In Need of Some Advice

Discussion in 'Support' started by Glassbrill, Sep 13, 2016.

1. Glassbrill

Glassbrill Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/11/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music
      Hello, I'm an 18 year old male who works at a bowling alley. Just recently we opened an attraction that plays very loud rock music and I was assigned to run the attraction for two days. The first day, when the music was played, I attempted to protect my ears by plugging them with my fingers.

On the second day I brought foam ear plugs and used them about 80% of the shift I worked.

Yesterday and today, I noticed a very high pitched ringing noise when I'm in a quiet setting. I know what tinnitus is and did a little research. I'm worried that this sound will never go away. I need some advice on my situation. I don't want to risk going to an unneeded doctor's appointment.

2. amymilly

amymilly Member

Tinnitus Since:
      20 May 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Perforated ear drum
      Go to the Drs. Get your ear checked out.
      I went to a concert 4 months ago. Woke up with the same thing. But I actually perforated my ear drum. Now I'm 4 months into this awful tinnitus journey. With constant noise changes.
      Hopefully yours settles down. X

3. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      I think you should quit and find another job ASAP. Then you should call OSHA if you live in the U.S. if the music is at an unsafe level. On their webpage they say workers have to be limited to 90dBA for an 8 hour day. Believe me, you don't want tinnitus long term. If you are there now, I would suggest some safe to use ear plugs and/or leave and quit asap. If you are curious and have a smartphone, put some safe earplugs in and download an app called a "sound meter". There are many out there so you would want to download one that is accurate as possible. I have never used one but I think some people have on here. Then measure the sound with it and record how loud it is.

https://www.osha.gov/SLTC/noisehearingconservation/

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Glassbrill

Glassbrill Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/11/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music
      I have no sign of hearing loss, but I do have a high pitched ringing noise only noticeable in quiet rooms. Does anyone think that it'll go away? The loud event happened three days ago.

5. Jomo

Jomo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/4/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      going for a rim shot on the snare drum.
      your too young for this bud....stay away from that job...not worth it...avoid anything loud especially headphones which i am sure you already knew...good luck

• Agree Agree x 1