Is Hyperacusis Always Associated with Cochlear Damage?

Discussion in 'Support' started by fatima, Aug 21, 2018.

1. fatima

fatima Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1st august 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Labyrinthitis
      I have been going crazy on Google for the past 3 weeks.

I have labyrinthitis. I'm on my 7th week I believe. My MRI results were clear.

I have slight hyperacusis and mild tinnitus that I usually only hear when I pay attention to it or specifically when it's really quiet at night.

Dr. Google suggested that hyperacusis is associated with hearing loss and cochlear/nerve damage. Is this true?

I am going crazy. I had small hope of tinnitus maybe fading away in a couple of weeks, but realising that hyperacusis might indicate some damage in my inner ear has left me with no hope at all. :(

Thanks.

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. eagerUser

eagerUser Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      I wouldn't say that hyperacusis is always related to cochlear damage. We don't know! No one knows! Just throwing some papers saying that scientists believe it is type II or type IIIIIIIIIII doesn't guarantee it is always cochlear damage.

No scientist can prove it is always cochlear damage unless they can objectively measure the damage or find a treatment for it! Most people with sensorineural hearing loss don't have hyperacusis. Hearing loss is inevitable, we all have it to some degree as we age.

• Agree Agree x 2
    3. Brian Newman

Brian Newman Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Shooting/loud noise
      Hyperacusis can be cochlear, middle ear, or brain related. It depends on the person and the case. Each theory has articles and information behind all of them. Hyperacusis and tinnitus are extremely complex conditions.

If you have labyrinthitis, I would assume it is cochlear from all the swelling. I would also assume it improves after the condition improves. Give it time, I’m sure it will calm down, hang in there!

• Like Like x 2
    4. scared8

scared8 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2023
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma (mri)
      Not to scare you, but I had noise sensitivity for years and got an MRI for something unrelated. Now the sensitivity is extremely severe and there’s also aural fullness/pain that seems to be staying. I’m currently housebound.

If someone asks you to get another MRI for your hyperacusis, tinnitus, or anything else in the future, PLEASE consider it carefully. I had deep concerns and did mine anyway, and my life will never be the same.

Praying for your healing journey!

• Hug Hug x 3