Is It True That Some People's Tinnitus Go Away?

Discussion in 'Support' started by epin3m, Nov 19, 2013.

1. epin3m
      Badass

epin3m Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      hello!

I have been struggling with T after a month and a half and am feeling better day by day.

After the initial shock I had lots of anxiety which made my condition worse. I barely could concentrate at work and was afraid of meeting people because I lost a lot of self-confidence. For instance, I was paying more attention to T than to a chat with a friend.

As I said, now I am feeling good. My T level has wane because I stopped covering my ears at all times to check its volume and I have taught myself not to react emotionally to it. I have been able to fall asleep twice without masking noises. At night I listen to my T and try to focus on something else. I am more focused on my work and I am 85pc the person I used to be.

The threads in this forum and the people here have helped me a lot to cope with it. Thank you!

I hate having T (who doesn´t) and I realize that might be with me for good. Although I think that having this idea helps to accept and habituate to it, I still want to hope that one day it could go away.

So, is it true that some people's tinnitus goes away? Does anyone know any case of someone getting rid of it after a period of time?

best!

2. Amelia
      Daring

Amelia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      I'm 3 months in and I'm pretty sure my T is here to stay.

I've actually just come back from getting some custom plugs fitted and the audiologist said she has never seen anyone's go :(

But, I still have a little bit of hope ... Miraculous things can happen :)

• Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    3. AnnieM
      Stressed

AnnieM Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      PROBABLY long term exposure to the sound of motors/blowers
      This is actually my second bout with T. About a decade ago I had it for eight months... and yep, it went away. I hoped it was gone for good... welp, it's been back for two years now so although I'm hoping lightning will strike twice, each day I have it somewhat negates that thought :) I am learning to become habituated but as I hear several different noises it's been difficult - most of the noises I hear I can rather easily ignore except for one clattering rattle I've named "the glass rattlesnake) and that one still sets my teeth on edge.

• Friendly Friendly x 3
      • Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    4. Sean

Sean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01-01-2011
      Anniem- how did u get T 10 years ago ?

• Hug Hug x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      epin3m
      Badass

epin3m Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Thanks @AnnieM . It is good to know that it really goes away in certain cases.

It gives me hope knowing a true case of tinnitus disappearing, although unfortunately it came back again. I am sorry to hear that :(

The thing is that I believe that there are several cases of people recovering from Tinnitus but I think that we do not get to learn about them because not many people go back to the audiologist to report it.

Besides, not every single sufferer posts about his T and the feedback you get on the Net is all negative , except on Tinnitus Talk of course :). So I believe that many people just post when they feel really bad and do not feel the need to do it again when they get rid of T

I would love to hear if anyone else knows other stories from people who recover: Relatives, acquaintances or friends.

Thanks!

6. Meestijn
      Balanced

Meestijn Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      Hi Epin3m,

I have some people around me, learned after hit by T myself some 3 months ago, who have T as well.
      In 2 cases the T (one high freq. pitch) diminished to a state of non-excist, only when searching for it, they can dig up the sound. 1 case (static noise alike) got it on and off. Months nothing and then some months T.

Furthermore, this is something I found on the net... (which keeps me motivated to keep positive that one day my T is not there anymore or at least only a faint background noise)

