Is It Possible I Have Permanent Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Eddie Simmons, Apr 22, 2018.

1. Eddie Simmons

Eddie Simmons Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/20/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Hello, so two days ago (4/20/18) there was a fire alarm at my school. The school has a new policy that we are required to stay inside the classrooms during a fire alarm. The room I was in had two fire alarms that were unsynchronized and they went off for 15 minutes straight.

Ever since I have not been able to hear as well as I used to and I now have a constant 24 hours high pitched "eeeeeeeeeeeee" about equal in both ears. It is pretty quiet but can be heard over driving the car and over the sound of a fan or the television. I have about scared myself to death reading things online that it will never go away. I have never had ringing in my ears before this. Also I know that my tinnitus was caused by the fire alarm.

Do you think it could be permanent? If it is how should I go about life (I'm only 16)? Should I see a doctor about this or an ENT?

• Hug Hug x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    2. David Dubros

David Dubros Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      What you should do is go to a doctor asap.

3. dayma
      Pacman

dayma Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/6/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      UNKNOWN
      Schedule an appointment with an ENT asap and also Audiologist. Those two should work together normally. You may hear people tell you to get on steroids also ASAP. I am not sure there is data/proof behind taking steroids that fast though...

4. Samantha R

Samantha R Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @Eddie Simmons
      I am so sorry to hear about your tinnitus.
      I think that you should go to an ENT straight away. In cases of noise exposure, they may prescribe prednisolone.
      There is not consensus about whether this is helpful or not, but in my opinion it is worth a try.
      Go about your life as normally as you can, but be careful to protect your ears. Avoid exposure to loud noises wherever possible.

5. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      It Could end up being permanent, but there is still a good chance that you will end up being ok, especially since you are so young.

You might consider getting HBOT treatments (for more information, search this forum). Make sure to not go to any loud concerts.

Check out the thread below where I summarize everything (27 tips) I learned about managing tinnitus after reading the posts on this forum for the past year.
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...eone-else-who-has-tinnitus.26850/#post-307822

• Like Like x 1
    6. TuneOut

TuneOut Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Worsened 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      And then a lawyer. The school is liable for the trauma he experienced.

• Agree Agree x 3
    7. Wolfears

Wolfears Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 20/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely accoustic trauma
      At your age the chance of recovery should be pretty high...unless you have some other underlying issues.