Intermittent Ear Pain Since the Onset of My Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by Oli, Dec 16, 2017.

1. Oli
      Hurting

Oli Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/04/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Hi, Oliver here

I'm having intermittent ear pain since the onset of my tinnitus one year and a half ago and all the last times I went to a doctor or ENT they say they can do nothing about it and it's very frustrating.

Do you have advice on something I can try?

It can be medication, supplements or even change in my life style I will take everything at this point

Can it be eustachian tube dysfunction? (I feel like it can be because of the location of the pain). And in that case have you got anything to recommend me?

I'm very depressed these days and I feel like no one care about my suffering or take it seriously
      I also have OCD so it's not a easy thing for me to keep busy and forget about it.

• Hug Hug x 2
    2. Joel Waterman

Joel Waterman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably headphones/speakers and/or water damage
      I hear that ginger can help with ear pain. I'm gonna start having some daily for my hyperacusis/tinnitus soon. Nothing's for sure though, as far as i know. Sorry you're going through this, and I hope it gets better.

Whatever you do, never let a doctor/nurse syringue your ears because (even though some will say otherwise) it's unsafe, and lots of people's ear problems end up much worse afterwards.

Best of wishes, and hang in there!

Last edited: Dec 22, 2017
      • Like Like x 2
    3. sjtinguy

sjtinguy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise
      do you have any TMJ-like symptoms? Pain in your jaw? or right in front of your ears? feeling like a mild infection but no actually infection? I feel like my mild tmj issues got worse after too much noise exposure and it's hard to tell sometimes if my ear hurts from muscle tension or noise exposure.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Oli
      Hurting

Oli Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/04/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Same for me it's hard to know really... but I think in my case the ETD is more probable than TMJ
      Anyone know if they can see with an MRI if you have ETD or TMJ issues?
      I never did an MRI

5. Darkener
      Frustrated

Darkener Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown / Possibly wearing ear plugs every night?
      Really? I have really bad buildup and thought that may help. When I put olive oil drops in it also eases the sound for a bit, so I thought maybe mine was related to some kind of 'ear glue' condition.

• Like Like x 1
    6. Joel Waterman

Joel Waterman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably headphones/speakers and/or water damage
      From what I've heard olive oil drops are alright. With syringing (flushing water) I believe the problem is that it's shot into your ear with pressure, and this can have the same effect as acoustic trauma (or potentially mess up something physical in the ear that's too small for the ENT to see, but has bad effects). There are plenty of stories online about people who had a doctor nurse do it, and their T and/or their hyperacusis started/got worse.

Not everyone experiences negative side effects from syringing, but many do. It's up to you if you want to have it done, but from what I've read having an ENT do it manually is much safer. I'm certainly not an expert, but based on what I've read and on my own experience I think there's plenty of reason to be leery about syringing ears.

https://healthunlocked.com/bta/posts/135299941/ringing-ear-after-syringing-to-remove-wax.-help
      http://tolbecs.co.nz/ear-conditions/ear-care/ear-syringing

7. MBH

MBH Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Overloaded stress
      Yes I have ear fullness\pain, and mine comes and goes, I never had ear fullness and pain before and I have no problem with my ears. So yes I believe it is a T symptom.

8. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      t is nerve damage essentially.

therefore, its not unthinkable that pain could be part of the picture.

what does your pain feel like?

ive had random spikes of pain; mostly associated with hyperacusis. This has dramatically improved with stem cells.

If you are thinking its nerve pain, then I would recommend your mult bs, fish oil, alpha lipoic acid, tumeric, magnesium.

I also suffer with OCD (i am obsessed with checking the house etc) and often become housebound because of this.

I understand and can truly empathise with you on both accounts.

What sort of ocd do you have and what are you doing about it?

Inositol is apparently helpful for ocd.

look up James Callner's youtube videos on OCD. Highly recommended.

You are not alone.

• Like Like x 1
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Oli
      Hurting

Oli Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/04/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      My pain feel like a needle peircing throught my ear at random moment in the day
      You did Stem cells??? Was it in a trial? I'm in Canada I don't know if I got those treatments in Montreal
      As for my OCD then are always there but I got a huge spike recently because I stoped using all substances at once (coffee and weed) to see how it can affect my T.
      I had many type of differents OCD since my childhood but recently they are intrusive irrational toughts that from a specific time like tonight at midnight, I'm gonna push myself to do every actions possible to better myself and my situation 24/7. I am very aware of the irationality of it and its very frustrating because if I do the compulsion I will simply fail to my huge expectations and the intrusive tought will be reinforce. So I'm stuck in a limbo that when I wanna do something good I trust this tought that I will do it in the future all at once because of procrastinating so I can actually do nothing now. My head is spinning and it's really hard having those intrusive toughts that I know are irrational.
      I also have those weird insatisfaction when I'm doing something totally unimportant like brushing my hair and I'm always repeating until I feel that I did the movements symetrically.
      Those are very frustrating because I usually just avoid doing anything at all because I don't want to be caught in repeating compulsions to the point I lose my mind and hate myself. (OCD are fucking awfull because I'm a very rational and objective person but I can't help myself to have the intrusive toughts and compulsions)
      I'm 2 months going in absolutely every possible substance free and I think it's proggressively calming down but at a very low rate.
      I recently have been trying to change my diet and had significal benefits with my depression but I'm still very demotivated to go forward in my life. (I'm 24 and still at my parents house, unemployed since the onset of my t)