"I have been speaking to many people and read stories of people who got rid of their ringing in the ears . I wanted to put everything together for you.First, I must mention that I was able to find less stories of recovery from tinnitus on the internet. That's when I thought it may be forever. But then, I came across people in real life. It was astonishing to know that so many people I know had gone through this, I didn't even know. How could this be? Then I thought, if we completely got rid of the noise overnight, a very few number of us would ever come back to the board tomorrow, because you want to forget. That's why, reading the stuff on the internet is going to be always more depressing because people come here when they feel bad and lonely. In real life, stories of recovery are more common and we need to remember that.
      1-4 people I spoke to were in their early 50s. All told me that they woke up one day with ringing and it went away in one year.
      2-Our neighbor had stress related tinnitus, after she lost her mother. Her doctor put her on prozac and ginko. she was almost back to normal, but 6 months into it she started having panic attacks and went back to square one.It took her over a year and she completely got rid of the noise.
      3-A family friend took an overseas flight. When he landed his ears were ringing. He said he got really depressed and used a lot of anti depressants. He doesn't know whether it was the loud engine or the pressure change that caused it. His ears rang for 2 years and he fully recovered.
      4-I know 3 people in the army whose ears rang over a year after they left the army.
      5-I saw stories of at least 5 people on the internet whose ears rang for at least 6-7 months after a loud concert. In addition to that 2 friends of mine healed in 1- 1.5 years. I came across a story of a fellow forum member who healed in 2 years. In his post he also mentioned another friend of his who also had recovered in 2 years. All of them are noise induced tinnitus.
      6-My friend's mom had stress related T after she lost her husband. She said her ears rang for 2 years and then she fully recovered.
      7-I am not even writing stories of so many people who recovered in less than 6 months.
      So, if you come to this board as a newbie, and if you are feeling depressed, afraid and if you feel you can't go on... Stop for a moment and take a deep breath. It will get better and you will heal. We just need to accept that we are going to go through a difficult time period for a while.Cheers"

• Like Like x 9
      • Winner Winner x 4
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 4
      • Informative Informative x 2
    7. daedalus

daedalus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2007
      Yes, i have read many stories of people getting silence back. Sometimes after several years of tinnitus. Most spontaneously others trough treatment. But it is rather rare. What is much less rare are people who have tinnitus, are debilitated by it, but are back to their normal selves without being much bothered by the t after a while. That's a common form of recovery.

I pertain to that second category.

• Like Like x 3
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      epin3m
      Badass

epin3m Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Good to hear those stories @Meestijn . Specially those you know around you!

@daedalus My goal is to be part of that category too. I would be satisfied having T if i could live my life as if I did not have it. That is recovery for me but of course I much rather getting rid of it forever.

So while I try to habituate and overcome it, I like knowing that there is still a slight chance that one day my T will no longer be with me. Learning stories about people who really experienced that gives me faith :).

• Like Like x 1
    9. mick1987
      No Mood

mick1987 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      My dad ruptured his eardrum when he stuck a cable tie in his ear, he had bad tinnitus for a year until waking up one morning and the noise had gone.
      He keeps telling me mine will go, but I'm doubtful because mine is from loud noise, wouldn't it be great though!

• Like Like x 1
    10. Cher69
      Fine

Cher69 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      20/5/2013
      My best friend ( who has been a rock to me through all of this ) told me that she now when going to bed in those moments of silence can now also hear something ! She laughed and said I've made her find her T - its not bothering her she prob always had it - but only now after helping me found her 'noise'

Can anyone remember a noise before T that they didn't really tune into ? I ask my family to tell me what they hear in the quiet of their bedrooms I wish I could remember what I used to hear when I heard nothing !!

Does that make sense?? cher x

11. Amelia
      Daring

Amelia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      Funny you say that about your friend @Cher69 - I had no idea my husbands ears rang until my T started! While his isn't as loud as mine Nd it in no way worry a him at all it's kind of comforting to know I'm not alone.

12. awbw8
      Balanced

awbw8 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2013
      I've heard a lot of stories of tinnitus going away, actually. I think it depends a lot on how you got it, but I heard of one guy (and wrote him - he could be lying, but I'm not sure what purpose that would serve) who supposedly got it from a night at a loud bar/club and found silence again a decade later.

It can definitely happen, but I've heard a lot of stories from people I know well and personally who, as other have said, got T, had months of panic and then habituated completely. That I know is possible. A lot of these people have also said that the t gets a little quieter over time as well.

Either way, you're headed for a kind of recovery, even though I know we all want silence.

• Like Like x 1
    13. Balthazar

Balthazar Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/13
      My Dad woke up with it once for no obvious reason, it lasted 3 months and then disappeared.

He also tells me it will go away Mick, but like you mine is noise induced so I'm less optimistic. Still I'm functioning a whole lot better than I was a few weeks ago, I guess just got to roll with the punches.

