Intermittent "Tink" Sound in Right Ear

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by TommyNashville, Jun 19, 2016.

tinnitus forum
    1. TommyNashville

TommyNashville Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Anxiety
      Hi. I'm new here. I started to notice an intermittant "tink" sound in my right ear that can possibly be described as the sound of tapping your fingernail on an aluminum can. It's not pulsatile and it started after I became worried about some ringing I experienced in the fall of 2015. The ringing is gone but I have this sound. None of the ENT's I've seen have heard tinnitus described like this. One ENT says tinnitus is any phantom sound in the ear so it falls under that umbrella but another thinks I have eustachian tube dysfunction and prescribed nasal sprays that have not helped. It has now been about 3 months.

Does anyone else experience this symptom? I recently took prednisone for migraines and it appears to have increased the volume of the "tink" sound.

Thank you,

Thomas

2. glynis-harbron
      Feminine

glynis-harbron Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Ambassador Team Awareness Team Research

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Welcome to Tinnitus Talk Tommy.
      I have not heard of that sound but I'm sure it must be tinnitus and must be hard to put up with it.

(Hope not a Fready krueger sound )
      Lots of love glynis

3. TommyNashville

TommyNashville Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Anxiety
      Thank you. I'm hoping for some kind of relief.

4. Tamalak
      Volatile

Tamalak Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2011
      Are you hearing this constantly or does it go away for hours or more? When you do hear it how often (every second, 2 seconds?) Is the tempo steady or erratic? Does external noise affect it?

5. TommyNashville

TommyNashville Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Anxiety
      Thank you for responding. I usually don't hear it while driving, listening to music, or having fans blowing in my room. I might hear it once or twice at the store or several times in a waiting room. However, for the past few months it's been there consistently. It happens about every 7-10 seconds if I put my ear against my pillow to listen for it. The tempo is erratic. External noise helps mask it so I bought a sound pillow that has built-in speakers.