I'm New Here. My Name Is Sheron.

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Sheron, Jun 27, 2017.

1. Sheron
      Loved

Sheron Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Hi everyone, I'm new here as have only had really loud tinnitus for about 6 weeks. I find it very debilitating. I have an appointment to have hearing aids fitted which I've heard helps with tinnitus. I have read so many conflicting stories about T. Some people say it fades over time and others that they've had it for years with no change. I want to believe that it will improve over time as it really depresses me.

I just had a crying bout which isn't really me but I find I'm not in any way enjoying life at the moment.

I just watched a video about a treatment which sounds great but wonder if anyone else has heard of it or tried it?

It's called 'Acoustic CR Neuro-Modulation. Please let me know if you have. I'd be so interested to hear from you. Please email me your answers at: scnz@aol.com, as I'm not very good at finding my way around these forums.

Look forward to any replies I might receive.

2. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Welcome to the forum. Don't panic and despair. Your emotional reaction is quite normal for new T members. They often suffer quite a trauma with it, causing high stress and anxiety which unfortunately can fuel T to be more intrusive. Crying over T is quite normal and can actually soothe the over-stressed nerves. I know of a forum moderator in another forum who said he cried on and off over his T for 2 years. But he is habituated to T now. I had suffered badly when T was new. But I am living a happy, normal and enjoyable life now. So don't worry too much.

ACRN has often been discussed here. You can search this on TT and will see many discussions in the past. There are also free sites you can test out without paying hefty fees for it. Try these below and see if they help. Take good care. God bless.

http://www.generalfuzz.net/acrn/
      https://mynoise.net/NoiseMachines/neuromodulationTonesGenerator.php
      http://www.tinnitus.org.uk/acoustic-cr-neuromodulation

• Like Like x 1
    3. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      @Sheron - have you diagnosed your T? There may be a root cause that is treatable.
      Hearing aids will potentially help you if you have hearing loss, but do you?
      What have you done so far to figure out what's wrong with you?

4. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I think she plans to use hearing aids to mask her T.
      Check out the studies on both pages of
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/spontaneous-recovery-stats-over-70-recover-3-studies.21441/

Nice avatar, by the way!

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sheron
      Loved

Sheron Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Thank you for all your helpful replies. I have had a hearing test and have definitely lost some hearing, hence the hearing aids. I visited Southend Hospital tinnitus clinic. Apart from the hearing test they showed me a chart of the inner ear and explained tinnitus to me. I didn't find the chart and explanation very helpful as I'd read so much about it on the net. No offer of any therapies though. Does habituation come naturally over a period of time or do you have to work at it?

6. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      I don't think habituation is a given: it varies depending on the severity of the Tinnitus and its "host". It's certainly a goal for many of us.
      There are therapies you can undergo to try to help with your symptoms and, in a correlated way, speed up your way to habituation. Nothing works 100% though, but some things do work for some people, so it's a bit of trial and error.
      I favor therapies that have at least some serious medical study I can peruse, even if the success rate of the therapy is far from perfect.
      If you have tonal T without too much hearing loss, a simple and fairly affordable path to try is sound therapy.

• Like Like x 1
    7. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Chances are that even if your T doesn't go away, it will get quieter and the pitch will also change to something less piercing. So the sound you will end up with (in the worst case scenario where you do not spontaneously recover) in the long run will probably be different from the sound you are dealing with now.

If your T is quiet enough, habituation comes naturally.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sheron
      Loved

Sheron Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Thank you all for taking the time to reply to my queries. Yesterday for me was a good day as I was looking after my little Granddaughter and concentrating on her. Today not so good. Have to have tooth out later so trying not to dwell on that. Thank you again.