Is My Job Too Loud (Cafe)?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Frenger, Nov 14, 2016.

1. Frenger

Frenger Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hey all,

I have been working in a cafe for 2 months now and I enjoy my job. Lately I have been concerned whether a cafe environment is too loud for me or not... Recently it seems like I'm bothered by T more than before but I've also been stressed out because of work drama so that could explain it.

Thoughts?

2. gotyoubynuts

gotyoubynuts Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      Some cafes are louder than others, depends where they're located!

99 out of 100 times they are not harmfully loud

Can you bring a PRO decibel meter at work and measure the loudness levels?

3. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      I downloaded a sound app on my phone..

I notice cafes can be quite noisy, but thats probably because i have hyperacusis too..

Stress will definately impact on your t..id say give it a bit more time, work through whatever stresses you are faced with, and see how you feel ...

4. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      The environment that you are working in is likely to be responsible for the symptoms that you are experiencing. You could try wearing noise-reducing earplugs when at work. They will suppress sound levels to be more tolerable but won't impair sound quality. 18 decibels atenuation is usually recommended, and hopefully this will reduce any anxiety that you are feeling. Only wear them in noisy surroundings (like your work) and not to suppress normal ever day sounds, as there is a risk of making your auditory system hypersensitive, that could lead to hyperacusis which is something that you don't want.
      Michael

5. Tom Cnyc

Tom Cnyc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Warehouse event after years of enjoying music.
      @Michael Leigh I think the issue is defining what "every day sounds" are. Work is an "every day" event. Nobody without tinnitus would ever wear earplugs at the cafe. Front row for Slayer, yeah - but a cafe? that's an "every day" sound.

6. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @Tom Cnyc Not for someone with tinnitus and working for long durations where sound levels will easily be in excess of 85db. I know someone that works in a school and has intrusive tinnitus. She wears noise reducing earplugs at lunch time in the dinner hall, because the sound of the screaming kids (her words) is just too much for her. Whilst I don't normally recommed the use of noise reducing earplugs in such situations, there are exceptions. And I did advise Frenger to try and not wear them too often outside of work.
      Michael

7. lymebite
      Vegged out

lymebite Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      • Agree Agree x 1
    8. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      • Like Like x 1
    9. Bobby B
      Fine

Bobby B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Large caliber rifles&machine guns, +30 years of loud clubs
      Wearing plugs isn't going to give a permanent H increase
      It may give you a bit of increased sound sensitivity, similar to H for a few minutes once you remove the plugs but that's about it

Millions of people wear plugs in silent places at times, for years and no one got permanent H.

So yes - wear plugs of ear muffs if you feel it's too noisy .
      Also depends a lot on how you got your T. If you have perfect ears then cafe noise is less of an issue

• Agree Agree x 2