In Loving Memory of David Craig Muller

Discussion in 'Support' started by dan, Sep 27, 2014.

1. Lisa88

Lisa88 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Stina, I think you misinterpreted my post. I am looking towards the future. Of course, t is complicated. Awareness of tinnitus is not on the level of cancer yet though. Many people have not heard of it. Even with all that is happening with the VA. Don't want Craig's passing to be in vain. Awareness raises funds raises research. For many of our cases here, once the t is treated, the depression it brings will be too.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    2. Stina
      Psychedelic

Stina Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      My point was that the scientists already know what it going us (suppose thats what you meant by researches) and awareness has to do with the public sphere- raising awareness is more the business of doctors and NGOs, not scientists. Patients themselves can raise awareness to, as for example with the ALS bucket challenge. I think researches are better off focusing on science.

3. Peter61

Peter61 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      Heartbreaking... Makes me feel scared and vulnerable. I can manage my T as it is right now, but what if it gets worse ? When do you reach your breaking point ? Obviously Craig reached his... I hope he has found peace and silence.

• Hug Hug x 1
    4. SteveToHeal
      Insomnious

SteveToHeal Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Although I did not know you - RIP Craig. May you find peace. This is such sad news and a wake up call to anyone who says T is not life -threatening. Absolutely heart breaking that the doctors would not let him try Potiga. It would have offered him some hope in that place of darkness. The doctors have failed him and his family.

• Agree Agree x 5
    5. Toddcrowther

Toddcrowther Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/1996
      If you're going to kill yourself, get morphine from your doctor, or why not even a bit of heroin off the street? You don't have to use enough to get high just take the edge off, but which is better, a bit of street heroin, or suicide? You know heroin is a powerful plant based drug, right? That makes it organic. It is abused and vilified, but look past that and think for yourself. Isn't it better than death?

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. If you knew Craig, you would understand he didnt want to be high as a kite. He wanted his life back, he wanted out of pain, he wanted the T sound to get better..wanted to try that drug that all docs refused..it was insane!..Craig was a Christian man, very faithful, even despite his suffering. ..he would thank God for his occasional better days...never seen Faith like it tbh...

but I understand your point.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    7. SteveToHeal
      Insomnious

SteveToHeal Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Yes but also very addictive, then u have heroin/morphine addiction to deal with on top of T. I don't feel this post about taking drugs compared to suicide is sensitive to the nature of this thread and the people concerned.

• Agree Agree x 2
    8. rtwombly
      Bookworm

rtwombly Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      If I have learned nothing else from the past eight months, it's a deep sympathy for those in Craig's situation. Hope is absolutely essential for sufferers of all kinds. Condolences to Craig's friends and family.

To anyone who feels that they are at the end of their patience in waiting for some solace, please continue to read these threads and participate in the discussions. Remember you are not alone!

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    9. Martin69
      Artistic

Martin69 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      (Health) Anxiety
      I didn't know Craig. But I feel all his pain. I am very sorry for him and his family.

If you live in the hope for habituation and then read that someone kills himself after two years, after trying each and everything available on the market, what does it tell me? I live with an electrostatic storm in my head for one year now. I really push myself into life. But I am deeply depressed, full of anxiety and a neverending scream in my head. People here try helping me as much as possible. But where is hope?

• Hug Hug x 3
    10. Lisa88

Lisa88 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Funds for more research too. But this is a conversation for another thread, Stina. I get your point too. Just need to be respectful of Craig and his family on this one. Message me if you want to talk further.

• Agree Agree x 1
    11. Stina
      Psychedelic

Stina Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      Lets just hope in the future there shall actually be treatments to avoid this type of situations. Clearly ADs and TRT don't help everyone. However I remain hopeful that a treatment will come.

• Agree Agree x 1
    12. Kathi
      Balanced

Kathi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/30/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      HFHL and stress
      There is hope Martin...I have that same electrostatic storm and I'm still here--still working toward habituation. We can do this...

