I'm on Prednisone... For One Week. Tinnitus Suddenly Very Low! Scared It Comes Back.

Discussion in 'Support' started by RicoS, May 26, 2015.

tinnitus forum
    1. RicoS
      Confused

RicoS Member Benefactor

Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress or Acoustic trauma
      Ok I did not want to post this but today I took my last pill of prednison and I get anxious my T is coming back.

Last week my doctor prescribed me Prednison and Amoxicilline because of a cold/flew I have for 4 months now and it did not went away. Last week my hearing was suddenly 50% gone so I was very scared and went to the doctor and he prescribed me these 2 meds.

I have T voor almost 2 years now, but I knew Prednison could work on your T.
      When I was at the doctor my T was screaming in his silent office. On a scale of 10 it was a 6 or 7 , I could even hear it outside.

After the first day I took prednisone...my T reduced to a 3 ..... the second day my T reduced to a 2 and now it is a 1..... but i'm out of prednisone. Tomorrow I have to go back for a checkup , but i'm 10000% sure that prednisone did something to my ears. The full fealing I had is gone and the pain I sometimes have when I'm in a silent room and my T is screaming is also gone.

When I sleep on a ear I always could hear my T very loud, but now it is very soft or I do not even hear it at all.

Has anybody else use prednisone and after that your T came back, because ...I enjoy the silent moment right now but I'm scared it will come back full force. After 2 years of that damn noise in my head...finaly some moments of almost silence....

I have taken 25mg of prednison for 6 days now so the dosage is not even that big, but my T changed almost the day after I started. When i stick my fingers in my ear I can cleary hear it, but it is like when i'm in a silent room my inner ear or something does not go in hypermode and make the T louder....it just stay the same.

I complained in other threads about the random zaps or beeps that I have in my right ear for a month now. Today that seems less also, so tomorrow I talk to my doctor if I can have 4 days extra or something but I know I'm not imagining things.....if my T can stay like this I would be very happy.

Besides this I massage my neck every day....this also helps to get the tention down and I only drink cocos-juice ( not cocosmilk)...and Vitamin B12.

If there is anybody who has a good results with prednison I like to hear it..... I hope my doctor will prescribe me for a view days more.... I know I cannot take this stuff forever but if this has so much positive effect on my T than it means that there is a way to cure it ...even after 2 years. With cure I mean....get the volume wayyyyyyyyyyyyy down.

2. Carlo
      Balanced

Carlo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2013
      After the onset I had a course of prednisone that reduced T around 30%. Since then it's constant or lowers when I take vitamin B complex or magnesium

3. Nucleo

Nucleo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2011
      @Kaelon Also experiences full resolution of his tinnitus when he takes prednisone. If I remember correctly it also comes back after discontinuing the treatment.

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. Ricky81
      Worried

Ricky81 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 14, 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Assault/Contusion/Ear Infection
      Yes prednisone is a steroid and it helped calm my T when I had cold,cough. But we can't keep taking prednisone all year round... then your body will get used to it and won't change your T.

Prednisone is a temporary comfort for your T, not long term solution or cure.

5. RicoS
      Confused

RicoS Member Benefactor

Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks for the answers.... than I know...I must enjoy these silent moments and be prepared that my T will be back again like it was :sorry:

6. Kara77

Kara77 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      @RicoS Prednisone takes mine away mine as well. It might mean that inflammation causes your T. Do you have TMJD or allergies? Since undergoing treatment for my TMJD my T has reduced, some days gone! But it's all about keeping the inflammation down.

