Interesting Musings Among Violinists

Discussion in 'Support' started by Path Maker, Sep 16, 2016.

1. Path Maker

Path Maker Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic
      Believe it or not (and why wouldn't you believe it? :) ), I googled in search of low decibel vacuum cleaners and stumbled upon THIS posting of a bunch of violinists discussing their tinnitus. Lots of entertaining stuff here and a scattering of links and subjective info on things they tried. Read with prudence, of course. Not recommending anything. Just FYI.

http://www.violinist.com/discussion/response.cfm?ID=25678

• Like Like x 2
    2. Jkph75

Jkph75 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/27/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Interesting. I have noticed that there are a lot of musicians that have tinnitus and other ear disorders. My almost 3 year old loves music so much. He is starting violin this fall. I so hope that he does not end up with any ear problems.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Path Maker

Path Maker Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic
      The violinists actually talk about young children, and recommend ear plugs for them while practicing. On amazon and other places, they make ear plugs that are joined by a connector band that goes around the back of the head. This might make wearing them easier for a young child, as long as the plugs fit well.

In general, we all should wear more protection more regularly in this artificially (and yes, naturally) noisy world. If we start our kids on the right track, with good ear hygiene habits as a matter of course, just like brushing their teeth and of course educate them on all the earbuds/electronics things, we can help them steer clear of all the misery.

As to "natural" sounds: have you ever spent 40 minutes in an elementary school cafeteria? Sheer torture. Now repeat for 180 days x 12 years of schooling, as just ONE source of too many decibels.

Public education about hearing loss and tinnitus is long overdue.

4. Lorac

Lorac Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sudden profound hearing loss in left ear.
      Many classical musicians have hearing loss. It's not just the rockers. I wonder if the high pitch of the violin is a factor. Doctors tell me it is likely a virus that caused the sudden deafness in my left ear but I don't recall feeling sick at that time. I sometimes wonder if it wasn't decades of playing a high pitched musical instrument that did me in.

5. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Jkph75 I've long wondered if 8 years of saxophone in school was bad for my ears, but it was instrumental (ha!) in surviving school at all, so i wouldn't take it back. I did meet a high school musician recently who started wearing earplugs because of concerns; that is an option!