Is It Safe to Wear Musician or Custom Ear Plugs When Flying?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Konrad Gorski, Jun 18, 2017.

1. Konrad Gorski
      Worried

Konrad Gorski Member

Tinnitus Since:
      August 2014
      Hello,

Last year I flew to Europe and I wore musician/or custom ear plugs throughout all of my flights. I saw a few threads recommending that I should do so, therefore, I would like to hear the opinions of others on this matter. Any information would be greatly appreciated. (N.B. I can easily pop my ears)

Sincerely,

Konrad

2. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      In my opinion earplugs are unnecessary for flying. Let your ears get used to normal environmental sounds. However, you could carry them along just in case your auditory system starts to feel uncomfortable but I think you'll be just fine.

Michael

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. jer

jer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      I disagree, and I believe they are very necessary for a long haul flight. I have flown with and without ear protection. I can say that without a doubt that I have had much more problems after flying without the ear protection. I use those big headphones that people normally use with power drills. They are very comfortable, and reduce the noise to a level that I can deal with while flying.

4. Bobby B
      Fine

Bobby B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Large caliber rifles&machine guns, +30 years of loud clubs
      The best is to use the Peltor x5a - those can attenuate the loud bass rumble of aircraft cabins very well and they only cost 30 usd

At take off I measured about 90db at the back of a A330 and 75 - 80db cruise down to 65 when engine is in low power or in descent .

Foam ear plugs inserted deep will work too not as good as the muffs but much better than nothing or musician plugs

Our ears were designed to sustain the "normal noise environment" of 10,000 years ago that's well before loud music and airplanes

Of course if you don't have underlying inner ear damage you won't need all these precautions - if t is caused by stress or other then it's not really an issue with the ears

For descent and landing just move to a free seat at the farthest rear of the aircraft so you can avoid the huge noise from the engine braking reverse thrust which is the loudest close to the wings and towards the front - so in practice you won't need hearing protection during the last 45 minutes of the flight