Is Ear Pain Normal with Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by AmericanJosh, Sep 9, 2018.

1. AmericanJosh

AmericanJosh Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise exposure while doing work on home
      I got noise induced tinnitus from using a hammer and chisel to remove tile. My ears, mostly the right, ache a bit at times. It's more discomfort than pain.

Is this normal with tinnitus?

2. Red
      Crappy

Red Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure (Headphones)
      It is normal for tinnitus sufferers to also have some form of hyperacusis.

3. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      welcome to the cruel unforgiving world of hyperacusis with pain, AKA noxacusis.
      enjoy the fact that it's mechanism's are very poorly understood and no current treatment options exist outside of sound therapy which is medicorely effective.

your only hope is for research to advance or you could just habituate to the pain and modify your lifestyle entirely forever
      https://hyperacusisresearch.org/an-md-summary-of-the-2016-aro-hyperacusis-symposium/

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      AmericanJosh

AmericanJosh Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I don't have any sharp pain or pain from any type of sound at all. Nothing bothers me or triggers the feeling. I wouldn't describe the feeling as pain or fullness, just a tiny little ache that comes and goes a couple times a day.

5. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      noxacusis varies in degree.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      AmericanJosh

AmericanJosh Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I've also read that those with just t generally have a heat your discomfort is well. Should I expect that this will go away in time?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    7. Mark A
      Wishful

Mark A Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/05/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      For me it went away after about two years. I felt pain in my ears too, and they felt hot and even sweaty if that makes sense. The H most went away after a year or so, but the T didn’t. But T got much better. Either it calmed down or I ignored it better. Was very happy for a year, but now it starts all over again. Much worse than ever. I was living a normal life again, and a few accidental loud noise exposures started the whole cycle over again. Normal noises for some, but too much for me. Now much worse than ever. I am again wishing I die soon, but I keep reminding myself that it got better once before and it might again. But it is so loud now and H is really bad. Higher pinched sounds is what is really bad for my H. Not sure if I can keep my job with this awful stuff. I finally got a high level computer and security director job, but I am no longer able to focus on it. Just knowing it got better once before is enough to hang in there. It’s really day by day until you get used to it. Even if you feel like dieing, take good care of yourself, you will be grateful when you hibituate to it.

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    8. Red
      Crappy

Red Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure (Headphones)
      Would you mind saying what noises caused your H to come back with a vengeance?

9. Mark A
      Wishful

Mark A Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/05/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Just my guess as I can't think of anything else. I had to vacuum my dads room in a rush as he was preparing for hospice. I didn't have enough time to grab ear plugs, and that vacuum was high pitched and loud. But it was only for a few minutes. Then two weeks later, a delivery truck slammed its ramp just as I was walking by, completely by surprise. None of these events should destroy anyone's hearing, but apparently I 'm way more fragile than I thought. I was getting used to being like everyone else, but always protecting my ears in loud restaurants, parties, etc. I feel bad that my dad is laying there dying in his room and I'm a mess from this new level of T.

• Hug Hug x 1
    10. Gman
      No Mood

Gman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic earwax drops, worsened by MDs (Muppet Doctors)
      I’m in the same boat. I’ve decided to see a decent audiologist, also moving somewhere quiet and going to work from home for at least a year. Everything can come undone in no time at all. It’s terrible. Walking around areas that were ok just recently now sound loud as anything. So demoralising.

• Hug Hug x 1