Is It Safe for Tinnitus Sufferers to Go to the Cinema?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Jcb, Jan 31, 2018.

1. GlennS

GlennS Member Podcast Patron Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      I think this is what was responsible for my worsened condition thanks to the behind-the-seat speaker "enhancement" of the IMax theater I was in. Normal movies I can handle with earplugs but I will never go to that kind of theater again (hindsight is 20/20).

• Hug Hug x 2
    2. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Those setups are a different animal. I haven’t been to an IMAX for years.

Sorry to hear about your experience.

• Like Like x 1
    3. Agrajag364

Agrajag364 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Everyone’s tinnitus seems to differ in how easily spiked it is by noise. I find that normal cinema does not spike (I take earplugs with me for any loud scenes). However I once went to the IMAX cinema and that spiked it for six weeks.

• Like Like x 2
    4. Dabard

Dabard Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      Cinemas are totally fine. I carry around a pair of musicians plugs that I pop in if a scene gets too actiony, shooty and explodey but that's mostly for my own comfort, I doubt my ears would be damaged in those scenarios.

5. bethadtr
      Balanced

bethadtr Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/07/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Earphone Use
      Hey all,

I have recently developed very mild tinnitus that I’ve had for just under 2 weeks now.

I’ve been invited to the cinema and I wondered if it would be okay for me to go? Or should I wear ear plugs?

Interested on what people think!

Thanks all :)

6. aot
      Depressed

aot Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2016. Worsened 11/2019.
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably noise induced, worsened due to noise exposur + flu
      Depends on the movie, I feel. If it's a RomCom, then it's probably okay with plugs. If it's a big budget superhero action movie, probably not.

That said, I wouldn't go, at least not now. Maybe in a few months to a year, but not now.

If you really want to go, (and there is nothing at all wrong with desiring human interaction.) then I suggest you start taking Magnesium and NAC, both of which can help prevent hearing damage and/or spikes.

Make sure the plugs are inserted properly. Most people don't use plugs correctly.

If it sounds too loud, or you feel unsafe, leave.

7. Kriszti

Kriszti Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2016/2017/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Only my personal opinion, I wouldn't go. I think, that your ears right now are in need of protection and healing. You could be perfectly okay, but you can worsen your mild tinnitus into something much worse. You seem to be on the road to getting better, I wouldn't risk it. Unfortunately, nobody can predict which group you fall in and cinemas can be very loud. For me a movie is not worth the risk.

If you decide to go, wear earprotection. The higher the NRR/SNR the better.

8. Tatsopa

Tatsopa Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      2005 (Onset) 05/2020 (Worsening)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No clue
      Hi @bethadtr ,

You seem to observe some improvements with your T (considering your lasts posts on this board). Your T is very "fresh" and I truly think you have a chance to see it fade furthermore and even disappear. If I was in your shoes I would give myself more time before attempting noisy activities.

I may sound a bit like a "coward" who's shaking at every noise louder than the flight of a bee but I'm not. I played drums for ten years with T (with protections) and NEVER experienced a spike during this time... My recent worsening happened only recently (I ceased to play drums 12 years ago).

Of course, the choice's yours.

;)

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. Mister Muso
      No Mood

Mister Muso Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2011 / April 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      Cinemas can be uncomfortable if you have hyperacusis, even with foam earplugs and ear muffs (I sat in the back row). Some of the sound effects went right through my skull through bone conduction. I would not go to an action movie in the cinema with severe tinnitus, or with moderate to severe hyperacusis.

I never had any problems in them when my tinnitus was mild and before I got hyperacusis, though I do believe they've been getting louder here in the UK (or maybe I'm just getting older).