I'm Going Crazy :-(

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Mary2016, Nov 27, 2016.

1. Mary2016

Mary2016 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Have been getting panic attacks on and off ever since this hissing sound suddenly started in my head about a week ago. The panic attacks start when I try to sleep at night, when the sound is at its loudest.

So relieved I found this support forum today. Am comforted that I am not alone. Will try and see the GP when the work week starts.

My dad had T and Meniere's disease, so I'm feeling very scared that my sudden T may also lead to Meniere's disease.

2. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Danny Boy Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      This page should help you, worth a read.

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...dexamethasone-others-oral-and-injections.348/

Also, tinnitus isn't really down to genetics, so I highly doubt you'd get Meniere's. Hope this helps and good luck!

• Like Like x 3
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mary2016

Mary2016 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thanks, @Danny Boy. Been doing a lot of reading since the T started. This is all so new and distressing to me. Guess it doesn't help that my sleep is also affected. Hopefully my planned visit to the GP (and ENT?) will result in diagnosis and treatment.

• Like Like x 1
    4. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Danny Boy Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      I'd get the treatment as soon as possible...Seriously, it could lower it.

• Like Like x 1
    5. MikeL1972

MikeL1972 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Uknown
      Hi Mary,

Welcome aboard!

Everyone experiences panic attacks at the outset of tinnitus. Then as the weeks and months roll by, your brain gradually adjusts to it and ultimately dismisses it as "not important", thereby not impacting your nervous system. Best of luck.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mary2016

Mary2016 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thanks for the words of comfort and encouragement, @MikeL1972. I started taking B complex few days ago, and added on Gingko, Zinc and St John's Wort after reading posts here yesterday. Also took 50 mg Voltaren (NSAID) twice in the last 2 days. The hissing seems to be slightly quieter today, though that could be my imagination.

Going to see the GP later today.

7. gary
      Transparent

gary Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who Knows
      Hi Mary, sounds like plan. To help me sleep I run two fans year around in my bedroom, Then I just concentrate on the fan noise and eventually fall asleep. As for the panic attacks, they will go away as you find out more about tinnitus. Fear is you're greatest enemy, it will make the tinnitus worse. See if you're DR can give you something to settle you down.

Remember we all really do know what you are going through:huganimation:

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mary2016

Mary2016 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thanks, @gary. Much comforted. Hugs back.

Saw the GP today, no infection noted from physical ear exam. Some nasal congestion noted, which could be caused by excessive dust in the air. There is family history of sinus infections, so that is a red flag; according to the GP, sinus sufferers are prone to T.

Will be starting on antihistamine for the nasal congestion and to continue with the B complex and other supplements. If the T is still present or worsening in 2 weeks, to see the GP again for the next course of action.

• Like Like x 1
    9. Richard zurowski

Richard zurowski Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      27/12/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection.
      @Mary2016 . Hi sinus does cause tinnitus and a nasal decongestant should clear it up. But if you have had a history of sinus related problems then the alternative method is to have your sinus cavities drained under a local anaesthetic.

• Helpful Helpful x 3
    10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mary2016

Mary2016 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thanks for the advice, @Richard zurowski. My sinus congestion is occasional, and clears up after a day or two of antihistamines. I will pass on your advice to friends and family members with serious sinus problems. Thinking back, my dad's sinus problem was chronic but unfortunately, may not have been properly managed. He developed T and Meniere's disease in his 50s, started losing his hearing in his late 50s to 60s and now in his late 70s, is profoundly deaf.

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mary2016

Mary2016 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      So I finally went to the ENT doctor today. Had my hearing tested. Most likely I'm suffering from TMJ :-o Was prescribed 75 mg Lyrica for 7 days. Hopefully that helps. My T has been happily hissing and buzzing for the past 3+ weeks.

• Like Like x 1