14. James White
      Anime

James White Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Maybe loud music. Not sure.
      I know someone who had tinnitus for 6 months from a loud explosion in the subway, it was very hard for her and it disappeared one morning

I've got my annoying tinnitus now for around 7 months, it can hear it clearly but it bothers me less. I hope it will go away, i also pray some of you will have yours go away by magic :)

What i start to feel now is that i can't even remember what silence sounded like ... :( i try to imagine but i forgot how it is ...

• Like Like x 1
    15. mick1987
      No Mood

mick1987 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I have had tinnitus now for 15 months, but already am behind in progress than most of you, had mild tinnitus for 14 months, only this past 5 weeks can I hear it all the time because of loud noise exposure. I feel like I am starting again, a newbie, I'm so frustrated.

• Hug Hug x 2
    16. yonkapin

yonkapin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2012
      I used to hear loud humming in my head most of my life, it would come and go for weeks and months at a time, I was so crazy habituated to it though, to the point where it was pretty much non existent and when I did (rarely) focus on it, it was actually comforting. Weird aye?

I also had pulsatile tinnitus when I first got tinnitus which went away, this also happened to my sister - she had pulsatile tinnitus out of nowhere for about 3 months.

I've read quite a few stories where people "lose" their tinnitus, and many more who achieve real habituation to the point where it doesn't affect them anymore.

My dad also had tinnitus but had no idea what it was or cared for it, the only way I found out was by asking if he heard anything in his head and made the typically hissing noise and he was like "oooh yeah, I do", then that was it - never stopped him from functioning, and he was pretty deaf (worked with super loud tools and never, ever, wore ear plugs) also so I'm guessing his tinnitus would've been quite significant. I also found out my sisters boyfriend had it, but only because I brought it up one night at dinner and he was like, "oh that static noise?" - he didn't even know what tinnitus was but said if he focused on it, he could hear what he described as static - never bothered him either. A couple friends also have tinnitus and laughed when I was worried about it, they've had it a lot longer and don't care about it.

• Like Like x 4
    17. seal

seal Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      That does make sense, I just recently asked my mother about it, because I can barely remember how silence sounds... I asked her to describe it to me.

• Hug Hug x 1
    18. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      It doesn't sound like anything...

19. seal

seal Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      no I don't think so. I remember that when I laid in bed it was very silent but I could still somehow hear my blood flow a little bit and of course my breath.. so silence for me has a sound(although I can't really remember how it felt). just not ringing, buzzing and roaring in the ears/head.

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Useful Useful x 1
    20. meeruf
      Badass

meeruf Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Diving

That is so interesting. I just can't understand how people can be that little bothered by tinnitus. Like its a no issue. Makes you wonder...

21. Relic Hunter
      Cynical

Relic Hunter Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/1990
      I think it all depends on the level of the tinnitus and the individual character and psychological makeup of the person affected.

I had tinnitus years ago. It was there loud and clear when I was in a silent place such as now when about the only sound in my home at 4 am is the hum of the computer. I did not like it but it did not bother me..I do not know how long I had even had it. I sometimes wonder if it had not been there for much longer than I remember. I was able to completely ignore it as the everyday sounds mostly masked it. It was not a big issue in my life even thought I would have gladly gotten rid of it if I could.

I knew I had tinnitus. I researched it, I went to a Dr. and found there was no cure. It remained a problem in my life but I had other health issues that out weighed it.

When it got louder it crossed a line where as it was no longer ignorable and became intrusive. It went from just an annoyance to a serious life threatening problem and remains the same today.

I really do not understand how people with really loud intrusive tinnitus can be able to ignore it. I believe our ability to ignore it depends mostly upon the volume level.

• Agree Agree x 5
      • Like Like x 1
    22. meeruf
      Badass

meeruf Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Diving

I don't know what to believe. Other people say that tinnitus volume don't matter. I have some loud days I really don't care about my tinnitus. I also have some quiet days when it actually bothers me.

23. Relic Hunter
      Cynical

Tinnitus Since:
      01/1990
      Speaking only for myself, volume is the key. One my good days my tinnitus lowers to a level approaching what it was years ago. I still do not like it but has lowered itself to a level that it is no longer an intrusive problem. I feel like a different person.

Years ago I knew little about tinnitus. I thought my tinnitus was just as bad as anyone's. I would not have understood at that time why so many people were bothered by it to the extent that some were. Some very gravely.

