Is It Possible to Habituate to Multiple Tones?

Discussion in 'Support' started by CarloZ, Oct 2, 2015.

tinnitus forum
    1. CarloZ

CarloZ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      September 3, 2015
      I have a beep happening. And just last night I got a new one. Sounds so much like an Amber Alert. Sometimes it continuous. And sometimes it like an actual where it rings, stops, rings, stop etc. I'm really scared. I'm scared that I will continue to develop new tones and sounds that I won't be able to habituate at all! :( I'm one month in.

• Hug Hug x 2
    2. Cheza
      Wishful

Cheza Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barking dogs/stress
      The first months are the worst months. Ride the storm and do anything you can to distract yourself. Try as best you can to not monitor the tinnitus, as in "OMG, it's loud today!" "OMG, what's that new sound?!"

If you can't stop the anxiety, see a doctor. Search the TT forums to see what other people are taking.

FWIW, when tinnitus first hit me, I had the most ungodly assortment of sounds you could imagine, and every week or so the noise would change. It finally settled into a cicada type of noise with a tea kettle whistle either in the background or foreground, depending on what my brain decides to do. I think the fact that your T noise starts and stops is a good sign, especially since it's so new. It may very well fade away.

• Genius Genius x 1
    3. AnnieM
      Breezy

AnnieM Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2010
      I'm several years in and I hear roughly a half dozen noises total; sometimes two at once, one ear doing its thing and the other sounding off with a different noise. Sometimes my left ear is totally silent. I hope yours is short term and goes away soon, but if not, yes - habituation is possible.

4. CarloZ

CarloZ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      September 3, 2015
      I hope. It's reading things like this that make me joyful. You've brought tears sir. Really. Thank you. How are you doing? Is your tinnitus still impacted your life negatively? Are you habituated?

5. Mad maggot
      Breezy

Mad maggot Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Yes you can. Don't worry. Most people seem to have more than one sound going on. I have a Geiger counter, a hiss and a whistle.

6. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      I did.

7. CarloZ

CarloZ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      September 3, 2015
      You did? :) really? Are you living a good life?

8. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      Oh ya, a great life.
      This forum is great - I learned a method of dealing with T and I call it "Back To Silence." Look it up here.
      After 40 years of T, I only hear it once every couple weeks.

9. OnceUponaTime
      Facebooking

OnceUponaTime Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Allergies or Acoustic Trauma, Stress
      It is possible.... I have hizzing, eeehhhh, static like .....a nasty hum that my head feels pressure/shaking.... and every now and then I get the morse code... like the Road Runner you know...beep-beep.... grrrrrrrrr.... And I hear it above all except in the shower.

10. Robert44

Robert44 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud concert
      your going through what we all have gone through. I was ready to end it all. Things will get better. Trust me. I really can't explain it but you will be fine. try to take car of your ears. Earplugs, no caffeine healthy eating, no Advil.

11. CarloZ

CarloZ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      September 3, 2015
      Thanks you all! Feel much better! I hope I do get better! :)

12. Tweaker
      Doubtful

Tweaker Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      I have multiple tones that have got a whole lot louder recently. I have habituated in the past but right now feel terrible. Feel finally beaten by it. Feeling ultimate low today. Like an electrical storm in my ears, unmaskable. Trying to hang in there.

• Hug Hug x 1
    13. glynis-harbron
      Feminine

glynis-harbron Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Ambassador Team Awareness Team Research

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Hi Tweaker..hope your ears settle soon for you.
      keep sound therapy going set below your tinnitus and be kind to yourself with nice treats and look forwards to better days soon.
      Take care. ..lot

14. Sailboardman
      Frustrated

Sailboardman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/21/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sensorineural hearing loss right ear.
    15. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      Ya it is.
      But it's a picture of me when I was little and my dad is standing next to me playing an accordion. The beginnings of my tinnitus I suppose. Loud music.

16. Sailboardman
      Frustrated

Sailboardman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/21/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sensorineural hearing loss right ear.
      @I who love music, Whoa! That blows my mind man. Little did you know, what the future held for you. Bad Karma indeed.