In-Ears to Listen to Music? Safe?

Discussion in 'Support' started by sandra72, Aug 18, 2016.

1. sandra72

sandra72 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      may 2014
      Just a question. Over a couple of weeks I am going on a holiday with a bus to Spain. It is a 18 hour drive.

During the drive I want to see movies on my phone and listen to music. Is it safe to use in ear buds or is it better to use headphones?

2. uae96
      Thinking

uae96 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/14/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      noise cancelling bose headphones are the best for such travels , trust me

3. gotyoubynuts

gotyoubynuts Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
    4. racerfish
      No Mood

racerfish Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise / T worsened with antiobiotics
      Here's the thing I don't like about using headphones on airplanes (and this probably applies to cars to a lesser degree). On an airplane there is so much background noise that you have to crank up the volume to hear anything to the point that the volume levels could be unsafe. I always earplugs on airplanes so headphones are most appropriate for me and I know that even if the volume is turned up to full blast, the earplugs are reducing whatever is going into my ear by 29 decibels.

As for earbuds, this is what I do. I listen to my iPhone with my earbuds in and make sure I know which volume setting isn't too loud for my ears. Then, when I use my iPhone in noisy places like a plane or car, I know to NEVER EVER go past that threshold.

5. BobDigi
      Kick ass

BobDigi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Great advise. Planes make a lot of noise. Trying to counteract that would require quite a loud volume in headphones.

6. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Or noise cancelling headphones, as mentioned a few messages ago.

7. BobDigi
      Kick ass

BobDigi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Noise canceling and in ear buds create such a personal and close volume to an already damaged ear. In theory they are a good option but I personally think they cause more damage than open back headphones.
      That said I will be ignored as the majority think otherwise. And that's OK. It's only my opinion.

• Agree Agree x 1