Tinnitus for Several Decades, Brought on by Military Service: Introducing Myself

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Ray Stallard, Sep 18, 2020.

1. Ray Stallard

Ray Stallard Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan/2000
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi all,

One of the questions asked when I signed up just now was "how long have you had tinnitus". I had to pluck a date out of thin air because I honestly can't remember not having it. According to the military (Australian Regular Army) it came on as a result of my service. The notification approving my claim for assistance actually makes reference to small arms fire. I left the Army in early 1985 so allowing it to take a few years to hit me, I guess that means I've lived with it and "sensorineural hearing loss" for around 30 years. I don't remember what it's like to have silence in my life.

Over the past 2-3 years or so it has become increasingly worse and it's now at the stage that without medication (and often despite the medication) it actually wakes me in the early hours. Like many (probably most) of you, the tinnitus has affected almost every part of my life.

I joined this forum in the hope that I'd find realistic suggestions and ideas on how to ease the issue.

It's a loathsome condition and I absolutely hate it.

Cheers.

• Hug Hug x 3
    2. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Hi there.

Have you experienced further hearing loss that might explain the louder tinnitus?

Do you wear hearing aids/maskers?

3. Jrblovsky

Jrblovsky Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Christmas 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      NOISE/Menieres Who knows
      Most here have tinnitus from other things, not firearms/military service. A few do but most have other problems. I have it from a handgun and it was mild at first. A year later it's unbearable. I have found nothing to help. I'm in my early 30s and disabled due to it. I have no idea how a person learns to live with this tormented hell.

• Agree Agree x 1