Intermittent Fullness in Ear — Would This Be Hyperacusis?

Discussion in 'Support' started by markdubby, May 10, 2021.

1. markdubby

markdubby Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud music + headphone use
      Hi all,

First introductory post here! I am an amateur music producer and DJ and have been going to clubs for the last 10 years (stupidly without hearing protection). About 1 month ago I had some new headphones which I played stupidly loud and it aggravated my tinnitus. While the tinnitus levels are not that high (I habituated immediately), I have had this strange fullness feeling in my ears. My right ear feels fully recovered now though, after I completely stopped with music for a few weeks, but the fullness returns in my left ear every couple of days and I can't exactly pinpoint the cause.

Sometimes it happens after I am in a loud environment, other times when I am just at home for a couple of days in silence. I did some tests at the audiologist including the LDL (Loudness Discomfort Level) and everything was in the norm bar some hearing loss in the lower frequencies which was to be expected. I have been resting and avoiding loud noises though, and my ears do feel quite refreshed in terms of hearing. I just cannot get rid of this intermittent fullness! I haven't had any pain or similar, so also suspect it could be postural seen how bad my posture is but wouldn't know how to find out.

Any advice on the matter would be greatly appreciated.

2. ajc

ajc Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2002; spike 2009; worse 2017-18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music - noise damage
      @markdubby, so you don't have discomfort from loud noises? No ear pain? I don't think it is hyperacusis then.

But as a DJ and going to clubs without hearing protection, you have definitely damaged your hearing, there are things like hidden hearing loss. Stop doing stupid things and always use hearing protection. It sounds good that the fullness feeling only comes on intermittently, maybe it goes away permanently soon.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      markdubby

markdubby Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud music + headphone use
      Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I am getting custom earplugs made next week, both 33 dB for attending and 17 dB for performing but I won't be getting back to it before a good few months.

I have some sensitivity in my right ear to loud high pitch noises (e.g., dishes clanking and so on) and these make my ear tremble (possibly TTTS), but feel that when I'm not actually thinking about it or in a relaxed state it doesn't happen.

Also there are certain higher tones in people's voices that bother me (especially if they are shouting). I have no pain however. I'm not sure if this is a psychosomatic response due to the anxiety of having damaged my ears or whatnot. I am being quite cautious around loud noises however.

It seems like the fullness is more of an ETD issue. I am often congested and when I swallow and my ear is full I can't hear the typical clicking of the tubes/ear.

Saline rinses and nasal sprays seem to be helping a bit!

4. Lukee

Lukee Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Wim Hof Breathing Exercises
      I have the exact same symptoms. Sudafed seems to help with the liquid, clicks and full feeling.