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. shantelle

shantelle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      If your t is a one some days wouldn't that sorta be like you dont have t? I wonder this because i think everyone in a silent room has a bit of t but they just dont pay attention to it until it gets loud..its like thats what the air sounds like...but now ever since ive been bothered by my t my husband says he has been hearing his all the time now too....so at what point is it normal and we move on? I sure the heck know that if mine was a 1 or 2 i would move on and say its normal..well at least i would hope i would. Thoughts anyone?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    8. RicoS
      Confused

RicoS Member Benefactor

Cause of Tinnitus:
      Well I guess it is both inflammation and TMJD, because when I massage my neck and behind my ears...the electric beeps are becoming way less in my right ear. My normal T greatly reduced after Prednisone. Also I have a cold/flew/virus that last for 4 months so this could also be an inflammation. Tommorow mornig I will go see my doctor and discuss it...

This whole thing got my attention more when 4 weeks ago my T increased a bit and my left ear was starting to hurt a lot. But for more than a year my neck was very tense. I could not even turn my head to the left far enough and when I put my neck to the back (like watching to the sky) my neck started to hurt. So I knew there was something wrong there also.
      Suddenly I could hear my heartbeat in my ears with a 13khz tone or something...it was very high...at that moment I knew it has to be in my nerves so we started to massage my neck every day and at the moment this has gone and I feel that my neck feels much better.

In my ears everything feels like it should now. No fullness no pain and my T at a level 1 or sometimes 2 but easy to ignore. The electric zaps, beeps, crickets (everybody calls it different) I still have in my right ear, but sometimes it is gone and when it comes up I massage behind my right ear and it becomes less.

Although when I stick my fingers in my ear the sound of my T is almost the same as ever, so like I said I think that my inner ear or middle ear had/has an inflammation and when I go in a quit room it goes in hyperdrive to make my T louder. I'm no doctor but after all this time I got very aware of myself and know what works and what not.

Prednisone....worked very well and I also had to take Amoxicilline. Perhaps my regular doctor sends me to an ENT and I think I will ask for that so the TMJD can be checked out....and if not I go to my dentis for that.

I had a lot of problems with stress , anxiety and a depression, so my immunesystem was very low anyway. If my T stayed at this level .....i can easly live with it. If my old T comes back....it's 24/7 on my mind again because of the volume is just a little to loud to ignore all the time.

So I hope for the best and lets see what my doctor will say .... thanks anyway...and I will tell him about the possible inflammation!!

9. shantelle

shantelle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      Also as for the prednisone i just ended a 10 day 50 mg. And i must say it helped...brought me down from a 6-7 to a 3-4. Some days even maybe a 2..not too many of those but hopefully more. If i can control the anxiety i do better.
      Mine was caused by noise induced but a year before that my 4 year old stuck a stick in my ear...he thought he was tickling me..well that hurt like hell and i screamed....about 3-4 weeks later i had blood and pussy fluid until it healed..than a year later the noise induced...that ear that my son hurt seems to be giving me the most grief...im wondering if something else got damaged..like the tube or whatnot. Ive decided to try Nasonex to see if that helps. Shot in the dark. I think that damaged ear may a have a bit of hearing loss beacuse of the stick....darn kids lol they are the best. Sorry long post.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    10. RicoS
      Confused

RicoS Member Benefactor

Cause of Tinnitus:
      No my T is not gone... when I stick my fingers in my ear it is not that I'm one of the person who can say I have to search for it... it is instantly there big time. But the way my T is now is more better than what it was....except for the beeps/zaps/crickets sounds in my right ear.
      Normaly when I lay down in the garden at home and there is no wind ...my T is easy to hear and I cannot ignore it.
      But at the moment when I lay in the garden and there is no wind I can hardly hear it. Of course there are more sounds I do not pay attention to, but that is enough to block out T.
      When I'm in a complete silent room I still hear my T right away but that again...it would be easy to live with.

But yes if it is a 1 at some point of the day it feels like you do not have T at all.. And I realy enjoyed does moment this passed days. When it happend I told everybody that was near me at the moment that I realy did not knew how beautiful silence is. But if this is only temporary because of the prednisone.... I must be prepared to go back to the old level again...which until this day I struggle with. (I must be honest with that).

