Is Anyone with Tinnitus Planning to Watch Star Wars 9 in Theaters?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Jewel0311, Oct 27, 2019.

?

Are you going to watch Star Wars 9 in a movie theater?

1. Yes, with hearing protection

2. Yes, without hearing protection

3. Yes, I'll bring hearing protection just in case

4. No, however I would like to, but will play it safe with my tinnitus

5. No, however I would like to, but my hyperacusis prevents me

6. Not interested in Star Wars (but I otherwise do go to movie theaters)

7. Not interested in Star Wars (and I no longer go to movie theaters after tinnitus / hyperacusis)

Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. Jewel0311

Jewel0311 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Hello everyone :)

So basically I've had ongoing tinnitus since May of this year (I've had on & off tinnitus even before that) after attending various loud concerts with zero hearing protection in addition to YEARS of loud music through headphones, earbuds, etc.

Since then, I haven't been to the movies at all due to fear. I had a pretty bad case of hyperacusis for the longest time (basically since May lol) but it has now been gone for the most part, as long as I'm not in a super loud place with 0 protection.

I've read many threads on here about going to the movies with tinnitus, but I'm still on the fence honestly.

If I were to go, I would bring ear plugs and noise reducing ear muffs and of course skip the trailers, but would that be enough?

This is honestly the only movie I'm interested in seeing in theaters as the other ones I'm either not that interested or patient enough to wait until its out on DVD.

I guess I happen to also be more hesitant since this is an action movie and it is pretty much 3 hours long.

So... anyone else thinking of going?

2. Daniel Lion
      Ape-like

Daniel Lion Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise trauma, hearing loss
      Sadly, no.

I will wait 6 months till it's released on DVD.
      My kids can go with their mom.
      Such is life for a wretch like me...

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    3. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      In that case, you ought to go! You only live once! You will have fun for a couple of hours, and the worst that can happen is that your tinnitus might get louder for the rest of your life. It's a no-brainer. As one wise person once said:
      So there's nothing to worry about.
      Only one way to find out!!

• Agree Agree x 2
    4. EddieL.

EddieL. Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      As a fan of STAR WARS since 1977, at the age of 7, it's killing me that I won't be able to see THE RISE OF SKYWALKER in the theater. I felt compelled to buy a ticket for the first IMAX matinee on 12/20, but the chances I'll use it are very slim. Also, considering that I wasn't thrilled with THE FORCE AWAKENS, and enjoyed THE LAST JEDI even less, there's always a chance that it will disappoint me, and I'm not sure I'm willing to take that risk. Waiting 3 months to watch it in the safety and comfort of my own home doesn't sound too bad to me.

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. Allan1967

Allan1967 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Was your tinnitus reactive? How did you get rid of the hyperacusis?

6. maltese
      Batty

maltese Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Club
      I could not care less about Star Wars, but it does make me a little sad that I can't go to see Ferrari v Ford :c I'm very much looking forward to seeing it when it comes out on DVD!

7. Emanuel Lourenco
      No Mood

Emanuel Lourenco Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Used to love going to the movies... after 4 years of tinnitus, that's all gone now... This condition took everything from me.

• Agree Agree x 2
    8. Michael B
      No Mood

Michael B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      '11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      Yes, and I will be wearing earplugs.

• Winner Winner x 1
    9. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      Even if I didnt have hearing damage I would never go see the Disney Star Wars. They have been absolute SJW garbage. Kathleen Kennedy is a POS. Rogue One was a fantastic film but the rest of these are just running off the fumes of the original trilogy.

10. Flamingo1

Flamingo1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4-15-2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      I still go to the movies ...with ear plugs. Haven't had any problems and been going for years (around once every two months.)

11. OnceUponaTime
      Wishful

OnceUponaTime Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      I won't take a chance at the movies. Just not worth it. I rather wait to see it when it's released on DVD.

12. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I saw Force Awakens in the theater, no problems, I think I used silicone earplugs for most of it. It was the first straight action movie I'd seen in a theater in a while so I brought a meter out of curiousity. Nothing scary. Dialog in 70s, action sequences in 80s with occasional spike into 90s but never saw anything close to 100 and I would guess the weighted average for the whole ~2 hours was like 77db and not very scary.

The main reason I won't see this is, getting a date night at a theater involves hiring a babysitter, so we're looking at like a fifty dollar deal... and we have a 1080P projector and a ten foot screen in our living room with 5.1 surround sound. Why spend money to be aggravated by other people's bad habits when we can just not leave home and get a "theater" experience I have full control over with kiddo sleeping peacefully in the next room?

Here's our setup watching Aladdin, with my jerk of a cat standing in front of the screen for scale.

You can get yourself this same setup for the cost of about a hundred movie tickets, and then you have total control over the volume, snacks, can drink beer, etc.

Malls (as we knew them in the 80s/90s) got killed by the internet; I'm curious to see the future of theaters. Giant screens and giant projectors get cheaper every year, meanwhile movie tickets get more expensive.

13. GlennS

GlennS Member Podcast Patron Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      On that point I agree.

I felt Rogue One felt like Star Wars overall but there were some things that bugged me about it so I'm not as up on that as you are. Other than that, I think SW is indeed running on fumes but with a franchise this big, the fumes have a lot of power, at least for the first 2-3 weeks of release.

Mandalorian looks more promising but that can go up in smoke quickly if there's any "current year" politics embedded.

Also sad that Terminator: Dark Fate looks like it's gonna take that franchise's last hope out with a wokified wimper.

14. Mister Muso
      No Mood

Mister Muso Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2011 / April 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      No way. Episode 7 at the IMAX was paiinful to my ears and that was before I got hyperacusis.

15. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      I think Star Wars ended after Jedi. Voted for the last option. I won't go to the movie theater anyway as I think it's a risk of tinnitus worsening. Movie theaters are really noisy usually. I don't even want to guess how loud they are these days.

16. Lilah
      Mellow

Lilah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I've been to two movies with ear muffs. I try to skip most of the trailers. I cannot tell if going to movies affects my tinnitus. I am going to do what I want with caution and eat what I want.

17. New Guy
      Doh

New Guy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      3/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced Hearing Loss
      No movies at the theater for this guy and they used to be my happy place.