If Your Tinnitus Improved, Did It Improve Very Gradually?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Emma33, Jun 27, 2019.

1. Emma33

Emma33 Member Podcast Patron

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trauma
      Hi,

If you had tinnitus, and it improved, did it fluctuate as it improved? (With some days bad and some days good, but gradually more and more good days?)

My tinnitus seemed to be getting worse, but over the past 2 months I've had one quiet period for 3 days, then a month later another quiet 4 days, then a week later another quiet period for 7 days. It seems to be coming back a bit worse today - so I am wondering if this is a fairly normal pattern of improvement? Where the quiet days slowly increase but there is still a lot of fluctuation?

(I should make clear that this isn't habituation - on the quiet days the sound is dramatically less.)

Thanks!
      Emma

• Good Question Good Question x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    2. Rb86

Rb86 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5/31/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      I sure hope I get there. It would be quite a blessing. I'm 4 weeks in. I have fluctuations, and it's absolutely better than when it FIRST started (very loud low warble).

Keep doing what you're doing and protect your ears. Hopefully you continue to improve.

• Like Like x 1
    3. Blodorn
      Bored

Blodorn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      It's been 3 weeks since my tinnitus onset, and yeah, my tinnitus is definitely not as loud as it was 3 weeks ago. It has gradually faded but sometimes it's going back kinda loud, not as much as the first day tho!

Acoustic trauma.

• Like Like x 1
    4. Digital Doc

Digital Doc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      @Emma33

My tinnitus is noise induced, and improved over the last 9 months. Protection from additional noise exposures is important.

It definitely did not improve in a linear fashion, with lots of good days and bad days in between. It was also annoying and upsetting when it would be louder for no obvious reason. Stick with the program, and hopefully it will improve.

• Like Like x 2
      • Informative Informative x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Emma33

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trauma
      Thanks everyone for those helpful responses - it does help to know that improvement is often non-linear, so I shouldn't panic if things are a bit worse today!

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. Kelvin

Kelvin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Work
      Hi @Emma33
      Im Three years in and I do think it has improved. Or it may be I care less and just have to get on with what life I have. I certainly get more 'better' days now than I did Three years ago.
      It's far from linear through and I can suddenly get a bad stretch out of seemingly nowhere.
      It just so odd. I have never been able to find what triggers a bad ( worse ) few days and have now given up.
      What I have discovered for MY T is a link to neck, jaw. When my neck hurts my T is high.
      It also seems certain foods can cause a short spike of an hour or so - Sugar and Salt are the biggest culprits. My guess is a blood pressure link.
      Anyhow...I won't bore you with any more of that.
      I hope you are having good day today X

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Emma33

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trauma
      Thanks Kelvin - glad to hear you are doing better!!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    8. bellecooper77
      Bookworm

bellecooper77 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Ive had tinnitus for around 2 months, and it has gradually gotten better! Its shifted from being in both ears to mostly my right, and it went from a toned ringing to a hiss. Usually for people it has gotten better.

I still have no idea what caused mine - my hearing is better than normal and I've suffered from allergies for months, my posture is terrible and I took a ton of ibuprofen for years, which is on the list of medication that cause tinnitus.

• Like Like x 1
    9. El BUZZ
      Buzzed

El BUZZ Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Hi @Emma33! How is your tinnitus this days? Does it keep giving you the feeling that is improving? I hope so.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Emma33

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trauma
      Hello El Buzz, Yes! It has slowly continued to improve. It got worse for a few months, but not as bad as the other times, and now it has dropped back and doesn’t really bother me at all, which is AMAZING. I am grateful for it every day. I hope you are also doing well.

• Hug Hug x 2
    11. Shera
      Bookworm

Shera Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/9/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      head trama caused TMJ/neck problems/ETD
      When I'm gloomy I think my T hasn't healed. However, I don't get as many wild spikes. Also, it has gone done in volume just enough that it not loud in the shower anymore.

Mine was a neck and jaw injury. Like @Kelvin I've noticed if my neck and jaw are ticked, or other muscles pulling on those muscles it's worse. I do a lot of things to help it. And I've taken up yoga again and can notice that it's "calmer" when I do it. Food is also a big thing, I've noticed sugar. I had a huge increase in volume and finally realized it was sugar!

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1