Independence Day — Fourth of July — Fireworks, Tinnitus and Hearing Damage

Discussion in 'Support' started by Marias21, Jun 23, 2014.

1. Marias21
      Busy

Marias21 Member

Cause of Tinnitus:
      allergies
      I'm dreading this time.

I used to love going out and seeing fireworks last year with my family but this year they scare the living light out of me.

2 days ago my next door neighbor was setting off fireworks near my house and they were loud, really loud.

I thought at first someone was getting shot.

I decided to go spend 3 nights in a hotel in my city to get away. It is not cheap. It is $179 a night but I have to do this in order to protect my ears.

• Hug Hug x 3
    2. washashore
      Fine

washashore Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Wearing ear plugs to a 4th of July display should be plenty of protection, I would think.

3. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      Happy fourth to everyone! Anyone got plans for today? I'm having a party with no fireworks just sparklers and smoke bombs that don't go boom! Protect your ears, Safety first! --- I'm wondering how many people will be coming onto here in the upcoming days complaining about getting tinnitus from the 4th...

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    4. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      Hey Grace, happy Fourth! I am going to the beach, as usual, for the big celebration with friends (if I doesn't rain). I am taking ear plugs AND ear muffs, and staying a couple blocks away. But I still will be able to see the night sky light up.

Be safe, all, but have fun!

5. Bobbie7
      Wishful

Bobbie7 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Extreme stress, sinus infection
      Well... it's the 4th of July (Independence Day) here and already the fireworks had begun two previous nights. Tonight I will be sure to have my protection nearby to ward off all the unwanted loud booms and bangs. I won't be going out in the street, of course, but I do live on the ground floor so some of the M-40's create such a loud BOOOM that it can clearly be heard even in my apartment. Even the regular fireworks - which have been outlawed - are prevalent on this day and must be avoided at all costs. So many people are not aware of the consequences and misery which can result from the detonation of these right near them. Unfortunately, only later on do they realize the damage which has been done.

What always surprises me since I got tinnitus is the amount of people who work with sandblasters and jackhammers who wear no protective ear gear. I suppose no one really thinks much about tinnitus as they do about other maladies. I wish there were public service announcements warning of the myriad of harsh and dangerous sounds which can have a profound affect on peoples' lives. Then again, I suppose since there are numerous contributing factors which lead to tinnitus, even these announcements could not possibly cover all.
      I believe I got tinnitus from a sinus infection or rather, extreme stress at a certain point in my life. I do feel that when our emotions reach a point of sensory overload, this can greatly affect our ears as well as any other part of our body and wreak havoc.

I'll be sure to have my musician's earplugs and my Clear Armor Professional Ear Muffs handy for this evening.

Happy 4th of July to those who live in the United States!

• Like Like x 2
    6. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      It might be a good idea to be wearing earplugs tonight.

• Winner Winner x 1
    7. Rosemerry
      Energetic

Rosemerry Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      @Bobbie7 I know, it's crazy around here with the noise this time of year. I wore my earplugs when I went on a walk with my husband earlier this evening and also when we were hanging around on the deck. Because you never know who is going to set what off! We just watched the major fireworks celebration from my city's downtown on TV, but as I sit here there are loud booms going on outside. I guess some local fireworks. Happy 4th!!

8. Bobbie7
      Wishful

Bobbie7 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Extreme stress, sinus infection
      I am watching the Macy's fireworks show right now and it is spectacular!!! It is the best show ever and the entertainment is very enjoyable as well. I am sure glad we are safe and sound this evening as the fireworks here are continuing and probably will throughout the night. Definitely not a night for those with tinnitus. Happy 4th to you too!

• Like Like x 1
    9. BarbaraZ

BarbaraZ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      long time
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      age-related, virus Dec 2017
      Well, the local cherry bombs etc. have driven me indoors, earplugs, whimpering in the corner for the evening. About 5 hours more of intermittent explosions, with the peak about 4 hours from now.

I have something interesting, though. This came over my Flipboard today: https://www.flagstaffbusinessnews.com/hyperacusis-hearing-that-is-too-good-2/

I'm not sure why it's in that particular paper, but it seems like positive exposure.
      Barbara

10. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Yep, same here. So far it hasn't been as bad as last year. Ground fireworks around in the neighborhood are one thing, but last year I had a neighbor setting off illegal areal fireworks directly over my house. Those were LOUD.

The worst thing about the 4th isn't the night itself, but never knowing when fireworks are going to go off in the next few days.

11. ajc

ajc Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2002; spike 2009; worse 2017-18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music - noise damage
      Happy Fourth of July everyone!!! Keep your ears safe.

• Like Like x 1
    12. Jaysterk
      Blah

Jaysterk Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neomycin
      I am in a hotel as well for the same reason!!

13. Gerbit

Gerbit Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/20/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear Infection
      Well I’m sitting in my basement, all good here. Loudest one from inside was maybe 60-80 dB, so that’s not loud at all :)

14. Gerbit

Gerbit Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/20/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear Infection
      Is that 80 decibels max for a firework (I was sitting inside) anything I should worry about? I doubt it, as literally doing dishes can be louder than that.