If prednisone can lower the volume than for me it is a sign it can be cured or get the level to something more accaptable. I will always have T but like you said if it is a one or a two you can easly move on. So I hope it stays like this and the zaps/beeps or what ever we call it will get less also....

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    11. RicoS
      Confused

RicoS Member Benefactor

Cause of Tinnitus:
      I take Nasonex everymorning but over here it is called Mometasonfuroaat Sandoz 50microgram it helps me to keep my eustachian tube clear.
      Also what you say is right about T regarding to your partner. My girlfriend also said that lately she could hers scream in a silent room because I struggle so much with it. But she quickly think of something else. She is very supportive with me but I don't want to infect here to much with my complaining (which I sometimes do to much).
      Before june 2013 I never knew what T was...my hearing was perfect, my health was great at that point ...I thought the most bad things had happend to me already...so I could not believe what happend when I got T.

I have a you kind too of 2.5 years so I will not give him a stick or what so ever until he is 28 :LOL:

12. Kara77

Kara77 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      @RicoS I would definitely see a dentist (I go to a jaw surgeon) about possible TMJD. I notice when I take my muscle relaxers (for my TMJD spams) my T gets realllly quiet. Being anxious only makes it worse for me too! Also, try and eat soft foods... it might help you too. My jaw surgeon has intermittent T from his TMJD also so I feel he really understands what I am going through.

I think your T can be greatly reduced if prednisone worked for you.. I also have stuffy ears and nose. When I take steroids, the stuffiness is all gone!! I think it's my allergies too (I am undergoing immunotherapy)... but my allergies get worse when the TMJD acts up. Also, do you feel pressure on your face? Soak up the silence!!!! :)

If your T comes back, it comes back. But realize there are ways to reduce it!!!

• Agree Agree x 1
    13. shantelle

shantelle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      Ya for some reason i feel like ive always had t..but the one noise induced spike that made me always aware of it now. I read somewhere that putting people in a silent room and 94% of them heard some type of ring. Its just that we are aware now and its all we hear. I think that if that next day after that club that if my ears were only ringing a 3-4 that maybe i wouldn't of noticed a difference. ..whi knows...i just wish my brain would stop listening for it. Im starting that am 101 trail soon. The lady i talked to said its sorta simular to prednisone..except that its administered directly to the ear opposed to the whole body. I really hope i dont get placebo.

14. RicoS
      Confused

RicoS Member Benefactor

Cause of Tinnitus:
      My dentist is the best dentist I know so I will see him for sure. First tomorrow the doctor visit and than I call my dentist to make an appointment. If I do nothing, nothing will happen ....so I have to take matters in my own hands.

What kind of musclerelaxer do you have btw?

15. Kara77

Kara77 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      It's called flexeril and I take it at night before I go to bed.

16. RicoS
      Confused

RicoS Member Benefactor

Cause of Tinnitus:
      How can you join the AM101 trial? I new of trobalt, but not of this one....

17. RicoS
      Confused

RicoS Member Benefactor

Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thank you ... I keep it in mind.

At the moment my T is very silent now.........just wishing it would stay this way.... so as long as it is like this....I will listen to the silence as long as possible. It feels so peacefull....i missed this for 2 years straight. :cry:

18. Kara77

Kara77 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      @RicoS I certainly know that feeling! :) I sincerely hope your dentist can help you!!

19. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Director Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame Team Trobalt Team Tech Team Awareness Team Research

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    20. RicoS
      Confused

RicoS Member Benefactor

Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks I'm going to check it out.... I know it is not only the prednison and also the tention in my neck, but my normal T is so much less now I just cannot believe it.... now I do not even know if my T is mild or not because the contrast between silence and hearing eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee is enormous. Perhaps I never should experience this silence if my T comes back because it's like giving a child candy and presents and than after a minute taking it away again..... I just wish for the best and see what I can do myself, but it is realy weird prednisone does have so much effect on my T
      ..Thank you again for your reply!!