I did not understand then, but I do now. People who say volume is of no concern either have very mild T as I once did or no T at all.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    24. meeruf
      Badass

meeruf Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Diving

Maybe you are right. I really don't know what to believe. Maybe its different from person to person. I promise you. There are days my tinnitus can be heard over everything else, but I really don't care about it.

25. Per

Per Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Did u ever find out what caused your T? Any theories? And what type of response from medical people did u get when it went away? If it went away once it can go away again.

• Informative Informative x 1
    26. Per

Per Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      I totally agree. Volume is paramount. It's like physical pain, if the loose tooth doesn't cause pain it doesn't really matter but another person could be struggling with severe tooth ache, making the same condition unbearable. Same thing with T, it's the freaking loud volume that bothers me. Those who say "T is T" don't have a clue. That's like saying "pain is pain". I've had bad pain and I've had moderate pain, the experience is very different needles to say. The severity defines the condition, no doubt.

• Agree Agree x 5
      • Hug Hug x 1
    27. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      epin3m
      Badass

epin3m Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Thank you all for posting stories about people you know who really got rid of T. It is really encouraging and I´d like to hear more if anyone else knows.

• Like Like x 1
    28. Sybs
      Inspired

Sybs Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      I am so relieved to have stumbled on this thread today as last night was a terrible night for me. My T lessened quite a lot yesterday after 3-4 weeks of more or less being pretty loud, so I was feeling quite positive but as soon as I went upstairs to bed it got loud and kept me awake and I started panicking and feeling like I was having a breakdown - I felt so helpless and depressed for the future. This is my second bout of it after not being bothered by it for 5-6 months. I am convinced my eustachean tube is malfunctioning and full of liquid which I am trying hard to get rid of with nasal spray and lots of valsalva but I am so glad I just read those positive stories above - thank you @Meestijn

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    29. awbw8
      Balanced

awbw8 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2013
      @meeruf @Relic Hunter I really do think it's more about the make-up of the person than the volume. All of us are obviously of the make-up that we're bothered by tinnitus, so the volume makes a big difference. Less volume, we're feeling better - closer to normal, more volume, more torture.

My father has had screaming tinnitus in both ears since he was around 25. He worked in machine shops, went to war, etc. He says he can hear it over anything except in the shower. I know his hearing isn't so great either because he's always speaking loudly :)

Anyway, he was never bothered by it when I was growing up, never mentioned it. I almost wish a little that it had bothered him more, because perhaps he would have educated me more about noise exposure. He always told me I wouldn't get it because he shot guns etc. and I didn't do those kinds of destructive things. I always wore earplugs when I was working in his shop etc. Neither of us really guessed about loud music (ah well).

Annnyway - his is way louder than mine and he's had it for five-ish decades. He says he'd sure get rid of it if he could, but otherwise he just doesn't care. He's never even looked for a cure. When I started looking for treatments and asked if he was interested, he said he wasn't bothered enough by it to put in the effort. He is so chill about it he can't even remember when or how exactly he got it. I, for one, can remember the second I first heard it in unpleasantly vivid detail. It's burned in my mind forever.

So, I really don't think volume has to control you, we just have to work at training our brains to be a bit more like those of the people who aren't affected by it in that way.

• Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
    30. Relic Hunter
      Cynical

Tinnitus Since:
      01/1990
      I think it is a combination of volume control as well as the psychological make up of the person. And there in lies the problem. If the volume of sound as well as the sounds itself were the same for all T suffers we would have an excellent base line in which not only to find a cure for T but to judge each person's reaction to it.

I envy the people who are able just to ignore their T. They are blessed. But why is it that I cannot. I have little use for psychiatrists, but did see one numerous times under orders more or less from the veterans administration. After several useless sessions I asked my "shrink" if she had ever counseled any other vets. with this problem. "Yes, but you are the worse case I have ever had" was the reply.

Why, Why? am I the worse. What stands out about me and the few others that have such a hard time with this. I have tried to answer that question but there is no answer. Why are we so different? Are we the norm and the others the exception. Why cannot I change?

• Creative Creative x 1