I'm So Tired of Living with This Noise Sensitivity

Discussion in 'Support' started by Alue, Apr 26, 2019.

1. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I'm so fed up with tinnitus/hyperacusis and being bothered by everyday noises that don't bother other people.

I just spent all day outside with semi trucks driving by (warehouse across the street) and near an airport with low flying aircraft every once in a while, and my ears are just done. I was going to meet with someone in the lobby area of a hotel, but they were doing construction inside using grinding tools so it was even louder inside. We decided to sit outside on the benches which was quiet at first, but after about an hour there was just this near constant semi trucks driving by and an occasional low flying aircraft overhead (some military aircraft too that almost sounded like a sonic boom). I had filtered (not the highest NRR) earplugs in most of the time.

The person I was with tried to accommodate, but anywhere I go I'm bombarded with loud noises. I just don't feel like I can live in modern society with this. I like my job, but it puts me in a lot of unfamiliar locations where I don't know what the noise level is going to be. I was already having a tinnitus spike this week, now I wonder what the next few days are going to be like. I've tried and made a lot of progress in the 3+ years that I've had this, but I just don't know how to live my life when loud noises are so ubiquitous and unavoidable. I feel like giving up.

Sorry if this is just another rant, but this is the only place I know of where I can get it off my chest where people understand.

Does anyone else's ears just feel tired at the end of the day after noise exposure, even if there isn't hyperacusis pain?

• Hug Hug x 14
      • Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    2. emmalee
      No Mood

emmalee Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ?
      No apology needed, @Alue. :huganimation:We all come here for the support and understanding, where else can we go? This forum is a soft spot for us all.

Yes, my ears always feel tired at this time of the day. The best part of the day, for me, is when I wake up. My ears are always quietest in the early morning hours. They haven't been subjected to noise all night, so this is probably why.

• Like Like x 1
    3. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      syringing and now somatic T dental work
      @Alue I understand and your not ranting. There's a world of difference with coping when there's concern of bothersome noise and it's not any less with high pitched tinnitus.

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. Digital Doc

Digital Doc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      Know that "tired ears" feeling all too well, and look forward to my "acoustic rest," which is putting my earplugs in and going to sleep.

I have and use the musician earplugs, and mine are -18 db's NRR. I also use the foam earplugs NRR 32-33.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075D7DYVL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

After a while, I figured out I needed something in between, and those silicone 3M EARsoft do the trick as they are more protective than the musician earplugs, but can still hear conversation better than foam plugs. I cut the cord off and shortened the stems, so you may consider trying them for unfamiliar situations for a little better protection.

5. vttbx

vttbx Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2001
      After a bad noise exposure about one year ago, my hyperacusis became worse than my tinnitus. I'm now back to my pre-spike condition: mild tinnitus and no hyperacusis. I believe CBD was one of the supplements that helped my hyperacusis the most.

• Informative Informative x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    6. Daniel Lion
      Ape-like

Daniel Lion Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise trauma, hearing loss
      Hi Alue,

I completely relate to everything you said. I feel the same, it's a grind on one's mental and physical health. You are not alone.

• Agree Agree x 3
    7. just1morething
      Benevolent

just1morething Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      It started
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad luck
      I agree completely.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I think the sleep helps as well. Sometimes I get this too, quieter in the morning, louder at night.

Only thing is sometimes after a lot of noise exposure it will be louder the next few+ days. I'm back to hoping it won't be; I've been here many times before.

Part of my problem with earplugs is I have very large ear canals, so most earplugs don't really give me all that much protection. That, and when I'm wearing good earplugs my voice sounds so much louder to me (occlusion effect) so I either end up speaking so softly people have a hard time hearing me in moderate noise or I raise my voice while wearing earplugs and I think that irritates my ears as well.

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      It just takes so much out of you. The noise itself wears me out.

• Agree Agree x 6
    10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      How loud is a semi truck driving by anyway? Most of them were probably a good 40-50 feet away. One or two passing by is annoying but fine, but when you are hearing them for 5+ hours that takes it's toll.

11. Julien87
      Happy

Julien87 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure (concert)
      Hi Alue, I can relate.
      I am also tired of being afraid of all loud noises and of trying to avoid these situations, that makes my daily life much more complicated and worrisome than it should be.

I do not know if what my ears experience causes tireness, but I believe stress and anxiety definitely play a role in this.

• Agree Agree x 1
    12. maestromusica
      Batty

maestromusica Member

Tinnitus Since:
      22/10/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Club
      For me, some (even very quiet) noises can cause ear fatigue if I listen to them long enough. Like so-called "coil whine". It's barely audible but for me it causes great discomfort - I admit that in my case there likely is some psychological element - coil whine sounds a lot like my tinnitus used to sound when it was at its worst.

How long did you have H?

13. Juan

Juan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      That's just hyperacusis in an uncontrolled environment. Being exposed to military aircrafts, even with sound protection is a no-no. Take into account that when a fighter plane takes off, if you are inside a car, you will feel the car trembling, that's the noise level!

14. TheDanishGirl
      Sad

TheDanishGirl Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017 (H since 06/2017)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      long term noise exposure (headphones), maybe some stress.
      I'm sorry to hear you are struggling so much. I feel ya :( I also get the "tired" feeling. I have a hard time describing the exact feeling, but if I have been subjected to much noise (not loud) over the day my ears also feel a little bit sore by the end of the day. They feel more sensitive and I also get a little bit of fullness.

