Internal Head Tinnitus: Is It Likely Going to Be Permanent?

Discussion in 'Support' started by akirakurosawa, Jun 13, 2020.

1. akirakurosawa

akirakurosawa Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      tympanogram
      The tinnitus I have is internal. I still occasionally have fleeting tinnitus in both ears, but I've had that for as long as I can remember (I'm 43 years old).

My tinnitus was caused by a tympanogram, so I consider it noise/pressure induced tinnitus.

My question to you all: If I am suffering from what seems to be a neuron (or internal) tinnitus, is this more than likely permanent?

I am going on 7 weeks now, and just not sure what the usual prognosis on this is. It definitely is not happening in my actual ears.

For what it's worth, it seems to be at about 13,500 Hz, and is at the 60-70 dB level. It sounds a LOT like the shower (my new favorite daily activity).

• Hug Hug x 2
    2. Samantha R

Samantha R Member Benefactor Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Sorry to hear about this new tone you have.
      It’s hard to know if it’s permanent or not, it really is just a waiting game.
      I hear my tinnitus in my head (if that’s what you mean by internal tinnitus).
      This is still tinnitus and quite common to hear it in your head.
      I hope it settles down for you.
      I take Nicotinamide Riboside regularly. This is supposed be otoprotective, to help keep my ears from getting any worse.
      I feel like I’m at least being proactive in some way, otherwise I feel pretty helpless.

• Hug Hug x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      akirakurosawa

akirakurosawa Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      tympanogram
      Hello good people of Tinnitus Talk!

It has been 12 weeks (3 months) since my tinnitus started. It was definitely from a tympanogram at an ENT’s office. My tinnitus is also head tinnitus. There is no perceptible tinnitus in my ears themselves.

Lately I have been noticing that I have a 4 day cycle of severity. On days 1-3 my tinnitus is at a level 5-7/10, and on day 4 its more like a 3/10. Does anyone else have this type of cycle? Stress certainly seems to influence how high a level I have on the first 3 days.

And side question, do people recover from head tinnitus? Feeling a bit hopeless as of late.

• Hug Hug x 1