iPhone Earbuds Volume Output

Discussion in 'Support' started by Nathalie, Dec 16, 2016.

1. Nathalie
      Sad

Nathalie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hey everyone. Does anyone know how high is the volume of iPhone white tiny earbuds?

There is the white bars, yellow and then red? How is the volume percentage measured? There are a total of 16 bars.

How many decibels is each of them?

Do you calculate the volume percentage and thus the decibels by the number of volume bars you have?

Also, if someone put the iPhone speaker in the bottom of the phone in your ear, how would you measure the decibels then?

When the decibel meter is right under the speaker it measures about 106db.

Does it mean if someone puts it into their ear at max or any other volume would the sound intensity that your ear receives be the same as measured with a decibel meter put right on the speaker as it is done in this test? Or does the decibel increase when put near the ear? It shouldn't right because the decibel meter is already put literally right under the speaker.

The method is displayed on the picture I added. I am asking out of curiosity and also because my brother usually listens to his music at 3 red bars with earbuds, not very often but sometimes up to 15min at a time. He has no problems but I think it could damage his hearing.

Attached Files:

2. MikeGreen
      Uninvolved

MikeGreen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Spotify
      I think 103 db. I ruined my ears with iPhone earbuds too. Im so damned...

3. bill 112
      Fine

bill 112 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Yup,a Google search shows that it's really impossible to show what an iPhone pumps out as there are all sorts of different headphones etc which can vary in volume.Apparently it's capped in Europe at 103db so I take that as no in ear device can be louder than 103db.

One short burst of noise on near full volume from an iPhone completely screwed my ears,the volume jumped for no reason at all,and to think I was only using it to administer pink noise for my H.Never had an iPod or used a single earbud in my entire life prior to that.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Nathalie
      Sad

Nathalie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Is 11 bars very dangerous to listen to for like 20min? It is roughly 70% of the volume. That shouldn't be too hazardous I guess :/

5. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      It is your choice to listen to music through headphones but I always advise people with tinnitus not to, even if the volume is low, as I believe there is a risk of making the tinnitus worse....

6. MikeL1972

MikeL1972 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Uknown
      I have not used headphones/earphones/ear buds since March 2016, when I got tinnitus (not due to music, either). The whole idea now is to protect your ears!

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. VRZ78

VRZ78 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral Infection
      70% is loud. If you want to listen to music with headphones, buy IEM that blocks external sounds. Then you should be able to hear the music clearly even with the volume around 30 or 40 %.

I suggest you wait a bit though before listening with headphones to see if normal volume sounds cause further damage or not.

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I fully agree with you @VRZ78 and can't understand why some people look for trouble....

9. VRZ78

VRZ78 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral Infection
      It's because it's so good :) sometimes I can't resist and I listen to them haha. I EQ down the frequencies that annoy me. Sometimes my distortions increase after but the next morning it's fine.
      And speech at very low volume hasn't worsened anything for me

10. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      You obviously know what you're doing. The person in question was in such distress this week that I can't understand why anyone would put themselves in harms way so quickly. However, it is their choice. My tinnitus was caused by headphones and that was 20 years ago and never worn headphones since. When a person has suffered as I have, with loud intrusive tinnitus and excruciating hyperacusis, you do everything to protect your ears and don't rock the boat:)

• Like Like x 1
    11. VRZ78

VRZ78 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral Infection
      The thing is to not listen to long. I listen to no more than 20 minutes and never go above 30%. But yeah I didn't touch them during 2 months. Thing is listening on speaker does the same thing and distortions so that's why I went back to them (not often though). And since I got T I notice that it's possible to enjoy the music even at those volume. Too bad I can't really do that because of the distortion...

But yeah @Nathalie I think you should wait and see how it goes or if you want to listen with them don't go above 30 % ans if you notice strange reactive noise in the music stop using them immediately. Get some good speakers and you'll enjoy music as much as with headphones.

12. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I am an Audiophile (HI-Fi) enthusiast and used to listen to music through high quality headphones which I don't do now. I enjoy my music as I type through my HI-FI and haven't missed using headphones in 20 years.
      Michael

13. VRZ78

VRZ78 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral Infection
      I'm an audiophile as well, even though with this hearing I can't really enjoy.
      The thing is that I commute a lot and that's where a miss headphones. Plus I live with other people so headphone were like privacy to listen to a specific song or watch videos.

14. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I see your point and If you live with other people it can be a problem. When you want to listen to your music through speakers others don't want to hear it...hmm

15. 3ri0w

3ri0w Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2012, H 2016, 12/2018(?)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noises, ringing came back 12/2018 after 1year of silent
      I used to listen to music on iPod until I discovered it can't play music quiet enough. I had it on the lowest bar available yet it still was too loud. Then I read you can't even put the volume on mute (part of the design lol)

16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Nathalie
      Sad

Nathalie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hey everyone! Happy new year to all of you! :) Thanks for all the large amounts of support and kind words I have received. I will write an update on my current situation tomorrow because I really need to sleep.

I have yet another question. I haven't used earbuds anymore and don't plan on using them again at high volumes. Please don't assume I did something destructive to my ears again. Not this time. I just want to know how loud can they really get in terms of decibels if you turn them all the way up.

What is the max volume output they are able to produce? I haven't been able to find credible information which could provide an answer to my question.

It also interests me because my brother likes to listen with earbuds at like 13 bars out of 16 and he doesn't seem to care about his ears at all. I want to raise his level of awareness because what he is doing is obviously by no means safe.

So does any of you have any idea what the maximum volume output of iPhone tiny earbuds is in decibels (I am talking about the ones that sit in your ear canal)?

Is there info which could tell how many decibels is one bar? I know that the actual decibels going into your ears vary depending on the song type as well but I guess there are some approximations for the volume in db for earbuds. Thank you for your answers whoever can offer some insight.

17. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Happy New Year to you @Nathalie. The positive vibes that members have been sending you seems to be having the desired effect, and that’s good to see.

It is also good to hear that you have decided not to use earbuds anymore at high volumes. If you were to go a step further and not to use them at all or any type of headphone, it would be much better in my opinion. Many know my views on headphones and tinnitus, especially when the condition was caused by exposure to loud noise. They can make tinnitus worse even at low volume. It is true that some people with tinnitus are not adversely affected by headphone use but I would rather not take the risk.

You are right to be concerned about your brother listening to music through earbuds at such high volumes, because sound levels of 100 decibels and over can easily be reached. He may, like many other people not know the error of his ways until it is too late and develops tinnitus with hyperacusis. He might even have it slightly and not be aware of it. Sorry to sound so sobering. One indication for a person to know if they have the beginning of tinnitus; is to wait until night when all is quiet and listen for any ringing. If it is heard, then it would be prudent to address it before it gets worse. There is information on the Internet about volumes levels through iphones, ipods and earbuds: https://www.lifewire.com/tips-to-avoid-iphone-ipod-hearing-loss-1999472

A general rule of thumb: If people can hear your music when using earbuds or headphones the volume is too high. If you’re unable to hear conversation or the ambient sounds around you when out and about whilst using them, the volume is too high. The best solution I believe although this wont be favourable by many, is to never use earbuds or headphones.

Michael

18. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      I have a pair of headphones with high isolation. When I put them on, I have a hard time hearing anything else going on around me, even if I don't play any music through them. They act like ear muffs. By the rule above, supposedly I'd be playing at a volume that is too loud, when in fact I'm not playing anything at all.
      Conversely, if I blast music through them, people around me aren't going to notice. By the rule above, I'd be playing at safe levels.
      Then we have leaky designs, where a low volume played can easily leak out to the person a few feet to your side, in spite of playing at a very low volume.

I think you can't really know unless you really measure: there are many variables, a big one of which is the actual hardware involved. And even then, sound doesn't have the same loudness throughout the whole piece, so you have to talk averages (i.e. integrate over a period of time).

If you really want to be accurate, you have to measure with a Dummy Head (yes, it actually exists - I've actually met one a few years back when working on echo canceling technology).