I wish modern society weren't so loud...

I remember a member on here writing something about how severe tinnitus/hyperacusis sufferers should all live in a village together, far from civilisation and the modern loud world, and I actually seriously think that's a pretty good idea. I don't feel I belong in the modern world anymore either... but who knows... maybe we would all drown each other in misery, but I like the thought of living around people who would totally understand my situation and where you didn't have to be on edge of loud noises. I really don't know how it could be made possible though... But I wish it were.

• Agree Agree x 4
    15. PeteJ
      Depressed

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      How many people have it quietest in the morning?

Maybe the researchers should investigate this? It seems to be a pattern for a lot of people considering we are all unique with subjective experiences?

• Like Like x 1
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    16. Digital Doc

Digital Doc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      @PeteJ Definitely quietest in the morning for me.

@Alue Semi trucks are 90-100 db's, so pretty damn loud. I can't walk alongside a busy road without my earplugs, so sitting there for hours must have taken a toll.

17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Since my original acoustic trauma that caused T/H 3+ years ago. H started immediately after that.

Come to think of it, when my tinnitus first started it was loud and intrusive all the time, not quiet in the mornings then louder in the evening. When I started improving (can't say tinnitus really improved) I started seeing this cycle more.

So at 40-60 feet that's what like 70-80db? At what distance is it 100db? I had a decibel meter on me, but it's not like I could just whip it out while meeting with someone. I hope it wasn't enough to cause me long term consequences. It was an unfortunate situation, we both sat outside thinking it would be quieter, but it wasn't, there was no place I could think of that would be a good nearby venue for a quiet meeting.

18. PeteJ
      Depressed

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      I am tired of living in a loud area, too. Like you can't escape it and you are constantly in fear of the next random loud noise to appear.

I don't know whether people you meet would agree to meet in a library or a lobby of a different hotel? You could scope out another location nearby and assess if there is any noise there?

I don't know if that would work for you but I guess that idea doesn't help you now.

19. Strife_84
      Energetic

Strife_84 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Mixing music for long hours and too loud I guess.
      Yes. My ears usually feel flat and lifeless, somehow dull at the end of the day. Sometimes I even have some pain.

I honestly could live with my T. But the sensitivity to certain frequencies and sounds make it much much worse.
      Luckily my H Has gone bit better, but still I can't do all the things I would like to do.

Hang in there.

20. TheDanishGirl
      Sad

TheDanishGirl Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017 (H since 06/2017)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      long term noise exposure (headphones), maybe some stress.
      In the first many months mine was very quiet in the morning, and loudest in the evening.

Then after over 6 months of that it changed to being loudest in the morning and a bit better during the day.

Now almost 2 years after onset it swings between the two. Sometimes it is most quiet in the morning, but VERY rarely as quiet as in the beginning of tinnitus. Sometimes it is louder in the morning.

There really is no pattern for me. It is totally random... but that's tinnitus.

I do miss my guaranteed very quiet mornings. In that regard my condition has worsened.

21. emmalee
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ?
      This has happened to me, too @Alue. Yet a different twist...yesterday I was in all day, the house was quiet, soft music on the radio, no company and I was able to get to bed early and even slept pretty well. I woke up with a much louder pitch, believe it or not.....(n)

Tinnitus confuses me to no end.:dunno:

22. PeteJ
      Depressed

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      I am sorry to learn of that.

I had a theory that we all 'calm down at night' meaning our bodies and brains prepare for sleep.
      Our heart rate etc. slows down during sleep so I thought many with louder t might wake up to lower t.

23. PeteJ
      Depressed

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      How well is your house insulated from sound? Is it possible that a loud vehicle drove by or?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    24. emmalee
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ?
      Very well, actually. The roof is new with extra insulation and the windows are a good quality. It hasn't been warm enough to even have the windows open. I also live on a quiet circle where the traffic is almost non existent. It is a brick house, also.

My tinnitus is not the result of noise trauma, it is due to hearing loss combined with a year of many head colds and resulting ear infections. I do know for a fact that stress can bump my noise up quite a bit, but I haven't had a noise induced spike ever.

It is just the complexity of tinnitus, I think.

25. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I've had that happen. I remember waking up to an extremely loud pitch one time (like fleeting tinnitus but it didn't go away), I somehow went back to sleep and it was back to the normal range when I woke up again.

26. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      It's not a typical meeting place, but a lot of my work is atypical. I should have suggested a different place to continue our discussion, but I couldn't think of any in the area.

27. emmalee
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ?
      Therein lies life with tinnitus, we never know what to expect on any given day. This is why taking it one day at a time is my approach. Fortunately, for me, I am able to cope in a way that I can live my life. I have accepted that this is my new normal, even though it is not something I ever would have imagined happening to me.

I do hope you never give up, @Alue. This is a tall order, tinnitus can take such a toll on our lives.:huganimation:

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    28. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      My T is absolutely consistent day after day: I know what to expect every day. Tomorrow will be just like today. It is both a blessing (not much fear of it increasing) or a curse (not much hope of getting better).

• Agree Agree x 1
    29. emmalee
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ?
      My biggest fear, the one that haunts me mostly when I am laying in bed trying to fall asleep, is that my tinnitus will become more extreme.

• Hug Hug x 1
    30. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      You've had T for about 400 days. Out of those 400 days, how many days would you say the following sentence would apply: "My tinnitus has become more extreme since yesterday".