Inner Ear Pain After Having My Ears Syringed to Remove Impacted Ear Wax

Discussion in 'Support' started by Maddie, Jul 3, 2017.

1. Maddie

Maddie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Military
      Right now I am at a loss-

3 days ago, I had impacted ear wax removed and then I couldn't really hear and I still can't, the inside of my ear hurts. They syringed the wax out and the water used felt like it was going INTO my ear drum with force and did hurt.

Today, I still can't hear fully out of that ear, the pain is intense, I am afraid to get it looked at for fear the doctor will injure me and I am just feeling miserable from it.

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Sorry to hear of the discomfort that you are going through. Before your ears were syringed, did you apply olive oil eardrops to each ear 3 x a day for 10 days before the procedure? This is necessary to fully loosen the impacted wax before syringing. Unless this was done it is the likely reason your ears are now hurting.

Try and see an ENT doctor.
      All the best
      Michael

3. sirjames
      Confused

sirjames Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Feb/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      tv probably
      Suggest you go back to them and make them know how bad the pain is. Don't let them brush you off. Imply that you will get a lawyer. These idiots belong in jail.

• Like Like x 2
    4. Dan RVA

Dan RVA Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not really sure
      Ouch. I feel so bad for you. I am sure that syringing was the start of the issues with my ears. Your post was in July, so I hope all turned out well for you.

5. Marc22
      Wtf

Marc22 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      exposure to broken muffler noise
      Hi Maddie:

Sorry to hear about your bad experience. That is really awful.

It shocked me even more because I have had my left ear cleaned out for excessive wax many times over the last 10 years. Of course, I could prevent some of this excess if I applied baby oil to the ear regularly as I was told, but I never did: there are just too many other things to do and to keep track of, so I don't bother. Once the buildup made my hyperacusis worse, but usually it does not. That left ear is pretty sensitive to any pressure, so when the doctor twists in there it hurts a bit, but the pain quickly goes away.My doctor mechanically gets the ear wax out ,not using a syringe which I suppose means spraying water. I don't know if one procedure is safer than the other.

I do hope you go back and see the doctor who treated you. You don't have to have him or her treat you, but you can at least talk to the person. This is really serious! Perhaps there is something other wrong with your ear that made you unusually sensitive to the procedure. Or maybe the person who treated you was incompetent.

Good luck!
      Marco