21. RicoS
      Confused

RicoS Member Benefactor

Cause of Tinnitus:
      I sure hope it also.... I teached MMA (Mixed Martial Arts) in the evening and I realy take care of myself not to be punched in the face or to have to much pressure around my face and ears when I spar with somebody. You just do not want to make matters worse, but you also want to live a little and do what you like.

22. shantelle

shantelle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      I looked up trials in my area..im willing to try anything at this point and at least i can say i tried something. The results are promising. Next i will try trobalt if this doesn't help.

23. shantelle

shantelle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      Most people ive talked to said that after prednisone that the t stayed lower in volume. Hmmm strange. I do notice when im dehydrated or ive had extra coffee that day..or stress/tired that my t seems worse.

24. RicoS
      Confused

RicoS Member Benefactor

Cause of Tinnitus:
      Today I did not take prednisone and my T is almost back like it was..... it was to good to be true.
      I will go to an ENT next week because there seems to be an inflammation on the right of my jaw which causes the weird beeps/zaps, but my regular T is back.

Pfff mentaly I'm not as strong as I look...that's for sure.

• Hug Hug x 1
    25. undecided
      Fine

undecided Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown.
      Visit a country of the beautiful European south where corticosteroids and pretty much any drug (well except opioids and benzos) is freely available at any pharmacy, dirt cheap.
      Start stocking on prednisone and use it as needed, to get relief whenever you want it.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    26. Kaelon
      Wishful

Kaelon Member Benefactor Team Tech Team Awareness Team Research

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Muscle Spasms
      @Nucleo is correct: Prednisone completely resolves my Tinnitus, usually within 36 hours of starting a standard 50 mg. taper regimen. However, by the end of the regimen (usually days 4-6), the Tinnitus returns. It's proof positive, however, that neuromuscular inflammation is the cause of my particular tinnitus and cervical inflammation of the spine combined with TMJ-related disorders are the likely physical aggravating factors in my case. If prednisone provides you with significant relief, you may have neuromuscular inflammation and it's good news: it means your tinnitus is treatable. Tinnitus is chronic, though, when it traces its etiology to neuromuscular inflammation and so there's no quick fix -- treatments are usually long-term physical therapies designed to address the underlying physical disorders causing the inflammation. Even so, it's a good sign that you can find relief.

Another tell-tale sign that usually goes hand-in-hand with prednisone helping out: a waxing-and-waning effect. So called "extremely good, almost silent" days and "terrible, louder-than-ever" days that don't seen to have any rhyme or reason associated with them. Once you discover the underlying disorder, behaviors once thought unrelated to your tinnitus start becoming much more apparent.

Wishing you silence soon!

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    27. Joao Rio
      Amazed

Joao Rio Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      May, 25th 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ Inflamation??

@Kaelon
      could you develop this subject a bit further? I too believe my T is from some sort of inflammation and I also respond to anti-inflammatory meds. But I am lost as to how to go about planning and executing physical therapy. My ENT has told me to live with my T and I don't think I can get much more help than that from him or other MDs.

Thanks

28. RicoS
      Confused

RicoS Member Benefactor

Cause of Tinnitus:
      I am on 10 mg until tomorrow. Yesterday was extremely bad...had multiple panickattacks...today seems a lot better. So you are right. Prednisone can also give me a bad period. But still it has made it less in the beginning for almost 85 percent. Perhaps the shock that it came back caused the panick attacks.

29. shantelle

shantelle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      Prednisone has some nasty side effects...im starting to taper down now..some days im anxious and mood swings. I just hope when im done my prednisone that the t doesnt increase in volume because it seemed to help me alot. Im scared for the dose to end. Some people say it stays lower and some people say it gets louder after. Mine was noise induced.

30. geg1992
      English

geg1992 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure + Antibiotics
      Prednisone made my T permanently quieter.