Is It Possible to Get a Spike from 85 dB Noise Exposure?

Discussion in 'Support' started by worriedd, Feb 11, 2018.

1. worriedd

worriedd Member

Tinnitus Since:
      20/03/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fluid, from a cold. No noise damage or infection.
      Recently went to a bar with my friends, I was there for about 2 hours and the dB range was from around 70 to 85, which I’ve always assumed would be alright.

Clearly it was quite loud as one of my friends actually asked if we could leave as it was too noisy, and she doesn’t even have tinnitus.

Is it possible to get a spike from this?

Also if it is could it really be that I’ve damaged my hearing?

2. Red
      Crappy

Red Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure (Headphones)
      I don't really trust decibel readers and just go off of what I'm comfortable with and my own intuition. It is definitely possible to spike from that though. I have spiked from less.But, you would know by now if you spiked.

• Agree Agree x 3
    3. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      You bet. Those places are not safe for people like us even if we wear ear plugs: https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...-religious-purposes-in-nyc.24448/#post-294691
      I doubt it. Having said this, if you keep doing things that give you temporary spikes, it is possible that one day the spike will end up being permanent.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      worriedd

worriedd Member

Tinnitus Since:
      20/03/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thank you for the replies. It never felt uncomfortably loud for me personally that’s why I didn’t leave, but I’m only 19 so I still want to live my life. I don’t think I’ve said but I think I have a small spike but annoyingly I think it’s just due to me actually trying to listen to my tinnitus more☹️

5. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      A bar at 70-85 Dbs will NOT harm yours ears. If you have hyperacusis then it can bother your ears but 70-85Db is not damaging enough is you to stay for 2 hours. The stress and you observing the sound and how loud it is will give you, more spikes than an actual 70db environment.

I am not suggesting for people to go to bars now :)

I am just saying that that level of sound is not damaging. It can be rattling because our ears ring and we don't want to further damage it, but 70+ Dbs is not damaging to the ears. Again if you have hyperacusis, then it can be much harder, because you ears are more sensitive to noise...

Folks please do not listen to people that tell you that 70Dbs + ear muffs are dangerous and a temporary spike can become a permanent spike. This is utter BS and i feel sorry for anyone that takes such HORRIBLE and inaccurate advice to heart.

70+ DBs is normal sound, you folks need to consider the sound and the duration of time spent near that sound.

I am thankful that I have tons of experience and don't take the advice given on this forum to heart by certain people....

Take the advice of people like Michael and Glynis and Me if you like, but years of experience is way more credible than less experience...

Be well

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
      • Agree Agree x 1
    6. dpdx
      Disappointed

dpdx Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset:09/23/2017 Worsened: 1/17/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma, worsened by caloric test/VEMP test 90db nhL
      I went to a bar for 10 minutes without earplugs in November, the music was 80-85 db..i got a spike that lasted five days.

7. Ambassador
      Cool

Ambassador Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      High frequency hearing loss and lifetime noise exposure
      Anxiety worrying about a spike will spike you.

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      Stress and anxiety can make even the safest sounds create a spike. 70-80 dbs is not loud at all, it's the stress we as tinnitus suffers have, that create this. I was in that same boat for a very long time and know just how it feels. We want to protect our ears and that can create extra stress.

I am not advising for anyone to go or not go into any decibel level environments with 80+dbs. 70dbs should not cause any issues. if you have hyperacusis, then it might be more difficult...

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      worriedd

worriedd Member

Tinnitus Since:
      20/03/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks for the replies! I just wanted some reassurance really that i couldn’t have damaged my ears really. I also annoyingly managed to get some water in the ear that’s spiking the day after that which I don’t think has helped. I definitely think it’s most likely me listening because I was worried, which is annoying as I have been dealing really well with my tinnitus for a while now. I’ve also realised that the public transport I’m on often is usually at the range, so hopefully my brain will realise that and let the tinnitus fade into the background again. As for now I’ll just have to use my rain app more often

10. JurgenG
      Approved

JurgenG Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure / headphone accident maybe?
      I was for 3,5 hours in a 70-85 dB enviroment yesterday, used plugs almost all the time. Perfect fitted - 15 dB premolds, even talked less and less loud for occlussion effect, but my good ear seems a bit tired today.
      Guess it's just me getting used to sound again.

11. Rajin

Rajin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      9/7/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss ,noise
      Don’t have much experience with T , but I do go to restaurants with my phone App 70- 85 dB. It do bother me , but I put on a filter Earplugs , get in a conversation with no problem. Don’t feel bother by the noise. Seem with me crowded place make my entire brain go off . Don’t get spikes.