I'm New to the Group

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Mikejr, Jan 6, 2018.

1. Mikejr

Mikejr Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      former musician - loud music
      Hello... the name is Mike, and I'm from Orange County, CA.

I was a rock musician in my (teens/20s) for about 20 years (1960s-80s), and have always had a bit of Tinnitus, but recently it has gotten worse the past year. I am now in my late 60s.

It used to be in the "background" of my conscious, but this past year, it's moved to the foreground where I can hear it all the time in my left ear. Also, but right ear has developed some pressure and a rumbling sound.
      When I tilt my head to the right, the ringing gets louder.

It has gotten so bad, it is sometimes hard to sleep!!

I have recently been to an ENT, but NO HELP!! He explained the nerve endings not receiving blood flow causing the ringing. He suggested NIACIN (flushing type) to push blood flow, Lipo Flavanoids, but other than that, had no solution!!

I am hoping to find suggestions... and hope with this group as I deal with this very frustrating issue.

I look forward to hearing from you...

Mike from OC

2. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      Hi Mike,

unfortunately there are no remedies against tinnitus. Some will resort to meds for it, others will just use mindfulness and exercise/distraction to have their minds not think about the tinnitus. Some will use white noise/pink noise and background noises to help them out.

My tinnitus is full blown and very loud and I just try to distract myself from not paying attention to it.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mikejr

Mikejr Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      former musician - loud music
      Thanks for the reply Fishbone... I can fully empathize with your issue.

I would like to believe... and hope and pray, that somewhere... there is, maybe not a cure, but a way to reduce the loudness. My ENT just shrugged and said... bye!! not very encouraging!

take care

• Like Like x 1
    4. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      I been researching this ordeal since 88 and have taken many different supplements/remedies that were suppose to help. None helped and just accepting it and trying to live a quality life is how I approach it.

5. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      have you had an audiogram ? would you share the results here?

do you have a audio you could trial some in ear maskers?

have you tried cbt mindfulness? i found it really useful, especially in helping me manage my anxiety.

i often listen to youtube tracks when i feel too anxious (for other reasons) to sleep or relax.

i have two free meditation apps on my phone that i find useful.

Buddhify and headspace.

maybe consider some melatonin sr? valerian and passionflower?

we have people in our community who have managed to re habituate. Michael Leigh has used trt to help with his t and h. i think he also uses in ear maskers and clonazepam when need be.