I mean no disrespect to this thread, I could just feel Martin's pain and terror at hearing the news about Craig.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    13. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      It is a sad news indeed. My condolences to his family. Severe T is tough but there are newer treatments coming up which may offer hope to those who are hanging on. Patience and hope for the best is needed to battle with severe T. Too bad he chose to end it this way. Now the family will have to bear the grief and pain of losing him for the rest of their lives. I agree with Kathi that those members who are still struggling and have suicide ideations can be adversely affected by this tragic news. I hope this does not push them back into that mental black hole. I hope they are realistic that suicides by tinnitus are low among the millions who have intrusive tinnitus and that with proper treatments, with a change of attitude and given time, people do find some improvement from the suffering.

• Like Like x 1
    14. billie48
      Sunshine

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      I do agree that as much as we are saddened by this news and wish to express condolences to the family, this sad news in the support forum does not help the new members who are here in the Support Forum looking for hope and support. I hope this doesn't make their situation worst. I hope the admin of TT will find another part of the site where such news in the future can still be shared but not in the Support Forum. TT is such a popular site now for newer T sufferers to look for hope, comfort and answer to their immense struggle with T. Having such tragic news front and center in the Support Forum is not serving this purpose of the forum and a bit unfair to these new visitors who now can be more anxious and depressed about their prospect of surviving severe T. It makes our effort of trying to offer support and hope to these newer sufferers that much harder to get the message across.

• Agree Agree x 2
    15. Stina
      Psychedelic

Stina Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      @dan I hope you are getting the support you need in coping with this.

16. jss
      No Mood

jss Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise anxiety and antidepressants
      I hate to say this but out of respect for the members who are still desperately suffering and having occasional suicidal thoughts I do think its sometimes better not to post this kind of info. This can set some of us back and diminish hope quickly. This is not in disrespect, just my 2 cents.

• Agree Agree x 1
    17. Martin69
      Artistic

Martin69 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      (Health) Anxiety
      Yes Kathi. We do not give up.
      I need to remind me of things I learned here:
      - Habituation for severe cases can take years
      - Dr. Nagler was aware of his T 99% of his time. Now only 5 %.
      - Billie and others on the yuku board took long time, but made it.
      - Stoyan from the yuku board had anxiety of 9.5 for two years, then it diminished.
      - There are treatments like potassium channel openers coming soon
      - Habituation is a passive process

I leave out all the negative examples. I don't need them today anymore.
      Hugs.

• Winner Winner x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    18. kharaa
      Depressed

kharaa Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 3rd 2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Damage
      People aren't being forced to read this. The title is pretty clear that it's a memorial thread to another. What would be the objective difference from reading this thread, compared to reading the thread of someone like myself that has catastrophic tinnitus.

My own story is a dark and pending one. you can't just shuffle the people that aren't making it, or didn't make it under the rug. Craig deserves for everyone to know, and Dan deserves the support for losing a friend.

Just my two cents.

• Agree Agree x 8
      • Winner Winner x 2
    19. Kathi
      Balanced

Kathi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/30/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      HFHL and stress
      Add to the list that we are making this journey together with people who have walked in our shoes and want to help us. We are making progress.

Hugs to you. (((Martin)))

• Like Like x 1
    20. Ken219
      Frustrated

Ken219 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Summer of 1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure?
      People this is reality of Tinnitus. I've been close, but there for the grace of god and a good doctor I am here. My heart goes out to all families that lose a loved one.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    21. If not in support area of forum where else do we go in need of support?? Where should Dan of posted this thread? @billie48 I love your attitude and support but there are folks who dont habituate..that don't get better..where do they go? or should they not post?! Yea it sucks Craig was so bad off that he decided it better to take his life..but that is his story..and it's scary but it's truth!

I've been deeply affected by this, I reached out to Craig in another group when it seemed no one knew what to say to him..and I am new! we can't deny bad cases exist and those people need to feel safe to talk about it..I want support in coping with this..

