like Like x 2
    19. bill 112
      Studious

bill 112 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      For me it would mean the world!!As Saif said money isnt happiness or as we say in Ireland your health is your wealth.The first thing id do would get back the love of my life who I lost because of this BS.Then id take my lovely sportscar back out of the garage and drive to the UK taking in all the sounds and smells of the beautiful english countryside and enjoy every second of it.This is my dream and im dedicated to accomplishing it no matter what stands in my way.Whatever treatment,surgery or crazy cure arises ill be first in line without a shadow of doubt.What I absolutely love about this thread so far is that nobody has said a ROCK CONCERT!!Everything thats been mentioned so far is the beautiful little things in life that everybody takes for granted everyday that means so much to us.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    20. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      I wish nothing more for you to be able to do all that you said and hopefully were soon all there and dont have any more worries with it!

• Like Like x 1
    21. bill 112
      Studious

bill 112 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Thanks Grace I know well all get there eventually.Best wishes

• Hug Hug x 1
    22. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      Your post kinda made me tear up a bit.. Its so true that people take the lil things for granted in life. Just shows you and everyone else on here are stronger souls then the average joe. Best wishes to you :)

• Like Like x 1
    23. Erlend
      Question it

Erlend Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2013
      Read a book in the woods

• Like Like x 1
    24. pef

pef Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/16/2013
      I'd probably say, "Hey, my tinnitus went away! Great!"

And that would be about it.

I've gotten to the point where my T doesn't affect me much, so it going away would not be an incredibly enriching experience. Granted, it would be nice, but objectively, nobody would likely notice.

• Like Like x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    25. Sean

Sean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01-01-2011
      I would meditate again !

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    26. dan
      Chatty

dan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      masturbate.

• Like Like x 6
      • Funny Funny x 5
    27. II Packy II
      Doubtful

II Packy II Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2012
      I would legitimately cry, cry, cry, cry, cry, cry, then spend a lot of money on something entirely frivolous.

• Like Like x 4
      • Hug Hug x 1
    28. jewellanne1010

jewellanne1010 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/1999
      Awww relief no more anxiety

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    29. Martin69
      Artistic

Martin69 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      (Health) Anxiety
      I would invite all my friends for a big party.
      And I would go onto a luxury vacation with my wife.

• Like Like x 3
      • Hug Hug x 1
    30. DebS

DebS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      I would get on my knees and thank God with all my heart! I try to do that anyway, because I believe that life's hardships can be occasions of growth and grace.
      Here are a few quotes I find appropriate:

"We have no right to ask when sorrow comes, "Why did this happen to me?" unless we ask the same question for every moment of happiness that comes our way. "~Author Unknown

"If you don't like something change it; if you can't change it, change the way you think about it." ~Mary Engelbreit

"Life is thickly sown with thorns, and I know no other remedy than to pass quickly through them. The longer we dwell on our misfortunes, the greater is their power to harm us." ~Voltaire

• Winner Winner x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1