Is It Unusual to See Swelling Behind the Eardrum After an Acoustic Trauma?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Alue, Aug 24, 2020.

1. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I had a horrible night last night with fire alarms going off multiple times. One of the times it was directly above my head and I wasn't wearing any hearing protection. This morning when I woke up I had muffled hearing in my right ear. I already have loud tinnitus and hyperacusis, I'm really worried about the muffled hearing and the possibility of this making things worse.

I decided to look at my eardrums with a digital otoscope and my right eardrum has a noticeable swollen lump on it. Is it normal to be able to see damage with an otoscope when the eardrum hasn't been perforated? At first I thought (I was hoping) it may be something on top of my tympanic membrane, but I can see blood vessels through it.

Does anyone know what it could be? I don't think I have otitis media, and I don't think the lump just occurred at a coincidental time. Obviously I'm trying to get in to see an ENT, but until then I can't stop wondering about it.

Here is what it looks like:

wBwLy1Cl.jpg

Is there anyone on this forum that can chime in? It looks like the swelling is over the pars tensa, but I have no idea what it could mean. I don't think it's coincidental that it happened immediately after an acoustic trauma.

• Hug Hug x 3
    2. Thuan

Thuan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection right ear 2018. Sound trauma left ear 2020.
      I'm not a doctor nor have experience but... it looks like cholesteatoma. It usually takes a while for it to build up. Have you looked at your ear drum recently? When was the last time that looked normal?

It's described as skin growth that looks like a cyst or pouch. From that picture, it looks like a yellow pouch with some white skin/tissue below it. Cholesteatoma is not cancerous but it can damage your ear bones. If you suspect that it is, you might want to get to the ENT asap and describe the situation to the nurse to see if she can slot you with priority.

Also, there seems to be a clear, see-through spot on the bottom right that's not connected to the canal. Can you take different view? Might want to make sure there isn't a perforation.

Best wishes.

• Informative Informative x 1
    3. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      HI @Alue

Sorry to see this swelling in your ear for it looks quite painful and hope it isn't. This is undoubtedly a job for a professional. Please see your ENT doctor as soon as possible to diagnose and treat.

Take care.
      Michael

PS: There is an old adage concerning the ear: don't put anything smaller than your elbow in it. If you frequently use the otoscope or put other instruments in your ear I advise against it as they could cause infection.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I haven't looked at it recently. Normally I only look when something is in question.

Cholesteatoma was one of my guesses. Thanks. I'm getting to get it looked at ASAP. The fact that I had an acoustic trauma just before the muffled hearing and noticing it is strange. My hearing was muted the morning after the trauma. An acoustic trauma wouldn't cause cholesteatoma though right?

The see-through spot is supposed to be the cone of light right? I'll take some more images tomorrow. I'm going to try to get some sleep here as I didn't get much last night.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      It's hard to see that portion of the eardrum. This is the best I could get.

Je6V39Vl.jpg

6. Thuan

Thuan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection right ear 2018. Sound trauma left ear 2020.
      It looks connected. You have really clean ear canals btw. When I used my otoscope my ear canal has so much junk. Best wishes when you see the ENT.

7. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      I don't see how it could...

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I did not notice muffled hearing in that ear until after the event, but the lump on my eardrum could explain the hearing change. I'm puzzled and worried.

Maybe clapping my hands over my ears in response to the painfully loud alarm caused a perforation?

I'm hoping the muffled hearing is conductive hearing loss and not sensorineural.

• Hug Hug x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    9. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      I think that's unlikely, given the physics involved in the transfer of energy from your hand to your ear drum.