• Agree Agree x 8
      • Hug Hug x 1
    22. @jss
      Reading things like this sure boosts anxiety, remember on my second month of T Reading about the Dutch women who got assisted suicide. I really freaked out and was put back to the middle ages of T. All the newbies reading this, this is not necessarily the reality. For Craig and his family it is, and very saddening to read about.

23. bwspot

bwspot Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/13/2014
      Very Sorry. RIP

24. Shauna
      Sad

Shauna Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2010
      Not only did Craig have tinnitus, but he had geniculate neuralgia. It was the latter that caused the deep stabbing pain in his left ear and then on into his brain. He went for three surgeries to have that second problem repaired, but each surgery was unsuccessful. Craig was a wonderful man. This is a great loss and tragedy.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Informative Informative x 2
    25. billie48
      Sunshine

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      I think it is up to admin of TT and it is not up to each of us. We can respectively have our own opinion on the delicate balance between freedom of expression and the risk of adversely affecting these newer or struggling members. Some of these members have posted their opinion about this news on them and you can tell they have been adversely set back in their T struggle. What about those who are just lurking in the support forum? How will they be affected? We had a debate on this already the last time when a suicide news was posted on the Support Forum. So it is up to TT to decide on what to do with these kinds of news. But if there are more of these news being posted on TT support forum, it will not be a place newer sufferers or struggling members will be fond of visiting for fear of being hit again by another tragic news which set them back and rob them of the confidence and hope about their uncertain future. By then what is the point of us trying to stay around to lift people's hope for the future?

Out of respect for the deceased and Dan's desire to pay tribute to him, I won't want to comment or debate more on this subject. I respect the admin of TT in their decision and I respect people can have different opinion about this. Let's just keep the spirit of condolences for the rest of the thread.

• Agree Agree x 1
    26. I was certainly not debating you @billie48 I am a newbie, in great fear, but I also was Craig's friend and fellow comrade in this struggle with T and ear pain and that is the reality. If TT wishes to hide this thread to protect newbies like myself, so be it. What if Craig had come here and posted? what would you of said over and over when he continued post over and over and cry and speak of suicide? go someplace else? ....T can drive some to suicide. ..sorry it's a reality! I'm in a setback and Craig's passing has set me further in..I know firsthand how detrimental talk of suicide is!! but I also know we need to talk about it...You are happy, habituated, great!! not everyone is....I am sorry to be heated, but this is not a subject on suicide this is a man who died because of T and imo undiagnosed neuralgia related to T. I realize where your heart lies, and I said I really respect your presence here at TT..but sometimes the otherside of the story needs to be told too.

Peace out!

• Agree Agree x 5
    27. In my beginning journey with hyperacusis and Tinnitus ( only a short 10 months ago) I was a nervous wreck! I didn't like your bluntness tbh and I think you know that..but
      now I see things differently and prefer full truths..and though with H, and T I guess..we don't really know everything, I still know that most improve. .but I also know some don't. .and I could be one of them and if I am I hope I can come to a place and still be supported.

Craig tried surgery, and personally saw and worked with Jastreboff..it didnt help him..nothing helped him...The big question is why?? and by sweeping it away, his story away, how will we ever come to know? Stories like his must be told so that perhaps one day the right person will figure out why and maybe many others will be spared the utter pain and agony he was not..

and for the newbies, once again he also had neuralgia, that at one point was told was caused by his reaction to his T! ( or depression) I am no doctor but I call a big fat bogus on that! sorry...imo of course...

• Agree Agree x 3
    28. Codaz

Codaz Member

@dan
      Sincere condolences. Horrible to read.

29. Codaz

Codaz Member

@dan What dosis of Carbamazepine did Craig use, did he mention hyperacusis as it is mentioned in the drug manual in the box. My dental surgeon adviced it to me as well. But I'm hesistant.

30. jfy

jfy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      december 24 2013
      im so sorry for your lost i also have a severe case of tinnitus it rings in my brain constantly i have hearing aids and every time they adjust my hearing aids the ringing gets better for about 2 days then the ringing changes i told my wife i will not commit suicide i cant i will keep looking for a solution

• Hug Hug x 2